The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 20, 2021, 01:06:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 01:06:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: element positions  (Read 3586 times)
sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 31, 2010, 05:37:50 pm »

If you have an altar with the elements on it, I was wondering what positions you put them in. (I mean, North, East, South, West.) I've heard several different versions, so I was curious what everyone else thought. Also, what are your reasons for putting them in the positions they're in?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 31, 2010, 09:55:50 pm »

If you have an altar with the elements on it, I was wondering what positions you put them in. (I mean, North, East, South, West.) I've heard several different versions, so I was curious what everyone else thought. Also, what are your reasons for putting them in the positions they're in?

I do the fairly standard western Europe-derived one:
East = Air
South = Fire
West = Water
North = Earth

My reasons: the tradition I work in has links between the directions and other parts of our ritual practice: it'd be possible to shift them for my personal work, but I don't have a sufficiently good reason to do so, and find the overlays of connection handy.

The reasons for that get a good bit more complicated to explain (because it's layer upon layer in different part of the practices), but I'm glad to dig into it a little if someone gets me started with specific questions.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 31, 2010, 10:24:06 pm »

East = Air
South = Fire
West = Water
North = Earth

Same here, mainly because it is what I'm used to for magic work and it works.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
tinapo85
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 02, 2011, 12:52:04 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Tina Palmer

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 01, 2010, 01:11:42 am »

East = Air
South = Fire
West = Water
North = Earth

In General that is what I do, but when i lived near the ocean water was always east as the ocean was east. There was just a strong energy pull for water in that direction so i went with it.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: April 01, 2010, 07:16:22 am »

In General that is what I do, but when i lived near the ocean water was always east as the ocean was east. There was just a strong energy pull for water in that direction so i went with it.

Water's east for me, too, but for no good reason other that that's how it settled into my brain.  I have in the past been known to be slightly dyslexic with east and west (and occasionally left and right); when I learned the positions of the elements, water and air got flipped in my mind, and they just kind of stuck that way.

Barring working in a specific tradition with specific requirements (as Jenett mentions), I think probably whatever makes sense to the person doing the working is probably what will work best.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 01, 2010, 08:25:36 am »

East = Air
South = Fire
West = Water
North = Earth
Why? Because that's what I first learned when starting on my path so many years ago and it stuck. I, too, live in an area where the largest body of water is about a hour East of me. However, this has never once affected how I positioned elements during rituals.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 01, 2010, 08:31:41 am »

East = Air
South = Fire
West = Water
North = Earth

This is how I was taught to do it too, and it seems like, once you have learned it, it becomes second nature and you can't do it any other way.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 01, 2010, 10:33:36 am »

This is how I was taught to do it too, and it seems like, once you have learned it, it becomes second nature and you can't do it any other way.

Mmm, that's how I learned from books back in my neo-Wiccish days, and every time I ran into it I stalled out on "But it doesn't make any sense!"

tinapo85
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 02, 2011, 12:52:04 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Tina Palmer

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 01, 2010, 11:32:10 am »

I, too, live in an area where the largest body of water is about a hour East of me. However, this has never once affected how I positioned elements during rituals.

Perhaps the distance, when I lived near the ocean I was less than a block away and could see it from my driveway. Smaller bodies of water don't affect it and even now I have a large pond 5 minutes east, that doesn't do it either.

It was just right when I lived near the ocean.
sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 01, 2010, 12:41:25 pm »

Thanks for your answers guys. I've always done it: N;earth, E;air, S;water, w;fire.

I was wondering if it was symbolic in some way or if there was some meaning to why earth was in the north, etc. If not, then I guess it doesn't matter one bit where they go!
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #10: April 01, 2010, 12:50:49 pm »

This.
And it makes sense where I live.

Though I feel awkward with changing the main directions after all those years of work, I don't have a problem with the fact that every element is found in every direction.

I was wondering if it was symbolic in some way or if there was some meaning to why earth was in the north, etc. If not, then I guess it doesn't matter one bit where they go!

I'm sure there is some deeper or more elaborate sense within the western magic tradition to put earth in the north for ex.
But I can't answer this question, I'm afraid.

When I've read about a Mexican healer, that north is seen as the direction of the ancestors, this made so much sense to me, that I added it to my symbolism.

I think personal symbolism is very important here.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 01, 2010, 04:06:07 pm »

I always did
E-Earth
S-Fire
W-Air
N-Water

I'm not sure where I came up with it. I think I had it engrained at an early age with Feng Shui, but I honestly don't know- it's just how I've always done it and associated it.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 01, 2010, 08:48:26 pm »

Well, yes, in the sense that the symbolism comes from the geography of western Europe, and over time got carried into other parts of practice in some ways. If you're not using stuff derived from those traditions (which admittedly includes not only traditional Wicca, but a lot of European folklore, folk magic, and a certain amount of the more ceremonial practices too), then changing them is less of an issue.

One thing I think about when I'm in circle - though I happen to live in an area where there's no compelling location of water (except 'walk a mile or three in any direction, there'll be some' brought on by living by the Mississippi in the land of 10,000 lakes), where the south is the warmth of the sun, that it depends on what you're doing, north is a whole bunch of earth, and .. well, ok, our prevailing weather sometimes comes from the north west, but I'm not sure we actually want to *encourage* the frozen tundra winds that come from Alberta. The eastern ones are balmier, when we get them.

For my tradition, the directions in circle are called 'north' and 'east' and whatever. But what they really are is creating the compass for the circle: and there's no reason that that compass necessarily has to match up one to one with the physical reality. After all, the circle's a space between worlds.

It's more like 'here's the set of constructions that we're using here, so we're clear about what's where.' Having them consistent - and being able to anchor to the other connections they have within the tradition - turns out to be helpful. It's just not the only possible answer.

But having the ties - that water is west, that west is the unknown, the things that are not obvious, the things that take courage and daring, that come from western European lore, tie together. That the dawn in the east, the brisk winds of spring, the growing light of knowledge connect. That the fires of the south, the warm of noon, that echoes the hearthfire and cooking stove, but that takes focus and attention to handle well. And the north, reminder that things grow, but they also fade and die in winter. The flowering plant and the dark cave. We could rearrange those, if we had to - but there's so many pieces interwoven there that I'd need a really good reason to even want to do the work to see how to begin, since the existing methods work so well.

There is also the slightly flippant part of me that goes all librarian at people, and calls the elemental associations the Dewey Decimal system of magic: each item needs its place, and putting the same thing in every section makes them hard to find. We're humans, humans seek patterns, and giving it some framework to play with - whether we call those directions or quarters or 'to know, to will, to dare, and to keep silent' or something else entirely are all really just ways to be able to lay hands on the resource when we need it.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)