The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 11:34:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 11:34:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dedication-Ritual - Some Inspiration Pretty Please?  (Read 9666 times)
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: April 07, 2010, 05:35:45 pm »

Celtic Spirit-Fire: An Adventurous Journey Into the Sacred World[/i], by Michael McCoy

Slightly off-topic: I haven't heard of this one. Thoughts?

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: April 07, 2010, 06:38:16 pm »

Slightly off-topic: I haven't heard of this one. Thoughts?

I haven't been able to read the whole thing, of course, so I don't really have an opinion.  The large first part is basically autobiographical -- about how the author discovered and explored Celtic spirituality, IIRC.  Then there is a section of "reflections" -- short little thoughts and quotes about various things like honor, family, etc.  I skipped that part -- it reminded me of the Chicken Soup books, and they just don't do it for me.  IMO, the most useful part of the book is the last section, which is on ritual and includes invocations and things like that.  I think those can be pretty good starting points for one's own work on ritual or dedications, etc.

I'm glad to have this book because it IS one of the very few recent books that at least tries to provide some kind of structure and pointers for actual modern practice.  I definitely don't agree with everything the author says, but, as I said, parts can be inspirational.

FWIW.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: April 07, 2010, 08:31:19 pm »

Still I'd be happy over some details of this meditation, if it doesn't bother you to look it up?

Check your PMs.   Cheesy

Also, do you have access to Mara Freeman's book, Kindling the Celtic Spirit?  There's a chapter for each month, and each chapter includes a guided meditation.  I think one or two might be useful for you, especially the January meditation, which is about creating a new vision for your future.  It seems like it could be very adaptable to a dedication meditation.  There's also a meditation on the "well of wisdom" and learning to listen to one's soul; and one on the Tree of Life, which focuses on turning visions into reality (that's the one in the April chapter).  Oh, and another on transformation, using a cauldron motif.  I think any of those might give you some ideas.

If you don't have that book, and you're interested, let me know.

Just FWIW, I really like this book.  It has some great ideas for activities -- crafts, recipes, celebrations, tree planting, things like that -- as well as retellings of myths; info on various deities, plants, and animals; blessings and invocations, etc.  I find it to be very inspiring for actual things to do.

Another book that might be helpful is Alexei Kndratiev's The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual.  I think it's been published in different countries under other titles.  Also, it's one of the very first Celtic recon-ish books, and was written before CR was very solidified.  A common critique of this book is that it's somewhat Wiccish.  However, if you go into it with that understanding, it can spark lots of ideas for ritual.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #18: April 08, 2010, 04:47:21 am »

Thanks  Kiss

I think I'll get both books - if I can - but it won't be in time for next week.
But they sound really useful anyway. Thanks for the info.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #19: April 08, 2010, 04:54:15 am »

'Kindling the Celtic Spirit' is available and will take about ten days.
The other book I couldn't find. But that's ok, I take that as a sign, that I don't need it. Wink
But I'm looking forward reading the first one.  Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: April 08, 2010, 11:32:46 am »

I haven't been able to read the whole thing, of course, so I don't really have an opinion.  The large first part is basically autobiographical -- about how the author discovered and explored Celtic spirituality, IIRC.  Then there is a section of "reflections" -- short little thoughts and quotes about various things like honor, family, etc.  I skipped that part -- it reminded me of the Chicken Soup books, and they just don't do it for me.  IMO, the most useful part of the book is the last section, which is on ritual and includes invocations and things like that.  I think those can be pretty good starting points for one's own work on ritual or dedications, etc.

I'm glad to have this book because it IS one of the very few recent books that at least tries to provide some kind of structure and pointers for actual modern practice.  I definitely don't agree with everything the author says, but, as I said, parts can be inspirational.

FWIW.

Hm. Sounds like one I should try to read in the bookstore or something.  Cheesy

Also, man I need to buy Kindling the Celtic Spirit. I borrowed it so long ago from the library and loved it so much. It's probably one of the number one books recommended here in this SIG, actually.

darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 10, 2010, 09:45:14 am »

But the idea of blessing the water and pour the bowl is not bad - could go out on the balkony for this.

I think a bowl of water out on the balcony is a great idea--maybe under the stars?  Whatever works for you. Smiley

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #22: April 10, 2010, 01:45:54 pm »

I think a bowl of water out on the balcony is a great idea--maybe under the stars?  Whatever works for you. Smiley

Since mentioning the possibility to do the ritual outside, I feel urged to do so.
I'm more of a living-room witch, but I got the feeling my Lady likes the idea very much.

Under the stars would be fine, but I don't want to go into the fields at night. It is dark there, I'm not afraid of the dark, but the chance to find a mole's hole or something is rather good. There's too much trouble on the practical side of things to run into.

I thought about dawn. There should nobody be around then.

I'll just get a witchy picknick together and find myself a nice place. Smiley

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #23: April 13, 2010, 04:25:54 pm »

A little update.
Since it's already Tuesday.  Shocked

Today I took a pretty long walk with my dog, to look for the right place.
I thought it would be a bad idea to do this on Thursday morning, packed with baskets and bags.  Cheesy

Found something that is not too open - trees don't have leaves yet - and I like to feel a bit camouflaged.  Grin

Unfortunately the weather turned cooler and it's raining.
The forecast says it's going to be a bit better though.

So it will be a witchy ritual-picknick!  Cheesy

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #24: April 14, 2010, 06:32:15 pm »

Don't you love it, when mundane life runs into your spiritual plans?
I gotta take one of the kitties to the vet tomorrow.
(I hope he's ok. Oh gods, please let him be ok.  Sad )

The rest of the day, will depend on how this goes.

I'd do the picknick in the eveninghours then, instead of the morning.
I don't think my Lady will care about that, as long as I'll do the ritual.

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: April 14, 2010, 06:58:47 pm »

(I hope he's ok. Oh gods, please let him be ok.  Sad )

The rest of the day, will depend on how this goes.

I'd do the picknick in the eveninghours then, instead of the morning.
I don't think my Lady will care about that, as long as I'll do the ritual.

I hope he's okay too. ((((Tana))))

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #26: April 14, 2010, 07:36:17 pm »

I hope he's okay too. ((((Tana))))

Thank you.
He lost weight but seems totally ok and normal otherwise.
I can think of a few reasons, hope it's one of the harmless ones.

darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: April 15, 2010, 08:47:06 am »

Hope your kitty is ok...(((Tana and kitten)))

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #28: April 15, 2010, 10:10:51 am »

Hope your kitty is ok...(((Tana and kitten)))

Thank you.
The vet took some blood and now we have to wait for the results.  Undecided

Nevertheless, I'm going to pack my basket now.
I do not feel like ritual at the moment, but life will always be throwing things at us that scare us or make us anxious.
There will be always moments, when you don't feel perfectly happy.
If you'd want to wait for the perfect moment, you'd never get anything done.

It will be not what I planned at the start of this idea.
It changed and became more 'me'. KISS - keep it simple stupid.
I have my cherry met, my ritual muffins (well, why not? Wink), my incenses, gotta pack up the chalice and my book and off we go.

darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: April 15, 2010, 11:49:18 am »

If you'd want to wait for the perfect moment, you'd never get anything done.

Thank you for this...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)