The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 30, 2022, 05:21:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 30, 2022, 05:21:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My Pagan Pilgrimage, pt 3: Roots  (Read 4554 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 04, 2010, 09:02:24 am »

Inspired by Treekisser's recent travelogue about Greece, I finally decided to sit down and right up another leg of my own travels. I'm on an on-again, off-again, 5-part pagan pilgrimage; this is a summary of Part 3, my trip to Africa, in January 2006.

It's on TCN as a blog post, with lots of photos. Check it out at...

http://ecauldron.ning.com/profiles/blogs/a-pagan-pilgrimage-part-3

...if you're so inclined, and let me know what you think.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Psimon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:10:11 pm

Religion: ADF (very new dedicant)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 04, 2010, 01:09:14 pm »

Beautiful, words and pictures both. I agree with SunflowerP -- I hope this someday makes its way into a book.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 04, 2010, 05:20:20 pm »

I'll add my call for a book.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 04, 2010, 07:51:56 pm »

I hope this someday makes its way into a book.

and

I'll add my call for a book.

Thanks, guys. I'd begun to think along those lines myself--esp. since I'll be undertaking the fifth and "final" part this October, so after that I'll be able to write up the whole thing--but I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 04, 2010, 09:03:14 pm »

....but I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested.

I don't know how much commercial interest there would be, but I suspect there would be enough interest among Pagans to make it worth doing, especially via POD or the like.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
jab1982
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 28, 2010, 01:47:58 pm

Religion: Wiccanish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 04, 2010, 10:51:44 pm »

Thanks, guys. I'd begun to think along those lines myself--esp. since I'll be undertaking the fifth and "final" part this October, so after that I'll be able to write up the whole thing--but I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested.
I'd buy it Smiley
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 05, 2010, 07:24:50 am »

Amazing. And I second (third, fourth, fifth?) the book idea. I'd love to hear about the other four parts.

Reading this I can't help but think back on my own visit to Ngorangora (funnily enough, also in 2006). Truly a remarkable place. Though it does raise the interesting question of where we consider our "origin". The home of our ancestors? The site of the evolution of the first humans? Primates? Mammals? Life?? On the one hand Ngorangora is one origin, however, I have my own issues with considering it the origin.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 05, 2010, 10:18:39 am »

I'd love to hear about the other four parts.

Part 4 is the only other one I've written up. It's here:

http://ecauldron.ning.com/profiles/blogs/a-pagan-pilgrimage-part-4

Reading this I can't help but think back on my own visit to Ngorangora (funnily enough, also in 2006). Truly a remarkable place. Though it does raise the interesting question of where we consider our "origin". The home of our ancestors? The site of the evolution of the first humans? Primates? Mammals? Life?? On the one hand Ngorangora is one origin, however, I have my own issues with considering it the origin.

You're right, Kasmira; there's plenty of room for interpretation. In all my choices throughout the pilgrimage, I've tried to go with how we humans experience the world. So I was looking for human origins.

Of course, even that is open to interpretation. By "human" do I mean hominids in general, or our species, Homo sapiens, in particular? If hominids, then do you go with Homo erectus? Or do you take it even further back, before the genus Homo, to Australopithecus or some other genus? And which of those are known to actually have originated in the Ngorongoro area?

I don't make myself crazy with all that (esp. since most of those questions can't be answered with any certainty). It's enough for me that many hominid species, incl. our own, seem to have originated in East Africa, and my instincts tell me Ngorongoro is a focal point in that area--so if any one spot in East Africa is going to represent our origins, I let Ngorongoro do it. It's an act of imagination, like hearing our ancestors voices in the wind there, but it's grounded in reality. It's a big part of my paganism, like perceiving the divine in the everyday.

But that's what I love about this pilgrimage concept! It gets you thinking about different places, what they might signify, how to experience them. What you can learn from them. Everybody's choices will be a bit different, and I'm fascinated by that, too. I'd love to hear yours, if you're comfortable sharing them.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:37:00 am by Altair, Reason: fixed a typo » Logged

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 05, 2010, 12:20:14 pm »

I like it! How did you pick the places to go for each of the elements? I'm guessing you had a rough compass direction to go on, but narrowing down from there seems difficult.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 05, 2010, 01:44:31 pm »

I like it! How did you pick the places to go for each of the elements? I'm guessing you had a rough compass direction to go on, but narrowing down from there seems difficult.

Yes, rough compass directions--applied to the standard Mercator map of the world--was part of it. Since I wanted to scatter the sites across the globe for maximum diversity of environment, peoples/culture, etc., that helped guide my choices too.

I aimed for one for each continent (excluding Antarctica and counting the Americas as one). Since I have yet to find north/earth, we'll see if it actually works out that way.

Some are no-brainers (Qomolangma--Mt. Everest--for east/air, being both in the East as we Westerners perceive it, and being the highest point on the planet). Others are really tough; on a planet that's 70% surface water, what do you choose for west/water?

ehbowen
Master Member
Last Login:September 15, 2019, 01:51:40 am

Religion: Southern Baptist

The Loco Engineer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 05, 2010, 08:22:23 pm »

Some are no-brainers (Qomolangma--Mt. Everest--for east/air, being both in the East as we Westerners perceive it, and being the highest point on the planet). Others are really tough; on a planet that's 70% surface water, what do you choose for west/water?

As an ex-Navy man with five years at sea, I nominate Honolulu. On a sunny day the Pacific is the prettiest blue that you'll ever see, and as you make your approach to Honolulu you see virtually every shade of ocean color from deep blue to turquoise to green to gold (from light reflecting off the sand below). It is home to not one but two excellent harbors (Pearl and Honolulu) and has grown into the largest (and by some measures only) city in the central Pacific, largest ocean on the planet.

(Plus, I can sell you a cruise there at a great price...[/shameless plug])

--------Eric H. Bowen

Where's the KABOOM!? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Resistance is futile. We will be assimilated.—treekisser

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)