The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 24, 2022, 08:56:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2022, 08:56:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gods related to crows?  (Read 9655 times)
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm
United States United States

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 06, 2010, 03:43:26 pm »

Off-hand, I think Apollon has links to ravens. I thought I remember reading somewhere that he has a cloak of raven feathers?

For some reason, I associate Hermes with crows and/or ravens. It's a bit weird.
Oh yes, I read that story. A raven told Apollo that his cows had been stolen by Hermes ("the Twelfth Olypmian"), but Apollo called the raven a liar and turned it black. Then Apollo found out it was true.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 06, 2010, 04:04:15 pm »

I'm not 100% on board with the akin to the Furies idea, but it is valid.

I should have clarified- not akin to the Furies in role, but similar in that they are individuals that function as a group, instead of simply being nameless, faceless "phantom creatures." I apologize for the confusion- I keep leaving things out by accident lately. Undecided

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 06, 2010, 04:50:11 pm »

I should have clarified- not akin to the Furies in role, but similar in that they are individuals that function as a group, instead of simply being nameless, faceless "phantom creatures." I apologize for the confusion- I keep leaving things out by accident lately. Undecided

Ah, that makes sense. And no, it's not you, I'm being critical and reading far to much into a lot of things.

artist97
Apprentice
Last Login:May 14, 2010, 04:29:50 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 08, 2010, 12:30:04 pm »

Oh yes, I read that story. A raven told Apollo that his cows had been stolen by Hermes ("the Twelfth Olypmian"), but Apollo called the raven a liar and turned it black. Then Apollo found out it was true.

Ravens DO talk. Picture this scenario: people in a skin boat course along the Pacific coast of the Americas, as the last continental glacier is receding.

A raven consort, perched on his (males talk more) mount at the front of the kayak, is sent aloft to scout for game or enemies. he spies a herd of mastodons, drinking from a stream that rages down to the sea. He returns to the boat and says, in human tongue "Game. Big game." Then chuckles in satisfaction as ravens are wont to do. ( I have them near me on the Blue Ridge in Virginia where they soar along the cliffs and speak incessantly ) 

Finding the game the male and female hunters (women were equal before patriarchy) approach and slay what they will. The raven feasts as they do, watching with glittering eye as the fire dies down on the shingled shore, the waves breaking in the background. The hunters are blond, and the woman's golden braid trails down her tanned back.

Magic was afoot in those times and we barely know of what they did. All I have said is science, which is what magic is, together in the same boat.

Blessings,

Arne
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 08, 2010, 12:41:04 pm »

Ravens DO talk. Picture this scenario:

I'm at work, so I don't really have time to compose a proper response to this at the moment. Suffice to say, I have major issues with the preceding, if it's being presented as a factual account.

ehbowen
Master Member
Last Login:September 15, 2019, 01:51:40 am

Religion: Southern Baptist

The Loco Engineer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 08, 2010, 01:37:09 pm »

Ravens DO talk.
I'm at work, so I don't really have time to compose a proper response to this at the moment. Suffice to say, I have major issues with the preceding, if it's being presented as a factual account.

Crows are smart. My father tells me about a pet crow that his parents used to have, named "Jim Crow." (Hey, it was the South and it was the '40s.) Although he was never actually trained, he picked up enough human language to communicate basic ideas. My dad remembers the crow saying, "Mama! Mama! Dog! Dog!" when the neighbor's dog came on the property.

--------Eric H. Bowen

Where's the KABOOM!? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Resistance is futile. We will be assimilated.—treekisser
artist97
Apprentice
Last Login:May 14, 2010, 04:29:50 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 08, 2010, 01:57:27 pm »

Who said it was factual?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??

It is an imagined scenario. I have seen plenty of talking crows. Here is a talking raven:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZyBNWVD70w

and here is Irene Pepperberg's famous parrot, Alex, who had syntax. That is, he could describe novel objects or events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6KvPN_Wt8I

These birds are actually smarter than chimps and they also communicate in human language.

Questions?
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 08, 2010, 02:01:47 pm »

Crows are smart. My father tells me about a pet crow that his parents used to have, named "Jim Crow." (Hey, it was the South and it was the '40s.) Although he was never actually trained, he picked up enough human language to communicate basic ideas. My dad remembers the crow saying, "Mama! Mama! Dog! Dog!" when the neighbor's dog came on the property.

Crows are said to be ridiculously smart. I can't cite whom, but I recall one scientist quoted as saying that if crows had opposable thumbs, we'd be done as the dominant species on the planet. Which probably overstates the case, but you get the idea.

But that's a far cry from the Paleolithic Hunter and His/Her Trusty Corvid Sidekick scenario described earlier. I'd need some sources for that.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 08, 2010, 02:05:29 pm »

It is an imagined scenario.

Thanks for the clarification.

Firaza
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 08, 2010, 07:57:53 pm »

It is an imagined scenario.

I was confused about your earlier post too, so thanks for clarifying. Smiley I do know that crows and ravens can learn to speak in the human tongue, and that they're one of the smartest animals on the planet.

I was just informed by a Native American friend that personal spiritual totems don't really exist in most modern communities, which is a bit disappointing! So I guess the research continues.

Cannaid
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 22, 2013, 09:32:37 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 09, 2010, 09:13:35 am »

Native American friend that personal spiritual totems don't really exist in most modern communities

At the risk of sounding argumentative I disagree.

As a Anishnabe/Irish woman I have experienced and continue to experience the benefits of being in relationship with my personal spiritual totems.  Perhaps your friend was inferring/stating that family and clan totems are at risk of disappearing?  That would be a reasonable assumption with the loss of culture and tradition that Aboriginal communities endure.

Just a thought.

Kindness first and in all things...
Firaza
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: April 09, 2010, 09:39:19 am »

Perhaps your friend was inferring/stating that family and clan totems are at risk of disappearing?

It seemed to me like she was saying they weren't so much spiritual as a personal representation of oneself. It was a bit confusing so I agreed to do more research before jumping to any conclusions.

Spirit Bear
Apprentice
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 11:57:24 pm

Religion: Wiccan (with druidic roots, no pun intended)
TCN ID: Spiritbear

violence isn't nor ever has been the answer...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: April 10, 2010, 12:14:50 am »

Long before I reconnected with my spirituality, I had felt an affinity towards crows. I take them as good omens, especially whenever I find them cawing outside of my building in the mornings. Typically I take it to mean that I will have a good day. The day after I decided to return to my faith, which was also a day of an important exam, I found them cawing outside of the exam building. When I went out this past weekend to my campus' spiritual center, just thinking about entering was incredibly unnerving and intimidating. When I arrived, I found a small murder cawing outside, as if urging me to enter.

I normally don't hear of crows in a favorable light, so I was wondering if there are any Gods or similar entities personified by or associated with the crow, especially as good omens? If it helps, I have Kemetic leanings, but I'm starting to think I'm more of a chaote or eclectic/multi-faith polytheist.
i do know they are the world's smartest bird, and that might play a crucial role.

The road less traveled, has many signs, "spirit bear was here" is a good sign you aren't on that road...
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: April 10, 2010, 03:59:46 pm »

I was confused about your earlier post too, so thanks for clarifying. Smiley I do know that crows and ravens can learn to speak in the human tongue, and that they're one of the smartest animals on the planet.

I was just informed by a Native American friend that personal spiritual totems don't really exist in most modern communities, which is a bit disappointing! So I guess the research continues.

Trying to think back on my very light American Indian studies and I think that the ravens were considered Thunderbirds. 

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: April 10, 2010, 04:06:50 pm »

Trying to think back on my very light American Indian studies and I think that the ravens were considered Thunderbirds. 

FWIW:

http://www.fiu.edu/~mizrachs/thunderbird-and-trickster.html
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/quillayute.html
http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TheOriginoftheThunderbird-Passamaquoddy.html

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)