The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2020, 10:41:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 10:41:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Human bones and what to do with them  (Read 3400 times)
Wood Rose
Apprentice
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 12:19:33 am
United States United States

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 07, 2010, 12:48:02 pm »

I am hoping that this is the right place to post this question if not please let me know so if something like this comes up again I can correct my error.

I will try and put this the best that I can however I got this information over the phone and so some of it might not be clear.

My best friend had a house guest stay with her for a while and when they parted it was not what the guest wanted. I am not sure when Guest returned to show BF something so I have no dates but it must have been in the past two months. Anyway, Guest placed into BF's hand a necklace with a cross and beads on it. Now, BF is a strong empath and her first thought was get this thing out of my house. Guest told her that the cross was made from human foot bone, and that it had come from the Dominican. BF assumed that Guest took the necklace with her when she left. Sometime later she found it in the back of a little used desk drawer.

BF then took it out to the woods behind her house, lit candles, said words, asked for the spirits forgiveness, and then buried it. Sense then her phone cuts out, her Internet is not working, and her lupus has flared up so badly that she cannot leave the house. Her ability to feel and see her passed loved ones is nearly gone, and she said that she can no longer feel those in her circle and I know that I can a few others can no longer feel her. In May a good friend of ours who is also a witch is coming from Europe to spend a few weeks with her, and BF may not be able to do anything until R get here.

Does anyone think that some or all of her current problems can be related to this necklace and if so what can be done about it? Thank you

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 07, 2010, 01:40:02 pm »

Does anyone think that some or all of her current problems can be related to this necklace and if so what can be done about it?

My advice would be to get it very far away. Very, very, very far away.

I don't like the idea of human bone being used in jewelry at all. IMO, it's just wrong. You desecrated the body, and angered the spirit of the deceased. I wouldn't be surprised if the spirit of the person whose bone had been used wasn't trying to make life chaotic. If your friend can manage until your other friend gets there, then a purification ritual or something may help. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do other than get it away.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 07, 2010, 02:19:19 pm »

My advice would be to get it very far away. Very, very, very far away.

I don't like the idea of human bone being used in jewelry at all. IMO, it's just wrong. You desecrated the body, and angered the spirit of the deceased. I wouldn't be surprised if the spirit of the person whose bone had been used wasn't trying to make life chaotic. If your friend can manage until your other friend gets there, then a purification ritual or something may help. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do other than get it away.

actually, I would think that she did the right thing by burying it, asking for forgiveness and so on, but I guess one might have to ask the traditions in the dominican republic. 

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 07, 2010, 03:37:40 pm »

You desecrated the body, and angered the spirit of the deceased.

Meh, I think maybe not so much. Keep in mind that what constitutes "desecration" is incredibly subjective and depends largely on your particular cultural point of view.  Human bones have been used as talisman and in religious contexts in a variety of cultures through the centuries.  The possibility occurs to me that the person who owned the piece of jewelry, or indeed the bone's original owner, may come from a cultural or religious perspective other than mainstream Western society. 

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: April 07, 2010, 03:53:32 pm »

In between the time that she felt 'get this thing out of my house' and the time she found that it was actually still in her house, did she have any of these problems?  If not, then it doesn't seem as if the existence of the necklace itself is the problem.  While it was lying dormant in a drawer it did nothing.  If it was only when your friend buried it and and asked forgiveness (the bones may have been perfectly content to be a necklace - not everyone is squicked out by that kind of memorial) that her problems started it may be that that rejection was the catalyst.

Finding out what such a necklace means is the most pressing priority, I would think.  If it is a guardian or luck thing, it may have been seriously offended at being 'thrown away' and apologized to.  Rejecting a protective talisman can conceivably cause it to become hostile.  Maybe another apology is in order, if she still knows where she buried it.  And then maybe she can pass it along to someone who would appreciate that sort of thing or return it to Guest, who may have simply forgotten it.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 07, 2010, 04:55:00 pm »

I think Marilyn has good ideas about where to start. However, its also possible that your friend's problem are completely unrelated to this necklace so your friend might not want to focus all attention on it. In other words, don't let possibility that it is the necklace blind her to other possible causes.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: April 07, 2010, 07:59:57 pm »

a necklace with a cross and beads on it....  Guest told her that the cross was made from human foot bone, and that it had come from the Dominican.
I see that Mandrina thought "came from the Dominican Republic", but my immediate thought was "came from the Dominicans", i.e., the Dominican Order - the description "a necklace with a cross and beads on it" sounds like a rosary, and I see from the Wikipedia article that the Dominican Order is very big on that concept.  (OTOH, the Dominican Republic is very heavily Catholic, so that could go either way.)

Since I was thinking in that direction, the "made from human foot bone" part called to mind relics of saints - which may not be directly relevant (saints' relics are usually protected by some kind of container, and a rosary incorporating a relic wouldn't be very likely to be in private hands), but if nothing else is an example of a (mainstream Western) tradition in which such usage is not desecrative or disrespectful at all.

I'm noting this mainly in connection with Marilyn's suggestion that discovering the necklace's significance would be of prime importance - I strongly agree with that (and the rest of what she said), and am suggesting another possible avenue to check out.

I also concur with what Randall said; it's never wise to ignore alternate possible causes.

Also - IME, which, while fairly extensive, is far from universal so I'm not saying this is the case - when someone explicitly says that something is made from human bone, they're virtually always doing it for the "ooky-spooky" impact, and frequently are either lying outright (i.e., know darn well that's not what it's made of) or don't actually have any idea at all whether that's what it's made of or not.  (Since the idea of "made from human bone" is unavoidably "ooky-spooky" in Western thinking, those who don't want that kind of effect generally avoid saying that, and choose less provocative phrasings, or don't mention it at all.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
sanctuary
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:23:23 am

Religion: Taoist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 11, 2010, 12:30:47 pm »

Also - IME, which, while fairly extensive, is far from universal so I'm not saying this is the case - when someone explicitly says that something is made from human bone, they're virtually always doing it for the "ooky-spooky" impact, and frequently are either lying outright (i.e., know darn well that's not what it's made of) or don't actually have any idea at all whether that's what it's made of or not.  (Since the idea of "made from human bone" is unavoidably "ooky-spooky" in Western thinking, those who don't want that kind of effect generally avoid saying that, and choose less provocative phrasings, or don't mention it at all.)

This was my thinking as well. There's really not much reason to make a point of saying that 'it's made from human bone' unless you're looking for a specific reaction...or trying to impress someone. There are also several places on the web where you can buy human bones...specifically foot and finger bones...so there's no telling who made the necklace (or if the bones are actually human at all). I've thought about buying a couple of them myself and having a pathologist friend of mine determine if they are in fact authentic but then I would have to find a way of disposing of them...and that's more than I care to deal with at this point. I hope your friend is doing better... Smiley

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”  Lao Tzu

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)