The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 19, 2020, 04:40:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2020, 04:40:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Asatru and Heathen Sources to Avoid  (Read 19867 times)
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 15, 2010, 04:24:28 pm »

Oh! I'm sorry, we don't intend to be rude, we just get going on a conversation and run with it. Cut in! We don't mind, we do it to each other all the time Smiley

well, while we've got the author here, what's the difference between the first and second editions of Hammer of the Gods?

Oh my, I get to ask the author questions OOh.

and yes, sorry, i quoted the wrong guy.  and now that I look at it, this should probably be in the good refernces thread, vs the reference to avoid.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:26:31 pm by mandrina, Reason: it would be great if I could A) finish a sentence, and B) spell. » Logged

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Wodening
Apprentice
Last Login:July 22, 2010, 06:22:19 am

Religion: Anglo-Saxon Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 16, 2010, 07:42:07 am »

well, while we've got the author here, what's the difference between the first and second editions of Hammer of the Gods?

Oh my, I get to ask the author questions OOh.

and yes, sorry, i quoted the wrong guy.  and now that I look at it, this should probably be in the good refernces thread, vs the reference to avoid.

Well, the second edition has had the rune section removed. The section on thews and honor has been expanded as well as the section on rites. Those are about it for the changes, other than a general rewrite and correction of a lot of typos that were not caught in the first edition.

---
Swain Wodening's Blog
http://swainblog.englatheod.org
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 19, 2010, 10:30:40 pm »

Well, the second edition has had the rune section removed. The section on thews and honor has been expanded as well as the section on rites. Those are about it for the changes, other than a general rewrite and correction of a lot of typos that were not caught in the first edition.

Thank you very much. That helps.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
hlewagastir
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 11, 2011, 11:14:22 am
Denmark Denmark

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 06, 2010, 04:29:44 pm »

There is a lot of VERY outdated material out there.

So it is adviced to avoid most of Victor Rydberg´s books since they tend to be highly romanticized and outdated.

In general it´s good to raise an eyebrow and be cautious when dealing with "scholary" sources from between 1800 and Groenbech (around 1910).
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: May 07, 2010, 10:47:32 pm »

There is a lot of VERY outdated material out there.

So it is adviced to avoid most of Victor Rydberg´s books since they tend to be highly romanticized and outdated.

In general it´s good to raise an eyebrow and be cautious when dealing with "scholary" sources from between 1800 and Groenbech (around 1910).
Great advice!

P.S. Please don't forget to quote when replying to posts. Thanks!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: June 13, 2011, 12:53:14 am »

So share your worst, and make sure to explain WHY you do not think it is a good source.
For some insights regarding Northern Tradition for the Solitary Practitioner by Galina Krasskova and Raven Kaldera, see the quoted reply below from a different thread. Applicable replies extend from approximately reply #35 (linked below, click the "Quote from..." line) to #39. Reply numbers can be found right below the reply subject, next to the date and time stamp.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: June 13, 2011, 06:02:44 pm »

So share your worst, and make sure to explain WHY you do not think it is a good source.
See this thread for more about Galina Krasskova and Exploring the Northern Tradition. Especially replies 8 and 26.

spearandhammer
Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:55:30 am

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 18, 2011, 08:32:02 pm »

Stephen McNallen unfortunately makes this part of the list. While he is directly responsible for much of the Asatru resurgence in the US, much of his later work has been a little out there as well. So, again, his earlier writings are good (if heavily influenced by Wicca), but his later stuff gets a mite strange. My main problem with him is he toes the line between being somewhat hard core Folkish, and outright racist. Sometimes he inches across that line only to realize what he has done and quickly retreat when people call him on it. Again, read everything with a large grain of salt ready.

Any racial agenda aside, my main problem is that he seems to have some weird fetish for space exploration which he links to his faith.  The AFA had a podcast a while ago where he likened spaceships to new cathedrals (?).   Then I have heard of the infamous asteroid mining sermon.   I've been leery of joining the AFA if this is an official mantra ....

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)