The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 25, 2021, 03:15:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2021, 03:15:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Symbolism of stags in divination?  (Read 2805 times)
Psimon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:10:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF (very new dedicant)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 07, 2010, 11:17:36 pm »

This seems like a terribly silly question, but what have you found stags to mean as omens etc in divination? Research and UPG are both along the lines of what I'm looking for, although I've done a bit of research myself and have a general grasp on what stags meant and did in IE cultures (though in a much broader sense than just in the context of divining).

I ask -- and this is the silly part -- because I occasionally read tea-leaves for fun and don't generally get much out of it except amusing blobs, but recently read a cup that had three distinct stags of diminishing size running along the edge between the six o'clock and three o'clock positions, as it were. Yeah, they're probably blobs of tea leaves that looked a lot like deer, but I never get anything that seems clear to me from tasseomancy, so I thought I'd ask.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

blueheron
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 09, 2010, 09:05:34 pm

Religion: wantism, nondualism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 11, 2010, 06:58:46 pm »

Aye, the deer are sacred beings, their presence is a good omen, they may be trying to point something out around them or just be randomly there.. they are symbolic of grace, deer are one of my spirit animals
beautiful free, fun, sometimes timid, but actually can be very sociable
often times they'll look at you and then look off in another direction, then look back
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 11, 2010, 08:21:08 pm »

This seems like a terribly silly question, but what have you found stags to mean as omens etc in divination? 

From what I remember reading (I couldn't tell you where) stags often appear at the beginning of a change or a journey-literal or figurative. They are supposed to point you in the right direction or let you know that you're on the right path.

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Psimon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:10:11 pm

Religion: ADF (very new dedicant)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 14, 2010, 11:51:44 pm »

From what I remember reading (I couldn't tell you where) stags often appear at the beginning of a change or a journey-literal or figurative. They are supposed to point you in the right direction or let you know that you're on the right path.

Ha, regardless of its unsourced nature I really like that. I'd taken an oath earlier in the day in question -- as an indication of being on the right path they'd make a lot of sense.
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 17, 2010, 04:15:03 am »

Ha, regardless of its unsourced nature I really like that. I'd taken an oath earlier in the day in question -- as an indication of being on the right path they'd make a lot of sense.

Happy to be of service  Wink I also (sort of) remember tham being a symbol of diety. Are you looking for something from your god(s)? They may be answering you.

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)