The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2021, 12:31:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2021, 12:31:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I'm taking Classical Mythology next semester!  (Read 6241 times)
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 08, 2010, 01:04:11 pm »

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Community folder, but settled here. Just like the title says, I'm taking Classical Mythology as my last gen. ed. course in the fall.  Grin I'm psyched. In addition to being something I'm interested in personally, it's going to be *perfect* to have had this course as it's something I'll undoubtedly teach in the English classroom. If only I could have fit the Bible as Literature course in my schedule, as that would also be perfect.

The class is definitely a Greek and Roman focus, but I'm hoping maybe there's some project or something where we get to choose a different culture to study. Because that would be awesome if I was forced to make time to read Norse mythology. Tongue

Has anyone else taken a mythology course? How did you like it? Did it enhance or detract from your religious practices or beliefs?

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 08, 2010, 02:14:44 pm »

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Community folder, but settled here. Just like the title says, I'm taking Classical Mythology as my last gen. ed. course in the fall.  Grin I'm psyched. In addition to being something I'm interested in personally, it's going to be *perfect* to have had this course as it's something I'll undoubtedly teach in the English classroom. If only I could have fit the Bible as Literature course in my schedule, as that would also be perfect.

The class is definitely a Greek and Roman focus, but I'm hoping maybe there's some project or something where we get to choose a different culture to study. Because that would be awesome if I was forced to make time to read Norse mythology. Tongue

Has anyone else taken a mythology course? How did you like it? Did it enhance or detract from your religious practices or beliefs?

I am so jealous!!

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 08, 2010, 03:14:56 pm »

I took one a few years ago mainly because I wanted an easy A.  I don't think it made much of an impact on my religious practices/beliefs because they are about the same now as they were before that.  The only differance is that I'm leaning more toward Eclecticism these days.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 09, 2010, 07:26:35 am »

Has anyone else taken a mythology course? How did you like it?
I did. It wasn't about the content of myths themself, but about the history of their perception and interpretation from Cicero to modern psychology and anthropology. I found the subject interesting, but was very disappointed about the way the prof run the class.

Did it enhance or detract from your religious practices or beliefs?
I wasn't Pagan at that time, I was just studying ancient history out of fascination for the ancient greek and roman culture. But I got more and more interested in the content of myths themselves while studying history. A pity I didn't find time to read much about them. I started that after graduating, but I still don't know much about a lot of myths.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 09, 2010, 05:12:58 pm »

My Classical Mythology class had greek, roman (read the Oddessy and Classical Myth), some norse (small book of myths), some old English (Beowulf FTW) and.... On The Waterfront. The teacher had a thing for hero journeys.....

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 09, 2010, 10:48:50 pm »

Best of luck! Sometime down the line, I plan on taking a mythology class too, with whatever free electives I have left. With that said, my school only requires 33 credit hours for the major, 120 credit hours for the degree: only 60 of which being gen eds, and there is no minor requirement. I have about 9 credit hours worth of required classes to go, and 27 total hours left. Besides being the only math I'm good at, it's an example of the probability I will take this class (not factoring in laziness on my part when signing up for classes).    Cheesy

I'll first take a poetry class for credit / because I'm a poet and I know it / but wanna learn to show it / so I will go fo it.    Wink

I was a bit lucky last year. The Woman's Literature prof I had assigned the Tain (an old tale featuring the Celtic hero CulCulhullan (typo, I'm sure)), Beowulf, and some other fun stuff. I still don't know what the class had to do with woman's literature, but I'm sure it made sense to the prof somehow.    Roll Eyes

The old tales are great to read, and great for class discussions. It's all in the context though, so make sure you have a well planned out teaching style before attempting it. Teaching is like advertising and propaganda, half the battle is in the presentation.   Wink

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 10, 2010, 10:01:29 am »

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Community folder, but settled here. Just like the title says, I'm taking Classical Mythology as my last gen. ed. course in the fall. 

I am currently taking CM and I've enjoyed it so far.  The down side is that I have grown up with most of the tales or have read about them in my lit classes, so nothing is really new to me, but the class did teach me more about the Greek religion and other cultural aspects.

Good luck with the class!

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 11, 2010, 10:52:18 am »

I did, but it wasn't very good. I got an A on the first test without studying, but I found the test and final exam to be unfair. On one of the tests, there was an essay question that went something like,  "Did Oedipus deserve his fate?", and instead of answering the question I wrote that it was a stupid and irrelevant question, as his fate was ordained before he was even born and didn't have much choice in the matter. It wasn't a good idea, in hindsight Tongue

My course wasn't taught by an actual professor, but by an advanced PhD student and another PhD student was the TA. It was clear they didn't have a deep familiarity with ancient Greek culture as a whole and were approaching the myths from a 21st century literary perspective rather than understanding them in ancient Greek context.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 11, 2010, 01:39:26 pm »

Thanks for the replies; I've enjoyed hearing from everyone!

It was clear they didn't have a deep familiarity with ancient Greek culture as a whole and were approaching the myths from a 21st century literary perspective rather than understanding them in ancient Greek context.
Yeah, I'm wondering how much of that will be in this course... It's in the humanities department, and does look at the mythology's impact on the arts and culture, but I'm thinking/hoping we'll at least start out actually learning the myths and culture.

I know a smattering of classical mythology from high school and literature courses, but it will definitely be nice to look at them in depth all at once.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: April 11, 2010, 02:15:02 pm »

Thanks for the replies; I've enjoyed hearing from everyone!
Yeah, I'm wondering how much of that will be in this course... It's in the humanities department, and does look at the mythology's impact on the arts and culture, but I'm thinking/hoping we'll at least start out actually learning the myths and culture.

From my understanding, unless the school has a Classics department, Greek Mythology is usually lumped in with Humanities.  But this isn't neccesarily a bad thing. The Lumped-in-with-Humanities Mythology course I took did try to stay within cultural context (although the professor seemed to go off on tangets relating to certain discredited anthropologists and writers).

I know a smattering of classical mythology from high school and literature courses, but it will definitely be nice to look at them in depth all at once.

If your class is anything like mine, it will start out with the most famous creation story (the one involving parental incest, castration and cannibalism) and the more important gods.  After that it's the major heros and after that the Trojan War (and aftermath).  Although since you mentioned a section of non-Classical, I'm not sure how this would apply to you Cheesy

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 12, 2010, 01:47:53 pm »

My jealousy meter just went in the red!  I took a course in Greek Mythology a few years back, but like Arion my professor did not want to look at it from anything besides a modern perspective.  If I had anymore Gen eds to burn I would take the Northern European Mythology course.  Yeah they are broken up and that makes it real nice.

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: April 23, 2010, 07:03:28 pm »

I took a CM course many years ago as an undergrad, from the great classicist Jennifer Larson.  We learned the stories, and because of her research interests, we learned a great deal about how these myths fit into ancient Greek religious contexts.  We used the Morford and Lenardon text, and it's fantastic.  I found it an easy A, because so much of the course was devoted to learning the stories, which I already knew, but it was extremely enlightening, and one of the best classes I've ever had.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.