The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 04:47:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 04:47:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: When I get old....  (Read 5830 times)
AmberHeart
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 07:38:17 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Dianic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 09, 2010, 07:00:18 am »

...apart from wearing purple...if the day arrives when I can't manage on my own....what happens to me as a practising Pagan?

Options will vary depending on where one lives but most retirement communities or complexes that I know of are either Christian-oriented, occasionally Jewish or the kind of secular places that one hopes not to end up in.

Throw in factors like no children, no SO, rarely involved extended family and caring though also aging friends and the possibility of dementia which runs in my family. On the other hand, my passing ceremony I've already organized according to my Tradition so not a concern.

So what happens to an aging Pagan Witch who will want to celebrate the Sabbats and Esbats? (Mind you, if I do go gaga, I probably won't remember either Tongue)

Anyone else considered this issue....or perhaps you are all too young to do so as yet?

Amber

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 09, 2010, 08:05:07 am »

Options will vary depending on where one lives but most retirement communities or complexes that I know of are either Christian-oriented, occasionally Jewish or the kind of secular places that one hopes not to end up in.

Most of the ones in my area are secular and barely okay from what I've seen.  My mother, however, lives in a nice one in Kentucky.  For the overall question, I must say that I've never given it much thought, although at 52, I probably should.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 09, 2010, 08:09:29 am »

...apart from wearing purple...

Anyone else considered this issue....or perhaps you are all too young to do so as yet?

Considering it's my 47th birthday today, yeah, I've started to think about these things. My paganism is fairly private and solitary in practice, so I'm not so much concerned about that. But considering the generation of gay men ahead of me was the first to begin living an out gay life, and considering that that generation was largely decimated by AIDS, I wonder how my peers and I will pioneer being old, out, and gay.

I think some of the concerns overlap (esp. since, as you mentioned is your case, so many gay men don't have kids to take care of them in their old age). Whether gay or pagan, the concern is that being markedly different from the widely accepted norm may adversely affect your quality of life, what your options are, and how you're treated when you're at the mercy of others.

What might help would be to seek retirement/assisted living in a college town. Not only do they tend to be little pockets of more open-mindedness, but they tend to foster a fair number of cultural options, and perhaps some continuing education opportunities. Think of all the newly minted college-age pagans we could de-fluff with our wisdom of the elders! And maybe some altruistic college student will visit us as his/her geriatric volunteer project.

BTW, what's "wearing purple" about? I don't get it.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: April 09, 2010, 08:15:01 am »

It's a reference to this poem:
http://labyrinth_3.tripod.com/page59.html

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 09, 2010, 08:28:56 am »

Thanks, Star. I like that very much.

I've never seen it before; is it widely known, esp. among us pagans or something?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 09, 2010, 08:31:08 am »

Thanks, Star. I like that very much.

I've never seen it before; is it widely known, esp. among us pagans or something?

It's fairly widely known, though I wouldn't say among pagans.

Possibly among women, though. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: April 09, 2010, 08:35:18 am »

It's fairly widely known, though I wouldn't say among pagans.

Possibly among women, though. Smiley

::nods::  It's definitely not a pagan thing; it's more of a...  general women's culture thing, if there is such a thing?  It's even spawned a whole society of women who dress in purple, with red hats, to get together for...  I dunno, tea or outings or something.  Not something that personally appeals to me (though maybe I'll change my mind in a few years when I get closer to the appropriate age, but I doubt it), but it's fairly well-known.

(I'll stop sidetracking now, though, sorry!)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 09, 2010, 01:56:16 pm »

Amber

I've thought about it, but more along the lines of power of attorney. A great-uncle of mine is stuck in a home with no contact with his family, because he married a young woman who took all his money, because his power of attorney, and now doesn't allow anyone to see him and said he's "crazy". My grandmother (who is his sister) is fighting in court for the right to see him. My parents also recently did their wills and power of attorney (which is a mutual friend of theirs, not each other), so thats why it's also on my mind.

I figure by the time I get old enough to require to be in a home, we'll be a lot more open about things like sexuality and religion, seeing as I'm a part of a general that is growing increasingly upset with intolerance towards both. Doesn't help you now, though. :\ Sorry.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 09, 2010, 03:36:42 pm »

Amber

I'm not sure really, how i'll be pagan when the time comes.  but since i work in a nursing home, (secular, but really, the only religion in there is Christian) we all joke about how we're going to be.  My comment is when I'm in the nursing home with Alzheimer's I'm going to play with the carts.  They'll have to obey to rules and keep the carts locked when I'm awake.  No, Katrina, you can't do treatments today, here, have this clipboard and pen and go do the quality control checklist before breakfast.  Do it from the doors, don't go in the rooms.  katrina come back here with the med cart.  the Blood pressure cuff is missing has anyone seen katrina?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: April 09, 2010, 10:06:36 pm »

My comment is when I'm in the nursing home with Alzheimer's I'm going to play with the carts.  They'll have to obey to rules and keep the carts locked when I'm awake.  No, Katrina, you can't do treatments today, here, have this clipboard and pen and go do the quality control checklist before breakfast.  Do it from the doors, don't go in the rooms.  katrina come back here with the med cart.  the Blood pressure cuff is missing has anyone seen katrina?
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 09, 2010, 11:50:01 pm »

Screw religion.  How will they deal with my music collection, visceral sense of humor, and my unwillingness to put up with people's moronic crap.  I suspect my beliefs will seem like small potatoes compared to the rest.

Of course, if I end up in a nursing home I'd have to be a vegetable.  Not gonna happen as long as I have will and breath in my body.

Brina
Prickle
Journeyman
Last Login:June 29, 2012, 03:32:14 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 10, 2010, 12:00:13 am »

It' not pagan but there's a pretty big group called The Red Hat Society, that bases it's dress code from the poem.

http://www.redhatsociety.com/aboutus/howitstarted.html

AmberHeart
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 10, 2010, 03:30:22 pm »

Considering it's my 47th birthday today, yeah, I've started to think about these things. My paganism is fairly private and solitary in practice, so I'm not so much concerned about that. But considering the generation of gay men ahead of me was the first to begin living an out gay life, and considering that that generation was largely decimated by AIDS, I wonder how my peers and I will pioneer being old, out, and gay.

I think some of the concerns overlap (esp. since, as you mentioned is your case, so many gay men don't have kids to take care of them in their old age). Whether gay or pagan, the concern is that being markedly different from the widely accepted norm may adversely affect your quality of life, what your options are, and how you're treated when you're at the mercy of others.

What might help would be to seek retirement/assisted living in a college town. Not only do they tend to be little pockets of more open-mindedness, but they tend to foster a fair number of cultural options, and perhaps some continuing education opportunities. Think of all the newly minted college-age pagans we could de-fluff with our wisdom of the elders! And maybe some altruistic college student will visit us as his/her geriatric volunteer project.

Altair,

http://labyrinth_3.tripod.com/page59.html  Warning  - When I get old, I will wear purple… my late mother had this taped to her fridge for years….when I think getting old…I think of this poem.   Tongue

Amber
Interesting idea about college towns...although if one has lived in a larger community for decades, moving somewhere where one doesn't know anyone could have its own issues.
AmberHeart
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 10, 2010, 03:31:07 pm »

Whoops...didn't see that when I posted..thanks Star.
AmberHeart
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 10, 2010, 03:32:10 pm »

::nods::  It's definitely not a pagan thing; it's more of a...  general women's culture thing, if there is such a thing?  It's even spawned a whole society of women who dress in purple, with red hats, to get together for...  I dunno, tea or outings or something.  Not something that personally appeals to me (though maybe I'll change my mind in a few years when I get closer to the appropriate age, but I doubt it), but it's fairly well-known.

(I'll stop sidetracking now, though, sorry!)

Yes definitely not pagan although it was fairly widely known in the Women's Spirituality Movement....lots of Pagans there. But really just a women's thing.

Amber

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.