The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2020, 03:09:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 03:09:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding Myrddin  (Read 13478 times)
elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 29, 2007, 08:41:09 pm »

Gwyddoniad.org? I need to overhaul that site. Poor thing. LOL

Yes, update it - maybe then I can glean more from it! *poke, prod* Grin

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 29, 2007, 08:43:22 pm »

Yes, update it - maybe then I can glean more from it! *poke, prod* Grin

Mari needs more time in a day! ROFL
elaoin
Journeyman

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 29, 2007, 09:12:44 pm »

Well, as I thought, my library only had the first of those three books... So bleh to them. Undecided I've done a search on Myrddin and nothing comes up, so I'm blocked there. I also did a search for every version of 'Celtic myth' I could think of with no results. So, I guess I'm stuck on the library for a while. I'll just settle down with my one book and finish it before I worry about it too much.

Thanks for the help, I'm off to ponder where else I can find reliable resources...
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 29, 2007, 10:34:51 pm »

I've begun research into Myrddin, and all I've really managed to find via my Googling is related to the myth of the man Myrddin, Merlin the sorcerer, and the naming conventions that say Myrddin is/was/was made up from a place's name, rather than being a real man.

What I'm looking for is the *god* Myrddin, and I know from past experience that unless I have a specific book I'm looking for, my library will be of no help (and even when I have a title, it's unlikely I can get it). And what little I *have* found online is a general listing of his 'associations', like forests, crystals, and all that. Which is fine and good, but I need more than a list of words! Undecided

So I'm at a loss - it seems Myrddin is rather an unknown god, or at least one who's not usually talked about. I have no idea where else I can find information on the actual god. Does anyone have a clue where I can start looking again?

Added: For reference, Myrddin is a Celtic god IIRC. I just realized I didn't say that! Embarrassed

Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is Nicholai Tolstoy's The Quest for Merlin, which explores Merlin the man and myth, and equates Merlin of Arthurian legend with Myrddin.  An interesting and good read; you might give it a try.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 29, 2007, 10:38:57 pm »

I agree, it's a good resource. In our tradition, though, the two aren't related. They're similar. But not related - not that I've been able to find any definitive ties.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: May 30, 2007, 01:46:24 am »

Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is Nicholai Tolstoy's The Quest for Merlin, which explores Merlin the man and myth, and equates Merlin of Arthurian legend with Myrddin.  An interesting and good read; you might give it a try.
It's pretty much of the "monomyth" school of thought (though with a much narrower focus than most such, which makes its postulates more feasible), but if one ignores that part, and thinks of it as a compendium of bits of myth and lore that might or might not be connected, it's quite useful.  It's also an enjoyable reading experience (oddly, N. Tolstoi wrote some Arthurian fiction at about the same time, and IMO it's a much more dull, dry, and confusing read  Huh).

"Monomyth salt":  a useful item in any Pagan's toolbox, as there are quite a few books that are good resources if and only if taken with a grain of it.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: May 30, 2007, 07:35:13 am »

I agree, it's a good resource. In our tradition, though, the two aren't related. They're similar. But not related - not that I've been able to find any definitive ties.

psst: please use the quote function!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
elaoin
Journeyman

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 30, 2007, 01:14:48 pm »

(I think that's ok, I've seen others do it around the forum, and this isn't really a reply to Shadow...)

The one thing that's worrying me while I research Myrddin is that I'll loose sight of the actual god I'm interacting with. I did that about a year ago when I became convinced that Freyr was who was tapping me on the shoulder, and the connection all but dropped. Has anyone else ever had this happen, or something similar? Or maybe someone has suggestions on how to not get lost in research? I'm starting with conversations and rereading what I've written up on what I *know* about my god (who is happily being called Shad right now, lol), but even Shad's patience has a limit. I'd really rather not test that limit. Lips sealed

Thanks everyone for the resources, I think I'll be quite busy for a while now! Wink
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: May 30, 2007, 01:17:34 pm »

Maybe pop this up on the Bard's folder at the Gwyddon board?
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #24: May 30, 2007, 01:31:17 pm »

(I think that's ok, I've seen others do it around the forum, and this isn't really a reply to Shadow...)

It's fine.  Smiley  A very general reply to the whole thread like this, though, is one of the few places where it would be OK not to quote at all.  (Though you'd probably want to include something to indicate that it's to everyone just to be sure we all get that it is.  Cheesy )

The way you did it is fine, too, just trying to clarify the rule for you and anyone else who might be wondering.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: May 30, 2007, 02:39:47 pm »

It's pretty much of the "monomyth" school of thought (though with a much narrower focus than most such, which makes its postulates more feasible), but if one ignores that part, and thinks of it as a compendium of bits of myth and lore that might or might not be connected, it's quite useful.  It's also an enjoyable reading experience (oddly, N. Tolstoi wrote some Arthurian fiction at about the same time, and IMO it's a much more dull, dry, and confusing read  Huh).

"Monomyth salt":  a useful item in any Pagan's toolbox, as there are quite a few books that are good resources if and only if taken with a grain of it.

Sunflower

I hadn't read any of his fiction, but I did find this very enjoyable.  And it's true about the "monomyth salt" box that pagans should probably carry around--but despite everything I've heard against Campbell, he still has a place in my heart because he's the one who really introduced me to everything mythic.  He was my starting point and I still enjoy reading his works.  And the monomyth argument has its uses I think, particularly for psychology, and also, like in the above source, it makes a nice and neat pattern for the reader to wrap his head around. 

Despite these uses though, I still think that stories and myths are far too complicated and wonderful to be pigeon-holed into one single story.  Wink

elaoin
Journeyman

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #26: May 30, 2007, 04:05:49 pm »

It's fine.  Smiley  A very general reply to the whole thread like this, though, is one of the few places where it would be OK not to quote at all.  (Though you'd probably want to include something to indicate that it's to everyone just to be sure we all get that it is.  Cheesy )

The way you did it is fine, too, just trying to clarify the rule for you and anyone else who might be wondering.  Wink

Ok, thanks Star! Smiley
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: May 31, 2007, 02:39:54 pm »

And it's true about the "monomyth salt" box that pagans should probably carry around--but despite everything I've heard against Campbell, he still has a place in my heart because he's the one who really introduced me to everything mythic.  He was my starting point and I still enjoy reading his works.  And the monomyth argument has its uses I think, particularly for psychology, and also, like in the above source, it makes a nice and neat pattern for the reader to wrap his head around. 
Exactly - hence the salt, instead of just steering clear of the monomythologists.

(Hey, I have a theory:  Campbell, Frazer, et al, aren't individuals; they're just manifestations of The Monomythologist With a Thousand Faces!  Grin )

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: May 31, 2007, 04:16:55 pm »

Exactly - hence the salt, instead of just steering clear of the monomythologists.

(Hey, I have a theory:  Campbell, Frazer, et al, aren't individuals; they're just manifestations of The Monomythologist With a Thousand Faces!  Grin )

Sunflower

ROFLMAO...oh that is good!

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: May 31, 2007, 05:28:21 pm »

LOL!  Too funny!  Cheesy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)