The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2020, 07:56:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 07:56:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: clensing/making used tools your own  (Read 2633 times)
yukihime
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 03:38:02 pm
United States United States

Religion: unitarian universalism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 14, 2010, 02:00:40 pm »

Hi last month I bought a big lot of ritual items on Ebay.  If you can think of it, it was probably in the lot, heck I don't even know what half the stuff is.  I would like to know how to make the tools my own.  I am new to this sort of thing, and I was glad that I was able to get so many tools at once, but its a little overwhelming, I mean do I have to cleanse each and every item?  Any advice or help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 14, 2010, 05:36:41 pm »

Hi last month I bought a big lot of ritual items on Ebay.  If you can think of it, it was probably in the lot, heck I don't even know what half the stuff is.  I would like to know how to make the tools my own.  I am new to this sort of thing, and I was glad that I was able to get so many tools at once, but its a little overwhelming, I mean do I have to cleanse each and every item?  Any advice or help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
I would say that, in a nutshell, it's going to depend. I wouldn't bother cleansing items that I don't plan on using. So perhaps, you should first go through the items, and see which ones you actually want to use. From there, you could do a sort of "en mass" cleansing- where all of the items are cleansed at once- or you could do a specific ritual for each (or a blend of both, really).

I'm not one for complicating things, so I'd either lay items in the sunlight or moonlight and let them cleanse that way, or use something like sage or incense to cleanse them. Really, it's a matter of preference and feel as to how you want to go about cleansing something.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 14, 2010, 07:45:40 pm »

I'm a big fan of doing cleansings by physically cleaning the object, with loving care and attention to that object's individual characteristics - a lot of common "how to cleanse" procedures don't sit well with me as an animist, becuase they disregard the object's innate spirit, and assume that anything more than blank-slate emptiness must be undesirable.  Also, similarly but from a more practical perspective, many cleansing methods involve things that don't interact well with all materials (sunlight, salt, water, and burying in earth can all be damaging to some materials).

Chances are, you'll want to do physical cleaning on many of them in any case, just because there's no way to be certain that they were cleaned to your standards before selling.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 15, 2010, 07:13:58 pm »

I'm a big fan of doing cleansings by physically cleaning the object, with loving care and attention to that object's individual characteristics - a lot of common "how to cleanse" procedures don't sit well with me as an animist, becuase they disregard the object's innate spirit, and assume that anything more than blank-slate emptiness must be undesirable. 

I've got basically the same approach to cleansing, and I also like to spend a fair amount of time getting to know the object before using it for anything big and flashy.

Betty
yukihime
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 03:38:02 pm

Religion: unitarian universalism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 16, 2010, 11:56:21 am »

thanks for all the advice from everybody.  I think I have made my decision now.  I have decided to keep all the herbs, incense, and gemstones.  The tool however I don't really think "fit" me so I'll keep my eye out for stuff that does.  I think my problem was that I wanted to rush it and get everything at once.  By the way, do you need to purify herbs, incense and gemstones?  I wouldn't think you would need to with the herbs and incense, but I'm not sure about the gemstones.  Thanks for the good advice and please keep it coming.
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 18, 2010, 07:36:39 pm »

I usually rinse stones in running water and let them rest for at least a few weeks if they've been previously owned.  I try to introduce myself gently to the stone, treat it with a great deal of care, and encourage it to be itself.  Usually this is enough to help it shake off any unwanted conditioning it has from its previous owner.

Stones can be a bit tricky: in addition to having the properties of the stone individual pieces can have a lot of personality.  Sometimes if they've been worked too hard or been around someone unpleasant they just don't want to do anything for a long while.  Other times you can give them a quick rinse and they're fine.  It's hard to know what they need until you're actually holding them. 

In my experience stones set in jewellery and worn regularly pick up a lot more "stuff" from their owners than unset stones, so that's something to think about as well. 

Betty
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 18, 2010, 08:43:33 pm »

thanks for all the advice from everybody.  I think I have made my decision now.  I have decided to keep all the herbs, incense, and gemstones.  The tool however I don't really think "fit" me so I'll keep my eye out for stuff that does.  I think my problem was that I wanted to rush it and get everything at once.  By the way, do you need to purify herbs, incense and gemstones?  I wouldn't think you would need to with the herbs and incense, but I'm not sure about the gemstones.  Thanks for the good advice and please keep it coming.

Careful of the gemstones- some of them fade in sunlight, others dissolve in water (opals can crack in water, f'ex). If they came labeled, look up the properties (physical not magical, in this case) and see what NOT to do. It can save your butt before you accidentally ruin a perfectly nice bit of rock.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
thetwitchyone
Apprentice
Last Login:June 22, 2010, 02:43:31 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Nonpracticing Bahaí and something of a pagan...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 05, 2010, 01:10:35 am »

By the way, do you need to purify herbs, incense and gemstones?  I wouldn't think you would need to with the herbs and incense, but I'm not sure about the gemstones.  Thanks for the good advice and please keep it coming.

I usually have anything I am thinking of using on my altar for at least one full lunar month before using it.  That way, it has ´soaked up´ my energy and replaced any traces from other sources, as well as letting the whole energy cycle run through (I somewhat tied to the lunar cycle, so most of my rituals and whatnot work with it, too).  I do this with incense, anything I plan on using to make charms, new tools, and anything else that I use. 

This is, however, not necessary.  Others would say that I waste a lot of time doing this.  I just do not rush anything, though, and I do not do much ritual work anyway, so it does not matter much.

That is my 2 cents, anyway.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 05, 2010, 03:28:21 am »

Seconding what others have said about individual cleansing methods.

Be careful with the stones.  People tend to think "hey, they're rocks, what could hurt a rock?"  But some rocks are very soft and break or scratch very easily.  Some dissolve in water.  Some, like opals, actually need to stay hydrated, or they dry out and are more prone to cracking.  Some fade in sunlight.  Etc.

In terms of energy, different kinds of stones need different things.  A few -- selenite, kyanite, and clear quartz come to mind -- almost never need cleansing.  In fact, those stones are often used to cleanse other stones -- you can put other stones in contact with them and they draw off the negative energy.  Some stones do better with a bath in running water or some time in sun or moonlight.

If you know what kinds of stones you have, we can be more specific.

And then, as Sunflower pointed out, there is the individual aspect to consider.  For example, while amethyst is generally considered an excellent stone for healing, certain amethyst specimens might not want to heal or might be too worn out at the moment.  Other specific amethyst specimens might be ready to heal right now.

Good luck!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 10, 2010, 11:56:54 pm »

With the stuff that I got on ebay, the sellers seemed to do a pretty job of keeping the energy "neutral".  After all, I don't know if any witch would want to just sell a tool of theirs that has their energy all over it.  To me it would just feel weird.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 11, 2010, 12:01:14 am »

With the stuff that I got on ebay, the sellers seemed to do a pretty job of keeping the energy "neutral".  After all, I don't know if any witch would want to just sell a tool of theirs that has their energy all over it.  To me it would just feel weird.

Just got an image of someone opening an Amazon box with a used set of runes and all this green ectoplasmic goop coming out. "Awww man, it's all over the floor! Who's gonna clean that up?"

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)