The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 06, 2020, 01:53:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 06, 2020, 01:53:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I know this'll sound strange, but...  (Read 3945 times)
Phoenix_Rae
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 04, 2011, 10:56:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 19, 2010, 07:52:20 pm »

my research project's central question is why are pagans prosecuted by orthodox religions. I wanted know what are the viewpoints of this by actual people who practice, and what their experiences have been. Also, I want to know how people practice, because different people do certain things differently from others of that same strain. What would you do if you chose to fight back to prosecutions, has anyone, and what misunderstandings/assumptions about one's religion been?

I think that this is more of a psychology question, myself. It is very simple for people to consider those not in their group as "other", and when you percieve someone else as "other", you treat them differently. This can develop into or be percieved as persecution. I think that overall, people are afraid of what they don't know or understand, and simultaneously want to feel supported in their own beliefs. That's why people tend to congregate with people that reinforce their beliefs (whether Christian, Jew, Pagan, republican, or whatever). It feels good to be accepted.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Spirit Bear
Apprentice
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 11:57:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan (with druidic roots, no pun intended)
TCN ID: Spiritbear

violence isn't nor ever has been the answer...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 19, 2010, 10:12:55 pm »

It's there in subtle ways. But I guess a better term may be discrimination. Persecution I think implies some action being taken against a person and I don't think there's a whole lot of that going on in the US, but there definitely is (and I'm speaking as someone who lives in a very rural area) ill will toward non-Christians and non-Jews. It's hard to really put my finger on, the south is infamous for it's passive aggressive nature after all, but it's something.
You got that right, there's a church on every corner downtown, and two small churches within 1 half mile of my house, and atheists are ridiculed for not beleiving, and my science teacher said mother nature doesn't exist *lit my fire* kids already hate me, if they knew I was wiccan id be screwed Sad

The road less traveled, has many signs, "spirit bear was here" is a good sign you aren't on that road...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)