The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 29, 2023, 10:46:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 29, 2023, 10:46:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Small Step - Plant Life  (Read 5093 times)
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 25, 2010, 10:14:55 am »

In the supermarkets here you can get bunches of roses or carnation etc from £1.50 upwards and they can last up to 2 weeks-I find carnations last the longest and you get some amazing colours.

That's about $3... your markets are definitely cheaper than mine. Another reason on my list to move to the UK.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Petrichor
Journeyman
Last Login:November 21, 2010, 12:14:10 am

Religion: Spiritual aka I'm figuring it out

If you're reading this then I am no longer lurking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 28, 2010, 02:00:02 am »

I used to live out in the hills but now I live in the middle of a city and have been keeping house plants for a few years. I can only keep plants on the walkway so I like to keep a couple of permanent perrennial plants that live all year round and to buy seeds for annuals that die at the end of the year every spring to spice things up. I love how they connect me to the changing of the seasons since I can't feel them in the city like where I used to live. Actually I feel that accidently killing your plants is a great way to connect with nature! We're so used to seeing everything lush and beautiful I find it expanded my view of nature to find all the ways I can accidently kill it.

You say that you have a cat? Well you could also get some cat nip, cat grass, or wheat grass to grow. It's pretty cheap and it's good for you cat! Actually you might not want to get the cat nip becuase it'll make your cat crazy all the time but cats can actually use a little bit of plants in their diet. You can find these plants ready grown or in seed form at large pet stores. Just make sure to grow it organic.

I also reccommend that you pick up a book or two on container gardening and something with a section of plant pests/ diseases for reference. And mint is incredibly hardy, but plant it in a pot by itself or it'll take over and you'll never be able to kill it/ get it out without dumping all the dirt. I think mine mutated with grass to make itself hardier...

Life is dangerous, no one gets out alive.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #17: April 28, 2010, 08:27:31 am »

Just a quick note, Petrichor...  Please don't forget to quote what you're replying to, even if it's just the first post in the thread.  (You can see our full quoting guidelines here.)  Thanks!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Tyto
Apprentice
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 11:23:19 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 29, 2010, 09:19:59 am »

Do you keep plants? Garden? How does tending to them connect to your faith? What about people who are, like me, in a big city? Did you choose them based on any particular spiritual criteria?

After many years of trying I finally have a semi-successful garden.  I absolutely view gardening in a spiritual way; when I weed my garden I do so with respect (and a little regret) for the lives that I am ending.  When I sow new seeds I feel joy at helping to start a new life.  Even just digging in the dirt helps to remind me that I am a part of the Earth.  The whole experience is almost meditative for me. 

I live in the suburbs, so I have a (small) outside patch of land to tend.  I've tried growing a number of plants inside, but my cats would always chew them to death *sigh*.  I guess my advice for you would be to try and keep all of your plants away from the cats.  They'll probably have the sense not to poison themselves (although no promises) but they will totally knock everything over.

I picked my plants in part due to hardiness, but largely due to aesthetics.  They're mostly edible plants, so I picked plants that my SO and I like to eat.  For the flowers, I picked ones that I think look nice.  To me no one plant is more or less spiritually significant than another, they all have the same life force.

Good luck with your plants.  If you don't already, you should maybe have a spray bottle of "no water" for the cats to help curb their herbicidal tendencies.
desertsong
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 12, 2010, 10:25:45 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

desertsong_

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 06, 2010, 11:39:40 am »

Do you keep plants? Garden? How does tending to them connect to your faith? What about people who are, like me, in a big city? Did you choose them based on any particular spiritual criteria? My criteria was, honestly, hardiness and attractiveness. As a new plant owner, I want something that will be hard to kill and easy to care for ... because it wouldn't be a very good exercise in connecting to nature and building a relationship with it if I fail to adequately care for my plant.

In the next few weeks, I'll be working on an alter. I think the plants are the first step. Now if only I can keep my cat out of them...

When I lived in the dorms in my first year of university, I had this little tropical tree in a pink pot that lived on my dresser... I often forgot to water it, and it probably hated the cold Canada weather, but it brightened the room immensely and now that it's dead I miss it a great deal. Sad

When I have a more permanent residence come September, I think I'm going to try and start a bit of container gardening - depending how my housemates are, if any of them have cats, where the windowsills are positioned and if we have a porch, all that good stuff... I want to try some herbs, and an aloe plant. Gardening has never really been a spiritual experience for me, just fun, but I'm going to put more of an effort into making it spiritual this time 'round. Maybe it'll incite me to take better care of my plants and not forget about them all the time... Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.