The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 02:38:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 02:38:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADMIN: TCN Closing Soon: Ning Decided to go PAY ONLY  (Read 5629 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: April 16, 2010, 08:51:08 am »

Ning Networks (whicxh powers TCN) has a new CEO who is apparently focused on MONEY only. They have decided to terminate free service. I'm not going to pay as much or more for TCN as it costs to run TC's servers every year as that would double the amount we need to raise in donation. Having our own social network was nice, but it is NOT worth paying for.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 16, 2010, 09:11:57 am »

Damn jackass corporate! The TCN was a great shadow to my facebook.

Ah well, at least Batman and I will always have the memories. In the end, that's what is most important.

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 16, 2010, 09:51:38 am »

Ning Networks (whicxh powers TCN) has a new CEO who is apparently focused on MONEY only. They have decided to terminate free service. I'm not going to pay as much or more for TCN as it costs to run TC's servers every year as that would double the amount we need to raise in donation. Having our own social network was nice, but it is NOT worth paying for.

I heard about this last night. I'm with you: it's just not worth the payment.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 16, 2010, 09:59:41 am »

On a serious note, I agree it's a good thing to refuse to pay for this stuff. If this kind of behavior persists, more sites will eventually follow in suit, and eventually we all may have to pay outrageous fees to be part of any chat forums. That will cut down on the amount of users, amount of posts, and definitely cut down on the quality of the conversations.

With that, will follow more regulations telling users they're "allowed to do more" when they pay, but because it'll be a service provided upon transaction, more power will be handed over to the providers, and the users will be allowed to do less.

All I can say is, the minute Facebook goes for profit, I'm deleting that thing.    Angry

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: April 16, 2010, 10:06:11 am »

All I can say is, the minute Facebook goes for profit, I'm deleting that thing.    Angry

Fortunately, despite the rumors that occasionally circulate on Facebook itself, there appear to be no plans to start charging (and you're best off avoiding the "we won't pay for Facebook!" groups/fan pages/causes):
http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/fbcharge.asp

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #5: April 16, 2010, 02:58:32 pm »

I heard about this last night. I'm with you: it's just not worth the payment.

Yup.
Agreed. And what alleyesonazarath said too.

If they want money, they can keep their ningthing.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 16, 2010, 03:02:10 pm »

Yup.
Agreed. And what alleyesonazarath said too.

If they want money, they can keep their ningthing.

so how were they making enough money to keep this thing going anyhow?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 16, 2010, 03:06:13 pm »

so how were they making enough money to keep this thing going anyhow?

It may be a case of not making enough money to please their investors. Venture Capitalists tend to be looking for large returns on investment.  A business can be doing plenty well enough to keep going but not make enough to keep investors happy.  Given they are laying off 40% of their staff while going pay only (which means their will be fewer people to provide the service paying customers will expect) tells me it is more about not being profitable enough rather than not making enough money to pay the bills.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: April 16, 2010, 03:13:10 pm »

It may be a case of not making enough money to please their investors. Venture Capitalists tend to be looking for large returns on investment.  A business can be doing plenty well enough to keep going but not make enough to keep investors happy.  Given they are laying off 40% of their staff while going pay only (which means their will be fewer people to provide the service paying customers will expect) tells me it is more about not being profitable enough rather than not making enough money to pay the bills.

Right.
That's the problem with all companies and everything as soon as someone not belonging to it expects profit.
And laying off staff is one of the fastest ways to raise profit. Only for short time and it's not a wise decision, but that does not keep anybody from doing it.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 16, 2010, 04:04:33 pm »

I don't find it that important to pay much extra money for it. Frankly I find it a nice addition, but don't use it very much. Anyone who wants to know more about what I'm doing is invited to come to my blog. And I enjoy many other Cauldronite's blogs on wordpress/LJ and the like. Smiley

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 16, 2010, 07:42:47 pm »

Nice.   Roll Eyes  NING definitely is not worth the cost... either monetarily or what they're doing to their staff.

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 24, 2010, 02:30:29 pm »

That's rather sad. I wonder what will happen to the other networks I belong to over there. I guess there's always Facebook for those of us who are out of the closet. Anyone ever try out Covenspace or any other pagan-centric social network? I've been a member of Trekspace for a while (hardly ever go over there, though) but that's hosted on Ning, too. Generally I just keep all that social stuff on Facebook or Twitter.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #12: April 24, 2010, 02:58:25 pm »

Anyone ever try out Covenspace or any other pagan-centric social network?

Covenspace has crashed and is no longer.
It was a rather good place for blogging, though, and I miss it.

It was kinda replaced by witchbook.net. Only 400 and some users at the moment and it's a bit slow.
But considering that one of the ex-CS users put it up in a hurry, it's really ok.

I heard not so nice things about paganspace, but I've never took a closer look there.

Guess it's like everywhere, all kinds of people and you gotta sort out with whom you're willing to communicate.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: April 24, 2010, 05:06:58 pm »

Nice.   Roll Eyes  NING definitely is not worth the cost... either monetarily or what they're doing to their staff.

WE are looking at alternatives. It looks like TCN will return elsewhere.

Randall
soccerfan31
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 16, 2010, 02:22:13 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gàidhlig Pàgànachd

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 06, 2010, 09:31:13 pm »

orks (whicxh powers TCN) has a new CEO who is apparently focused on MONEY only. They have decided to terminate free service. I'm not going to pay as much or more for TCN as it costs to run TC's servers every year as that would double the amount we need to raise in d

Are there other companies who provide a free service?

I wonder where else Pagans can connect with each other?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)