The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 01:30:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 01:30:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit  (Read 8732 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: April 17, 2010, 02:42:15 pm »

Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit

PHOENIX – Favoring the constitutional right to bear arms over others' concerns about gun safety, Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a bill making Arizona the third state allowing people to carry a concealed weapon without requiring a permit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100416/ap_on_re_us/us_xgr_concealed_weapons_arizona

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 17, 2010, 02:47:09 pm »

...making Arizona the third state allowing people to carry a concealed weapon without requiring a permit...

My response to the title was WTF??? My response to the fact it's the third state to do so was... perhaps it's time to reconsider moving back to the US.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 17, 2010, 02:52:27 pm »

My response to the title was WTF??? My response to the fact it's the third state to do so was... perhaps it's time to reconsider moving back to the US.

Might I suggest somewhere in Europe?  I've personally began (again) reconsidering living in the US recently.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Akyana
Apprentice
Last Login:June 01, 2013, 04:56:27 am
Czech Republic Czech Republic

Religion: buddhist, Aghori, mystical christianity

Be Blessed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 17, 2010, 02:57:40 pm »

PHOENIX – Favoring the constitutional right to bear arms over others' concerns about gun safety, Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a bill making Arizona the third state allowing people to carry a concealed weapon without requiring a permit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100416/ap_on_re_us/us_xgr_concealed_weapons_arizona

The world is TOO peaceful.

It needs more guns for sure. Roll Eyes

Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 17, 2010, 03:19:52 pm »

I can't get it quite straight in my head. You cannot have a nail clipper and they only just refrained from banning shoe strings on airplanes for matters of public safety because anything might be used as a weapon, but walking the streets with gun, without a permit, is no problem?  (And it's not as if guns have never been used to cause problems outside airplanes or something.)
Amazing.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 17, 2010, 05:26:24 pm »

It's really not that surprising, it is very easy to qualify for a permit is states that require them. Note that I think it is stupid not to require the permit as the classes generally teach weapon safety which is something a surprising number of gun owners seem not know less than they should.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 17, 2010, 06:16:53 pm »

It's really not that surprising, it is very easy to qualify for a permit is states that require them. Note that I think it is stupid not to require the permit as the classes generally teach weapon safety which is something a surprising number of gun owners seem not know less than they should.

I agree with the gun safety statement. Personally I think everyone who wants to purchase a gun should be able to show that they know how to handle them properly first. There are still states that allow open carry (not sure if Arizona is one, but the Deputy I've talked with told me Oregon is). This means that I can wear my .357 on my hip for everyone to see while walking down the street if I wanted to do so. I would probably be stopped by every cop in town, and asked why I was carrying. That wouldn't be worth the hassle, but is still within my rights. Smiley

There are people right now who carry concealed weapons without a permit. Granted they aren't law abiding citizens, but it's still going on. IMO, the impression that since people in Arizona don't need a permit anymore, that there will be a huge increase of people carrying weapons seems flawed. *shrug*

YMMV and all that.....

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 17, 2010, 09:17:03 pm »

I can't get it quite straight in my head. You cannot have a nail clipper and they only just refrained from banning shoe strings on airplanes for matters of public safety because anything might be used as a weapon, but walking the streets with gun, without a permit, is no problem?  (And it's not as if guns have never been used to cause problems outside airplanes or something.)
Amazing.

Exactly. I can never quite comprehend it either. There is also the fact that these kinds of actions have consequences for others, including those that live in other countries. F'ex Canada, where the majority of illegal guns comes from the U.S., not within our own country. This just makes it all the more easier for someone to get a hold of guns and ship them north to gangs that will pay for them.

I really don't get why this is a Good Idea, or why getting a permit is such a Bad Idea. If you don't know how to use a gun properly, you shouldn't own one in the first place.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 17, 2010, 09:35:03 pm »

There are still states that allow open carry (not sure if Arizona is one, but the Deputy I've talked with told me Oregon is). This means that I can wear my .357 on my hip for everyone to see while walking down the street if I wanted to do so.

Arizona is one of them.  In fact, there were people who carried their firearms to a presidential event here last year - just to show that they could.  Now, I'm all for exercising one's civil rights, but that just seems like a BAD plan.  All you need is one twitchy secret service agent and all hell breaks loose.

Now, imagine if those guns had been concealed.

In case anyone failed to notice the "south" in "southwest."
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 17, 2010, 10:25:55 pm »

You will also note that states that allow open carry or unencumbered concealed carry have the lowest crime rates.  Places that attempt to ban firearms (Chicago, Washington DC) usually have the highest rates of violent and firearms-related crime.  Primary reason?  Most criminals are predators.  Their job is to attack and get what they need.  What they don't need is injury or death, so if they have reason to believe a prospective victim might be armed, that person is routinely re-classified as ineligible for victimhood, and the bad guy looks elsewhere.   

It's the reason we have mass school shootings but not mass sporting goods stores shootings:  schools are supposed to be "gun free zones."  All that means is that they will be legally owned and carried gun free.   Criminals don't obey the rules; that's pretty much the definition.

It's the same logic re burglars and loud obnoxious barking dogs.  The dog may not actually be willing to bite, and maybe no one hearing the barking will dial 911... but does the bad guy want to bet the odds...?  He'll pick another house, and the "guard" dog has done his job.

Open carry is legal in AZ:
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9A4SU8G1&show_article=1

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: April 17, 2010, 10:45:04 pm »

You will also note that states that allow open carry or unencumbered concealed carry have the lowest crime rates.  Places that attempt to ban firearms (Chicago, Washington DC) usually have the highest rates of violent and firearms-related crime.  Primary reason?  Most criminals are predators.  Their job is to attack and get what they need.  What they don't need is injury or death, so if they have reason to believe a prospective victim might be armed, that person is routinely re-classified as ineligible for victimhood, and the bad guy looks elsewhere.   

My issue isn't so much with the concealed carry part, but with the "no permit" part.

I'm not a 2nd Amendment nut, so I rarely get buttons pushed on the issue, but having "no permit" strikes me as incredibly stupid. Then again, IIRC, some place in Arizona was going to allow gun into bars and that's taking stupid to a whole new level.

And, frankly, I've never bought into the whole "school shooting because it's a gun free zone." I've read that crap from Ted Nugent when he was "writing" a column for our local paper, and he's about as coherent on it as anyone else advocating guns everywhere, unrestricted, all the time. And I'll give you a hint here, Ted Nugent and the word "coherent" really shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

My personal take on it is that the vast majority of people clamoring for unrestricted gun rights are suffering from some pretty heavy delusions. There seems to be this idea that the person who is carrying a gun will go out and save a dozen people without breaking a sweat. That works well in Hollywood, but I just don't think these people are all John Wayne.

(Also, do you have a source to back up the part about the states and open carry? I ask because you state that but then go on to tie it to specific cities.)

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 18, 2010, 02:43:44 am »

In case anyone failed to notice the "south" in "southwest."

The other two states are Alaska and Vermont.  What I fail to notice is what the "south" comment has to do with anything.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 18, 2010, 08:38:00 am »

Now, imagine if those guns had been concealed.

Something like the outside scene in Miss COngeniality, except instead of being a pretty unarmed woman in a fancy costume, the person taking down the guy with the now discovered concealed weapon would be an armed secret service officer?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: April 18, 2010, 01:04:06 pm »

The other two states are Alaska and Vermont.  What I fail to notice is what the "south" comment has to do with anything.

The people of the South are often stereotyped as being big gun nuts.  As someone who lives in the South, I can verify this.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 18, 2010, 02:31:26 pm »

The people of the South are often stereotyped as being big gun nuts.  As someone who lives in the South, I can verify this.

You can confirm the  existence of the stereotype or you can confirm the truth of the stereotype?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)