The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 01:08:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 01:08:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit  (Read 8731 times)
GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 10, 2011, 03:32:54 am
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic Pessimist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: April 19, 2010, 07:31:16 am »

To be honest, I more interested in seeing the training than the permit, but without a permit requirement you are never going to know if people actually get the training.

Since I work in law enforcement, I'm wondering exactly what the police agencies are doing to update their policies on traffic stops.  I bet every officer in the entire state is a nervous wreck right now.  Every traffic stop potentially has a firearm involved, but now they've upped the chances.

Cease then and let me alone,
that I may take comfort a little before I go whence I shall not return,
even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;
a land of darkness, as darkness itself,
and of the shadow of death without any order,
and where the light is as darkness.

- Job

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: April 19, 2010, 07:58:52 am »

Handguns are easy to shoot:  just point and squeeze the trigger.  Human bodies are pretty big; you're bound to hit.

The first part is true. The last cause is wishful thinking.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: April 19, 2010, 09:13:46 am »

Since I work in law enforcement, I'm wondering exactly what the police agencies are doing to update their policies on traffic stops.  I bet every officer in the entire state is a nervous wreck right now.  Every traffic stop potentially has a firearm involved, but now they've upped the chances.

I could have sworn I read where there are police groups backing this new law. Which really makes me wonder how much of the story we're missing.

I know if I was a police officer in Arizona, I'd probably be looking for another line of work about now.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: April 19, 2010, 11:32:46 am »

To be honest, I more interested in seeing the training than the permit, but without a permit requirement you are never going to know if people actually get the training.

And in many states, the permit is really a criminal history/background check.  Though WA state at least requires a class for a hunting permit.

AntlerandHerb.com
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: April 19, 2010, 11:53:05 am »

And in many states, the permit is really a criminal history/background check.  Though WA state at least requires a class for a hunting permit.

This is what I want to know though, what the heck is wrong with a criminal history/ background check?  Right now, I have four every year.  One for my job, one for BSA, one for GSA, and one for SPiralscouts (ok, they aren't every single year, but the others are). I owuld prefer that people with a history of violence DON"T have permission to carry.

Now, if I understood the huffington post piece I found, if you are stopped by the police, they have the right to ask and to expect a fully truthful and peaceful answer to the question "Are you carrying a gun" and lying is at least a misdemeanor.  And then they can demand to hold your gun until the contact is finished, and refusal is again, at least a misdemeanor.    Off to find the piece, I will post a link as soon as I find it.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: April 19, 2010, 12:02:21 pm »

This is what I want to know though, what the heck is wrong with a criminal history/ background check?  Right now, I have four every year.  One for my job, one for BSA, one for GSA, and one for SPiralscouts (ok, they aren't every single year, but the others are). I owuld prefer that people with a history of violence DON"T have permission to carry.

Now, if I understood the huffington post piece I found, if you are stopped by the police, they have the right to ask and to expect a fully truthful and peaceful answer to the question "Are you carrying a gun" and lying is at least a misdemeanor.  And then they can demand to hold your gun until the contact is finished, and refusal is again, at least a misdemeanor.    Off to find the piece, I will post a link as soon as I find it.

I have no problems with background checks for permits - I was just pointing out that yes, many do NOT include classes. 

And yes, many of us have to go through background and criminal history checks for work - why not for guns?  I loved the one for boy scouts - how many different ways can you ask if someone is a pedophile? 

AntlerandHerb.com
mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: April 19, 2010, 01:28:52 pm »

I have no problems with background checks for permits - I was just pointing out that yes, many do NOT include classes. 

And yes, many of us have to go through background and criminal history checks for work - why not for guns?  I loved the one for boy scouts - how many different ways can you ask if someone is a pedophile? 

But something I've noticed is that alot of people do seem to think that a background check is an invasion of privacy bad enough that owning a very dangerous weapon does not really call for one.

Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: April 19, 2010, 01:42:58 pm »

But something I've noticed is that alot of people do seem to think that a background check is an invasion of privacy bad enough that owning a very dangerous weapon does not really call for one.

Which is BS since most of that stuff is available online - sometimes for a fee, but still.  The SO has a brother who is estranged from the rest of the family. but still in the general area.  When the SO's parents died he wanted to inform this brother.  We knew his name, his wife's name, and his date of birth (all things on employment forms and many other applications).  His phone is unlisted.  He has no facebook, myspace, whatever.  It took me about 10 minutes and $1.99 to get his home address and phone number - it would have been free if he was in the phone book.  I could have paid more and got more, but all we wanted was the address.

AntlerandHerb.com
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: April 19, 2010, 02:37:34 pm »

Which is BS since most of that stuff is available online - sometimes for a fee, but still.  The SO has a brother who is estranged from the rest of the family. but still in the general area.  When the SO's parents died he wanted to inform this brother.  We knew his name, his wife's name, and his date of birth (all things on employment forms and many other applications).  His phone is unlisted.  He has no facebook, myspace, whatever.  It took me about 10 minutes and $1.99 to get his home address and phone number - it would have been free if he was in the phone book.  I could have paid more and got more, but all we wanted was the address.

Yeah, but that's PRIVATE INDUSTRY having that information.  That's not the GOVERNMENT!

*eyeroll*

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: April 19, 2010, 03:18:48 pm »

Yeah, but that's PRIVATE INDUSTRY having that information.  That's not the GOVERNMENT!

*eyeroll*

Ummm - yeah.  If the government wants to know about you, they do.  Period.

AntlerandHerb.com
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: April 19, 2010, 04:56:56 pm »

I hadn't heard that one before.

The few people I was talking to thought the idea of a gun license would be akin to taking guns away. I had offered it as a way to avoid background checks for each gun purchase. Get the gun permit and you can buy as many guns of the right type as you want. Renew the permit every few years just like a driver's license.

Of course the people I was talking to believed everything Flush Limbaugh said without thinking about it.
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: April 19, 2010, 06:17:41 pm »

I hadn't heard that one before.

The few people I was talking to thought the idea of a gun license would be akin to taking guns away. I had offered it as a way to avoid background checks for each gun purchase. Get the gun permit and you can buy as many guns of the right type as you want. Renew the permit every few years just like a driver's license.

Of course the people I was talking to believed everything Flush Limbaugh said without thinking about it.

well, why else would there be such an objection to the background checks, other than the waiting period?   Most of the rabid gun freaks that I know, (and I include some family members in this idiocy) seem to think that a background check = taking their guns away.  If we don't give guns to released felons and mental patients with histories of violence, the next thing you know we'll have no guns at all allowed.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: April 19, 2010, 07:03:19 pm »

well, why else would there be such an objection to the background checks, other than the waiting period?   Most of the rabid gun freaks that I know, (and I include some family members in this idiocy) seem to think that a background check = taking their guns away.  If we don't give guns to released felons and mental patients with histories of violence, the next thing you know we'll have no guns at all allowed.

Police Chiefs who don't want citizens to have permits and thus never submit background checks. Had a friends sister who waited a year for the MA town police chief to submit her background check to the state police. Luckily she had another brother with connections to the state police and got the staties to send an approved background check to the local dept via certified mail. Police chief didn't have much choice but to issue.

That's the basis for "shall issue" laws.
Basically gun owners have been hasseled and delayed (in mostly northern states) at the whim of govt officials. Background checks associated with a gun purchase creates a database of who owns which guns.
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: April 19, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »

Police Chiefs who don't want citizens to have permits and thus never submit background checks. Had a friends sister who waited a year for the MA town police chief to submit her background check to the state police. Luckily she had another brother with connections to the state police and got the staties to send an approved background check to the local dept via certified mail. Police chief didn't have much choice but to issue.

That's the basis for "shall issue" laws.
Basically gun owners have been hasseled and delayed (in mostly northern states) at the whim of govt officials. Background checks associated with a gun purchase creates a database of who owns which guns.

See, I don't have a problem with Shall Issue, so long as felons and mental patients with violent histories are excluded.  And if you don't want the government to know that you own a gun, buy it at a gun show and show your permit.  At least the rest of us will have a good chance to be sure that you passed a basic background check and took a class (see, I would require the class too, at least for the first permit). You have to do that for a car, you should have to do it for a gun too.

Correcting people not sending in background checks is a different animal than not requiring them in the first place.  THe second is stupid, the first is repairable.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)