The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 13, 2019, 09:58:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2019, 09:58:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How do you incorporate a patron diety into your Wiccan spirituality?  (Read 2032 times)
Bill B
Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2010, 06:31:55 am
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

wmbittner thefourrealms

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 19, 2010, 09:34:14 pm »

I've been looking into Wicca for a few months. And this includes praying to the Goddess and God, as well as other deities.

Lately I had been getting a strong sense of THE or A Goddess. And as I've noticed my spirituality taking different themes within each of the past moon cycles, I know that in this cycle I would grow closer and get to know this Goddess.

Well, via some signs and some sense, I believe the Goddess to be Brigid. What I don't know is whether I keep praying to the Goddess and God, as well as to Brigid. Or does this mean that I know who the Goddess is to me, and should now pray to Brigid and the God. (And then, one day, learn who the God is to me.)

Most of me believes that the Goddess and God are still as they are. Nameless, ultimate, and most inclusive. And even while keeping them most primary in my heart, I still payed some devotion to specific deities such as Hanuman and Krishna. So maybe Brigid is just now the most foremost specific deity and spiritual mentor.

Of course, this is less of an issue if one isn't Wiccan, and something like a Witch or Druid instead.

I know there's not right answer to this. I'm just looking at other people's experience and insights.  

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 19, 2010, 10:35:11 pm »

I know there's not right answer to this. I'm just looking at other people's experience and insights.  

To me, there are levels of God.
Highest is the All (hard to truly understand or comprehend, at least for me)
Next is the Two (Primary duality that join to form the All- they dance in the seasons and while they listen to humanity, they... its not like they don't care, but their purview is wide, kinda? They hold the universe in between them and a single human is not the be-all and end all)
Next is the pantheons and their members (individual perceptions that are powerful and care more about the individual people. My patron Manannan falls into this category. They are more focused and relate better to humans than the Two can)

That's just my two bits. As for praying, I pray to the Two at the solstices and equinoxes, when the world turns, as well as the other four sabbats. After that comes specific prayers to Manannan and other pantheon deities. I "talk" to Him far more often than the Two, but I still see the Two in the world as it moves.

YMMV Smiley And I just noticed Manannan is like Bananna- you never know when it ends. Manannnannanaaananananannnnnnn......

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 21, 2010, 11:58:07 pm »

I don't.

Actual British Traditional Wicca has it's own Lord and it's own Lady, and They are not known to non-initiates.  They are worshipped by the rituals they taught us.

Other gods should be worshipped as they dictate.  Gods other than the Gods of the Wica should be worshipped in as close an approximation to their traditional rites as one can manage.  Divination should be used to find out what alterations or substitutions are acceptable; you don't want to anger or disgust the Gods, after all...

The only god with whom I have a relationship outside of my sworn service to the Gods of the Wica is Thor.  We talk; I libate entire bottles of beer for him and he sometimes graces me with the favor of holding a storm off me till I can reach shelter.  On the rare occasion of a thunderstorm, I watch and appreciate the artistry of the thunder and lightning across the sky.  He sympathizes with me when I need to vent or commit violence...  this relationship is more casual than my bond to the Lord and Lady; almost as if Thor is a personal mentor/elder kinsman, while the Lord and Lady are, well, the Lord and Lady!

JMHO,of course; YMMV

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Chatters
Apprentice
Last Login:April 28, 2011, 08:07:46 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Nature based - Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 23, 2010, 06:36:42 pm »

I've been looking into Wicca for a few months. And this includes praying to the Goddess and God, as well as other deities.

Lately I had been getting a strong sense of THE or A Goddess. And as I've noticed my spirituality taking different themes within each of the past moon cycles, I know that in this cycle I would grow closer and get to know this Goddess.

Well, via some signs and some sense, I believe the Goddess to be Brigid. What I don't know is whether I keep praying to the Goddess and God, as well as to Brigid. Or does this mean that I know who the Goddess is to me, and should now pray to Brigid and the God. (And then, one day, learn who the God is to me.)

Hi Bill

I have also felt very drawn to the goddess Brigid.  My experience in working with her has been a very happy one. However I am not a traditional wicca, my path to date has been much more solitary and natural.  I also work with a nameless god / goddess.

My beliefs follow a very similar path as to erinnightwalker

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 24, 2010, 04:34:03 pm »

When I first started out, I just worked with "The Lord and the Lady". I was a beginner straight out of books. I work with a coven now, but unlike Sine I'm not British Traditional Wicca. We're an eclectic tradition (as there are five or six active daughter covens of the original coven).

I'm a polytheist, so I'm not in the "all gods are one" camp. And I have no idea whether the Lord and Lady I worked with are the same (or anything like) the Lord and Lady that Sine works with as that info is oathbound. I'm inclined to believe that there are just lots of different Lords and Ladies out there.

At any rate... when I'm working ritual I often call Brigit and Herne or Cernunnos (I'm starting to believe that this is the same deity no matter which name I give Him... whether He's what others would call Herne or Cernunnos, I dunno). But other times I use a more generic invocation. When I did a children's ritual for Ostara, I called the Spring Maiden and the Lord of the Greenwood.

And in coven work, I've been in ritual with many different deities from many different cultures, depending on who was leading ritual and what that ritual was for. Being a polytheist, I think it's important to call deities who are at least compatible, if not from the same cultural pantheon.

You'll find lots of different perspectives on deities in Wicca, since we can't really know the true nature of the Gods. Different groups will do things differently. Different Traditions will do things differently. If you feel you only want to work with Brigit, then work with Brigit. There's no rule that says you have to call both a God and Goddess in rituals.

I hate to say it's all about what feels right for you, but in many instances it is. And at least for me, my perspective on the nature of deity changed over the years. I started out thinking like you do and have ended up a true polytheist. Perhaps that'll happen for you, or it maybe it won't... most of the people in my coven are much more pantheist than polytheist. They aren't wrong, just approaching things differently. We'll never know the true nature of the Gods until we cross over, anyway.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)