The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 19, 2020, 06:37:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2020, 06:37:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reclaiming/Feri/Third Road  (Read 5060 times)
AnneNevill
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2018, 09:56:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 20, 2010, 08:48:33 am »

I'm following up on suggestions from other posters who noticed that I commented on enjoying the styles both of Starhawk and of Francesca DeGrandis and recommended that I further explore Feri. I'm also looking more at Reclaiming.

I was wondering--what other posters here follow any of these three traditions? How did you study? What resources did you draw upon? Are you solitary, or do you have a group to work with? I notice that all three groups seem to be concentrated in California, and I'm in NYC ... Plus, it seems to me that--at least with Feri--a lot of teachers charge rather a lot to train students. That is without a doubt out of my budget, plus, it gives me an uncomfortable feeling.

At this point, I'm trying hard not to spend any money, so I'm working with what I can get out of libraries and what I already own. That means I have De Grandis' two Third Road workbooks and Starhawk's The Spiral Dance. I was able to obtain a library copy of the Twelve Wild Swans, which is gorgeous and thorough. I think I might actually make an exception and buy it. In terms of Feri, I only have what I can get online for free: The Dustbunnies Book, which I've begun to skim, and The White Wand. Do you have other recommendations for inexpensive references?

If you work alone, how do you adjust the Reclaiming materials?

BTW, thank you for all the advice I've received here so far. It has been much appreciated. Although I've been a bit quiet the last few weeks, I've been reading and things have been percolating.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 04, 2020, 12:20:53 am

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 20, 2010, 10:49:25 am »

I will note here that I am a student in hiatus, not an initiate, and thus can only speak from a particularly limited perspective.

I started out by buying all the books that I could find by the Andersons and their students, and reading through things; it was Etheric Anatomy that convinced me that I needed to study the tradition more thoroughly.

At that point, Thorn Coyle was being invited to my area to give a weekend workshop, so I signed up for that to see what I thought of the stuff in implementation.  Working with Thorn was a challenge for me, because she is Reclaiming as well as Feri, and I am ... ... not good with Reclaiming.  However, I had an important and powerful experience in the weekend workshop, and figured I could manage it, so I signed up for one of her two-year apprenticeships, which I believe she no longer teaches.

A note about charging for training:  As I understand it, no legitimate Feri teacher will charge for training in Feri itself; once a commitment is made to train a person to initiation, they are family, and one does not exchange money in family.  However, the open-court Feri material is not the same as Feri itself; there are a number of teachers who run workshop or coven-style classrooms in the open-court material as a means of instructing people in the basics that they will need to have to be trained in the tradition as a prerequisite for considering someone as a candidate for training to initiation.  This is a controversial practice; there exist teachers who disapprove of the whole thing, especially among the more conservative/traditionalist branches of the trad, but they do not typically put themselves forward as readily available teachers.  Most of the teachers who charge for open court material training are understanding about financial needs of their poorer students (at least the ones I've worked with are; Thorn's apprenticeship classes had scholarship and work-study students explicitly, and Karina has sliding scale), but since they are often needing their workshop income to pay their own bills, there's a limit to how much they can bend.

Anyway, back to me.  Thorn was an excellent introductory teacher for me, because working with her enabled me to deal with my issues sufficiently to determine where I needed to be going.  I dabbled in her advanced classes briefly, and it soon became clear we were an extremely poor match there, so we parted on good terms.

I fell in love with the work of another Feri teacher, in that "The desire of my heart is to learn from you" way, and eventually worked up the nerve to contact her.  Karina is more traditionalist than Thorn (who had, when she was teaching basic Feri, universalist leanings, I guess I could call it?, in her Western esoteric tradition), but also does introductory classroom-style work.  Very different style, better suited to me on an energetic and several personal levels (starting with the fact that we are both New Englanders and energy moves differently in the northeast than in California!).  I formally studied with her for six months before going on maternity leave.  Karina's classes have required reading, exercises, memorisation of poetry; this was an in-person training group, so we met every ... three months?  Six weeks?  One of them.

Most Feri as I understand it is taught one-on-one with maybe occasional other participants (Victor and Cora Anderson did some level of team-teaching, or one-teaching-while-the-other-watched, I believe).  It is not a coven tradition, though some lines and gatherings will organise into covens, and some lines do "the whole coven teaches the new person".

Thorn's Evolutionary Witchcraft is basically the class syllabus from her two-year apprenticeship program.  It does not contain the stuff she passed on orally, of course, but it is a pretty good workbook for Feri tools.

You can almost certainly find a Reclaiming group near you if you're interested in that sort of thing; Reclaiming is freaking everywhere. :}  I know they have a strong New England presence.

I don't think I hit everything you were asking but my brain is kind of fried at the moment, please feel free to follow up question at me.

AnneNevill
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2018, 09:56:16 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 20, 2010, 05:21:40 pm »

Darkhawk, thank you for that very detailed answer. I will think about what you have said, and may return with more questions.
Phoenix_Rae
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 04, 2011, 10:56:29 pm

Religion: Wiccan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 20, 2010, 06:42:29 pm »

I was wondering--what other posters here follow any of these three traditions? How did you study? What resources did you draw upon? Are you solitary, or do you have a group to work with?

My coven is primarily Alexandrian, but right now we are working through Thorn's Evolutionary Witchcraft together to learn and gain new perspective. What we've done is read her book and are now spending a month or two (or more) on each chapter. We have discussions about the materials and do some of the exercises together (we meet biweekly), but the rest we do solo. The core purpose of the work is personal development, so this seems pretty appropriate.
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 19, 2010, 12:13:21 am »

I was wondering--what other posters here follow any of these three traditions? How did you study? What resources did you draw upon?

I am a Feri student/practitioner and a Morningstar student as well - I'm not an initiate of either. (Morningstar is Thorn Coyle's current school - there's more information at thorncoyle.com . It's an offshoot of Feri and a lot of other stuff.) I'm not a Reclaimer, but I've taken Reclaiming classes in the past and hopefully will again - the Reclaiming-ish people in my area teach some things I'd really like to learn. I'm in Thorn's Morningstar distance training and I did her two-year Feri intensive. (Similar to what Darkhawk did, but a later session.) I'm also currently in Veedub's distance training. It's free, and she may be starting another session next year. (Veedub is Valerie Walker, the creator of the Dustbunnies Book.) Her approach is *very* self-directed, to a degree that I'm finding challenging. I'm not sure at this point how I'm going to engage with the class - but this is only the third month. I really like her stuff.

I would like to find a teacher to work with one-on-one at some point, possibly toward initiation. This is a little difficult in the Midwest, although not impossible. I agree with Darkhawk - where I live is *different* from California, and place is really important to me, so ultimately I'd like to work with someone who speaks the language of where I'm from, or close to it.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 18, 2020, 05:04:00 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 19, 2010, 02:24:48 am »

I'm also currently in Veedub's distance training. It's free, and she may be starting another session next year. (Veedub is Valerie Walker, the creator of the Dustbunnies Book.) Her approach is *very* self-directed, to a degree that I'm finding challenging.
<pricks up ears> That might be just the ticket for me - I'm well-accustomed to self-teaching (to the point where not self-directed is by definition more of a challenge than self-directed), and eclecticism is the path I'm called to in much the way, AFAICT, that others are called to more specific paths, but I'm very aware of the Feri-esque aspects of my stuff, and have often wondered about effective ways to explore that better.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Fagan_the_Pagan
Master Member
Last Login:February 11, 2012, 04:39:54 am

Religion: Ecclectic Bard

Tá tine sna ceann orm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 23, 2010, 01:41:53 am »

I would love to get some Feri training at some point.  I just spend most of my time in New York these days, which seems to make it almost impossible, since I don't have the funds to pay for online or phone courses.  So for now I am getting by with what I can find online for free.

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people."--Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
Soul Fire
Journeyman
Last Login:February 07, 2011, 01:16:39 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 29, 2010, 04:51:54 pm »

I'm following up on suggestions from other posters who noticed that I commented on enjoying the styles both of Starhawk and of Francesca DeGrandis and recommended that I further explore Feri. I'm also looking more at Reclaiming.

I was wondering--what other posters here follow any of these three traditions? How did you study? What resources did you draw upon? Are you solitary, or do you have a group to work with? I notice that all three groups seem to be concentrated in California, and I'm in NYC ... Plus, it seems to me that--at least with Feri--a lot of teachers charge rather a lot to train students. That is without a doubt out of my budget, plus, it gives me an uncomfortable feeling.

At this point, I'm trying hard not to spend any money, so I'm working with what I can get out of libraries and what I already own. That means I have De Grandis' two Third Road workbooks and Starhawk's The Spiral Dance. I was able to obtain a library copy of the Twelve Wild Swans, which is gorgeous and thorough. I think I might actually make an exception and buy it. In terms of Feri, I only have what I can get online for free: The Dustbunnies Book, which I've begun to skim, and The White Wand. Do you have other recommendations for inexpensive references?

Why not start with the Andersons' own works? Get the information from the "horses' mouths" so to speak. Twelve Wild Swans is not Feri; it's Reclaiming.

And I have a saying: "If someone is charging you, then you're not getting 'trained'." Tongue
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:54:00 pm by Kalessin » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)