The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 01, 2021, 04:44:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 01, 2021, 04:44:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: and then something happened  (Read 3711 times)
Lady Joy
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 09, 2010, 06:47:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Catholic

Blessed are the nuts

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 20, 2010, 07:21:05 pm »

So, a few days ago i decided to try something. I've always been interested in mythology, mostly Greek mythology, so I asked Apollo that if he did exist, to please show me a sign. I didn't mean this in a rude way, I just really wanted to know. So last night just before I went to sleep, I felt someone hit me on the back of my thighs, just beneath my butt. There was no one there and I sleep on the top bunk. Is this supposed to mean something, or am I just being crazy?

Blessed are the nuts that stopped listening to trumpet of everyday

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Horizons Calling
Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2012, 05:48:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 21, 2010, 12:57:59 am »

Is this supposed to mean something, or am I just being crazy?
Well, of course, my opinion is completely unobjective because I'm a practicing polytheist with relationships with several Greek Deities.

But, YES, it means something. You called on one of the Gods to give you a sign, and He did. It's up to you now whether you want to pursue a real relationship with Him. It can be an amazing path, if you're willing.

When people ask if they're crazy, I always fall back on my knowledge of psychology (which is much more extensive than my knowledge of mythology, I've been studying everything I could find on psychology for over ten years). If you were mentally ill enough to be having tactile hallucinations, you would be having a whole list of other symptoms and issues. I could type them out here but I'm not going to because I know you're not crazy.  Wink
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 21, 2010, 01:46:22 am »

So, a few days ago i decided to try something. I've always been interested in mythology, mostly Greek mythology, so I asked Apollo that if he did exist, to please show me a sign. I didn't mean this in a rude way, I just really wanted to know. So last night just before I went to sleep, I felt someone hit me on the back of my thighs, just beneath my butt. There was no one there and I sleep on the top bunk. Is this supposed to mean something, or am I just being crazy?

I really doubt that this means something, but it's probably not a sign that you're crazy either.

I don't see any particular reason to connect this to Apollo. I guess it's possible, but in my experience, Apollo tends to be very clear about his identity when sending any sort of sign- what the sign may be about might be very unclear, but there's generally no doubt that it's from him.

Also, if it was just before you fell asleep- sometimes your body just feels weird things in that state. Not to mention the amount of time that passed between the request and what happened. Unless there's more to what happened than you're posting here...If I were in the same place as you, I don't see anything that would connect this to Apollo in my mind. Even after having been strongly devoted to him for several years, if it were to happen to me now, without at the very least throwing in a definite feeling of his presence, I wouldn't connect it (and even then, I probably wouldn't.)

I understand the wanting to know...but you might want to hold off on the "show me a sign to prove you exist!" thing and look for other ways to confirm or strengthen your beliefs. If they choose to grant your request, there's a possibility you might not like the proof that they give you. Additionally, as I see it, this is a little too close to an attempt to coerce a god into doing something for you.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 21, 2010, 06:29:46 am »

I doubt that you are crazy, but I also seriously doubt that it was Apollo. People seem to work them selves up sometimes. You would have thought the same thing I'm sure if the power had flickered or the wind had blustered through your window and blown out your candles.

I understand the wanting to know...but you might want to hold off on the "show me a sign to prove you exist!" thing and look for other ways to confirm or strengthen your beliefs. If they choose to grant your request, there's a possibility you might not like the proof that they give you. Additionally, as I see it, this is a little too close to an attempt to coerce a god into doing something for you.

I agree with Flamma, I would probably take it easy on the "Give me proof" stuff, it is a little to much of a demand, and you may not always be pleased with the proof.  If a deity wants you to know s/he is poking around they will let you know on their own.

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: April 21, 2010, 07:36:30 am »

Fiamma's saved me a lot of typing by saying most of what I would have.  Frankly, Apollo is not exactly the first deity I'd connect with a smack on the ass, and it seems like there's a perfectly mundane explanation for the sensation (i.e. odd sensations do happen in that halfway-between-sleeping-and-waking state; I often feel like I'm falling in that state, for example).  Is there something you haven't mentioned that makes you think this was a sign from Apollo?  Based on what you've said here, I'm afraid I don't really see any basis for considering it a sign from anyone at all.  Doesn't mean that you're crazy, though.  Wink

I'll add that I don't think saying, "Hey, give me a sign that you exist," is usually effective at all.  Not just because it's rude (although it kind of is--you might not have meant it to be, but that doesn't mean it isn't) or because you might not like the results (although that's also true), but because once you ask you're looking for the sign and that affects how you percieve things.  Anything slightly unusual or even possibly connected with the deity you were asking can start to look like it's significant, even though most of these things generally aren't.  The flip side of that is that if you lean more toward the skeptical, you can also start to explain away everything that strikes you as possibly significant, so that you wouldn't know a real sign if it happened.  I don't think asking for signs generally puts one in a frame of mind that is conducive to receiving them.

If you're looking for proof of the existence of Apollo or any other god--I think you'll be rather disappointed.  There doesn't tend to be absolute, objective proof for the existence of deities.  Some people have direct experience with one or more gods, which helps with the whole belief thing, but most people don't.  This is one of those areas where you just have to decide for yourself what you believe.  If you're interested in investigating those beliefs, I'd suggest delving deeper into the mythology, learning more about the deities that most interest you, and also starting to learn about the way other people believe.  See if any of it resonates with you.  If so, see where that leads you.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #5: April 21, 2010, 10:58:16 am »

If you're looking for proof of the existence of Apollo or any other god--I think you'll be rather disappointed.  There doesn't tend to be absolute, objective proof for the existence of deities. 

Well in fact in my experience it is like this: I start to doubt something, I shoud know better. I ask for a sign - and I sure as heck get none.
It's like Her saying: You know it. Start to trust. You don't need help there.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Horizons Calling
Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2012, 05:48:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 21, 2010, 10:29:24 pm »

Well, nothing remotely like what the OP described has ever happened to me, so I would take it as a sign (though I don't feel the need to ask for 'signs', I'm kinda scared of what I might get  Tongue).
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 22, 2010, 04:51:10 am »

Well, nothing remotely like what the OP described has ever happened to me, so I would take it as a sign (though I don't feel the need to ask for 'signs', I'm kinda scared of what I might get  Tongue).

What in your mind would connect the asking for a sign with an odd, random sensation occurring several days later, in an (assumed to be, based on what the OP has said) unconnected context?

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: April 22, 2010, 07:11:23 am »

Well, nothing remotely like what the OP described has ever happened to me, so I would take it as a sign

New experiences happen all the time.  Sometimes they're even a bit unusual.  Being new and a little unusual does not, in and of itself, constitute a sign--not even if you've asked for one.  I think before it can be considered a sign, there has to be some indication of its being anything beyond any other new, somewhat odd occurrence.  Given the description posted, I don't see anything that actually connects this experience to Apollo, and I don't see any reason why it should be assigned any more significance than "sometimes stuff like that happens when you're falling asleep".

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 24, 2010, 03:16:24 pm »

Is this supposed to mean something, or am I just being crazy?

I don't think you're crazy, but the only person who can really know if it means something is you. I don't personally put much stock in random signs, but I've also had experiences with the Gods communicating to me, too. I'm pretty sure it was Brigit communicating with me because I've talked with lots of other folks who work with Brigit and She often communicates with them in similar fashion.

Do I personally think it was a sign from Apollo? Well, I think Zeus is more likely to be slapping women on the ass. If you want to work with Greek gods and try to build a relationship with them, do it. Why would you need some sort of validation first?

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)