The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 05:46:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 05:46:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tarot Card Meanings Different than the Books?  (Read 4592 times)
AnneNevill
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2018, 09:56:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 21, 2010, 08:39:54 pm »

I'm trying to learn about Tarot. I want to learn Rider-Waite because they are standard and the symbolism is so widely used in other decks. However, I've noticed that when I pick up a card and try to interpret it, I often come up with meanings which are VERY different than the ones which are listed on websites and in the books. For instance, for the Two of Swords, I perceived "balance, harmony, trust." According to this site, the keywords for the card are "blocked emotions, avoidance, stalemate." What do you do when your gut reaction to a card is so different? Has anyone else had this problem when learning tarot?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:33:19 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject changed » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 22, 2010, 10:36:21 am »

What do you do when your gut reaction to a card is so different? Has anyone else had this problem when learning tarot?

First and foremost, I always go with my gut. If the card gives me a meaning, then I use that instead of the definition in the book. You can't take all books at face value, because I've seen many books with conflicting definitions for each card. For me, for example, the 2 of swords talks about choices- you have to go one way or the other, but the choice is even on both sides, and will be difficult to make. Where did I get that definition? Through using my cards, and the imagery on my cards.

That's my 2 cents.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
CrinklyBlue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 02, 2010, 01:10:37 am

Religion: Animist

Blog entries (0)

Kerian.Nox BandedNagini

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 22, 2010, 02:26:21 pm »

I'm trying to learn about Tarot. I want to learn Rider-Waite because they are standard and the symbolism is so widely used in other decks. However, I've noticed that when I pick up a card and try to interpret it, I often come up with meanings which are VERY different than the ones which are listed on websites and in the books. For instance, for the Two of Swords, I perceived "balance, harmony, trust." According to this site, the keywords for the card are "blocked emotions, avoidance, stalemate." What do you do when your gut reaction to a card is so different? Has anyone else had this problem when learning tarot?

If you wish to learn Rider-Waite from a book, a place to start is THE book that is supposed to accompany the Rider-Waite(-Smith) deck. The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, which can be found online at WikiSource [1]. It is a dry and droll book, I will admit and agree, but it is Arthur Edward Waite's own thoughts and opinions of the deck he commissioned. All other books referencing the Rider-Waite deck are just reinterpretations of varying degrees. Some will march lock-step with what he wrote. Some will vary wildly into completely new interpretations.

Having said that, the best definitions you can use for the Rider-Waite (or any OTHER tarot/oracle deck) are those definitions that work for YOU. Get a notebook/journal/paper/digital media and start noting how each card speaks to you. Get fifty tarot readers in a room, restrict them to one common deck, and you'll get fifty different interpretations. (Assuming you can get them to agree to share one deck, much less WHICH deck to share! *rolls eyes*)

Your "alternate" interpretation of the 2 of Swords is true and valid... for you. For anyone, or any book, to tell you otherwise is foolishness and dogma. The books merely give you a place to start learning. As you continue your studies, you'll find yourself referring to the book less and less, and to your intuition more and more. Keep going.

[1] http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Pictorial_Key_to_the_Tarot
AnneNevill
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 23, 2010, 08:36:19 am »

First and foremost, I always go with my gut. If the card gives me a meaning, then I use that instead of the definition in the book. You can't take all books at face value, because I've seen many books with conflicting definitions for each card. For me, for example, the 2 of swords talks about choices- you have to go one way or the other, but the choice is even on both sides, and will be difficult to make. Where did I get that definition? Through using my cards, and the imagery on my cards.

That's my 2 cents.

-Devo

Thank you for the information!
AnneNevill
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 23, 2010, 08:39:16 am »

If you wish to learn Rider-Waite from a book, a place to start is THE book that is supposed to accompany the Rider-Waite(-Smith) deck. The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, which can be found online at WikiSource [1]. It is a dry and droll book, I will admit and agree, but it is Arthur Edward Waite's own thoughts and opinions of the deck he commissioned. All other books referencing the Rider-Waite deck are just reinterpretations of varying degrees. Some will march lock-step with what he wrote. Some will vary wildly into completely new interpretations.

Having said that, the best definitions you can use for the Rider-Waite (or any OTHER tarot/oracle deck) are those definitions that work for YOU. Get a notebook/journal/paper/digital media and start noting how each card speaks to you. Get fifty tarot readers in a room, restrict them to one common deck, and you'll get fifty different interpretations. (Assuming you can get them to agree to share one deck, much less WHICH deck to share! *rolls eyes*)

Your "alternate" interpretation of the 2 of Swords is true and valid... for you. For anyone, or any book, to tell you otherwise is foolishness and dogma. The books merely give you a place to start learning. As you continue your studies, you'll find yourself referring to the book less and less, and to your intuition more and more. Keep going.

[1] http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Pictorial_Key_to_the_Tarot

Thank you for the reference. I didn't know about this book. There is a version on Sacred Texts as well.
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 12, 2010, 03:04:23 pm »

Usually your gut is right. Also, it depends which deck you're using what the cards tend to symbolize, since Aleister Crowley, creator of the Thoth deck, called 2/swords Peace. If you're using a deck that has taken a lot of its symbolism from Crowley's writings, it's definitely worth looking at a site like Raven's Tarot Site for a clear explanation on the Thoth system.

Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 12, 2010, 03:52:15 am »

My interpretation of the cards can vary from day to day.  On a card like the fours of cups, for example, one day the person in it looks happy and content, and that is how I read it.  On another, he/she looks sad and abandoned.  With divination, it is always best to follow your instincts. 
RootRealm
Journeyman
Last Login:August 21, 2010, 07:37:59 am

Religion: Hermetic Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 15, 2010, 01:34:51 am »

Yes, I've had that difficulty too.  When I'm using Tarot (I'm still a learner, have only been working a few years) I am aware that I'm both trying to "read" some issue in my life, but at the same time, am trying to learn the "traditional" meanings to the cards.  Therefore I am interested in BOTH my own take on the cards, as well as the "given" meaning.  HOwever I use a process of intuitive discrimination and selectivity as to where I go for "given meanings."  I prefer the interpretations which have the most psychological depth and richness of archetypal resonance.  So I basically use my own intuition and inner wisdom to "select" the "proper" interpretation for my own needs.  Also, I will have different responses to the cards depending on which deck I use.  A FairyTale deck showing an illustration of a fairy tale for one of the trumps, is going to effect me differently than a "standard" trump illustration.  I trust my intuition when I reach out my hand to pick which deck to work with.  Today maybe I need a fairy tale.  Tomorrow maybe I need a more Rider Waite based deck. 

If you live according to an example, you live the life of that example.  There is only one way and that is your way.  You seek the path? I warn you away from my own.  May each go his own way....  ---Carl Jung
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: July 15, 2010, 10:59:07 am »

My interpretation of the cards can vary from day to day.  On a card like the fours of cups, for example, one day the person in it looks happy and content, and that is how I read it.  On another, he/she looks sad and abandoned.  With divination, it is always best to follow your instincts. 

That's true.
The cards meanings shift. To read them is fluid, flexible.
Esp. with the Lenormand combinations (which is the main thing, that gives them meaning at all) I now start to get other meanings by intuition than they are in the books.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
nyx190
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 24, 2010, 11:49:25 am
Canada Canada

Religion: none
TCN ID: nyx190

Gravatar

Blog entries (8)

http://www.myspace.com/he http://www.facebook.com/h jessicapaskaruk

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 27, 2010, 02:17:53 pm »

i have the same deck of cards and when i look at the 2 of swords i see a choice is on the way to take you out of your gray disposition.

i have noticed that most cards can 2 sided as well a light and a dark depending on the other cards. in would just go with the flow of the cards that is what i have been doing (even though i have only been doing readings for about 3 months) and it has never lead me down the wrong path. and who knows maybe that card is trying to tell you something

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)