The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 15, 2019, 06:48:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2019, 06:48:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding Privacy  (Read 3175 times)
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 24, 2010, 05:18:31 pm »

For those of you lucky enough to be able to do rituals outdoors, how on earth do you find the privacy to do it?

I would love to do rituals outdoors. But I live in the suburbs in a rowhouse. I can't even go out and get the mail without having to chat with someone, and the backyard backs on to an alley between us and the street behind us. No privacy there. Local parks close after dark and I wouldn't feel comfortable in an isolated area without my husband with me. We don't have a lot of violence here, but there's been enough incidents over the years that I'd rather not tempt fate.

So... suggestions? Besides moving, that is. That's in our long-term plan but isn't a short-term solution.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

maverickmuse
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 13, 2012, 05:26:50 pm

Religion: Polytheistic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 24, 2010, 09:45:06 pm »

... I can't even go out and get the mail without having to chat with someone, and the backyard backs on to an alley between us and the street behind us. No privacy there...
So... suggestions? Besides moving, that is. That's in our long-term plan but isn't a short-term solution...
When my family lived in the midst of the populace, I learned a few tricks to help keep some sanity in those days; maybe, it’ll help now. 

*Observe your parks, school yards, or business parks for quiet zones.  A place, a corner, or a zone may call to you.  Just make a mental note to return soon.

*Embrace the mists.  Often folks will run inside at the first sign of light rain, fog, or change in the weather.  The veil that the mists offer can be a priceless gift.  Having a rain coat and an umbrella with a good pair of boots can open up a whole new wonderful world.

*Sunrise and sunset are brilliant moments every single day.  So much of our world never seems to fully cherish how unique each one is, so any dawn or twilight moment in your own yard or local park may offer the tranquility you deserve.

*Finally, find and trust the quietness within.  Practicing and expanding this simple trust will make the moments that you do carve out more powerful, more fulfilling and infinitely more rewarding.

I am afraid that this sounds over-simplified, but there is nothing more important for some of us than having our privacy.  I wish you the best and hope you’ll let us know what works for you!

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~~Author Unknown~~
tinapo85
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 02, 2011, 12:52:04 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Tina Palmer

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 24, 2010, 09:53:34 pm »

For those of you lucky enough to be able to do rituals outdoors, how on earth do you find the privacy to do it?

Clusters of trees or shrubbery can be your best friend.

During my freshman year of college I lived on campus and I would do ritual outside in this cluster of pine trees I found. no one could see me in there, and it was right behind my dorm.

now I live in an apartment again ( I did live in a house for a few years) and once again I have a cluster of pine trees behind my building. So If I want to do an outdoor ritual at night I go inside the tree cluster.
thetwitchyone
Apprentice
Last Login:June 22, 2010, 02:43:31 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Nonpracticing Bahaí and something of a pagan...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 25, 2010, 03:38:21 am »

I would love to do rituals outdoors. But I live in the suburbs in a rowhouse. I can't even go out and get the mail without having to chat with someone, and the backyard backs on to an alley between us and the street behind us. No privacy there. Local parks close after dark and I wouldn't feel comfortable in an isolated area without my husband with me. We don't have a lot of violence here, but there's been enough incidents over the years that I'd rather not tempt fate.

So... suggestions? Besides moving, that is. That's in our long-term plan but isn't a short-term solution.

Karen
One of the things that I found was that certain parks that are closer to industrial areas get a lot less traffic.  It does mean that they are more isolated, which can lead to issues with feeling safe, I guess.  But you can find a nice place that is in an area of your town that nobody is around after hours because thereś no housing around it, eliminating the issue of worry.

Another trick is to leave the beaten path.  If you have a ¨boardwalk¨ park (and most cities do, nowadays), take a look around in the park for areas that don have any paths to them.  Most people will stick to areas that are well-travelled, so they can avoid getting lost or dirty.  If you keep your wits about you, though, you don have anything to worry about.

I found a place like this in my old hometown...  It was a perfect spot, with a concrete platform set up right on the edge of a river...  perfect for almost any kind of ritual, and shielded from view by the platform itself and all the overgrowth that nobody cared to clear.  It was right in the middle of the industrial part of downtown, so nobody lived nearby, and it was easy to get to because the parking lots for the factories were always left open after working hours.  

If you can find a place like that, it can become your special little place without having to worry too much about others coming and interupting you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 03:43:26 am by thetwitchyone » Logged
Esoletik
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2011, 12:58:13 pm

Religion: Theologic Pessimist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 26, 2010, 07:08:26 pm »

Karen

There's a lot of open space where I live.  I mean a lot of it, but the perfect place to do my spiritual work is a section of river smack dab in the center of town, and that's where I choose to do ritual work. Duh on me.  Visualization and intent have given me the ability to do that work in the midst of tourist season.  It's just a matter of being willing to focus exclusively on what I'm doing and letting the rest of the world do as they wish while I sit in one spot and "watch the show".

samham73
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 21, 2011, 12:13:39 pm
Spain Spain

Religion: Celtic shamanism/Norse Paganism

"not many are shamans, but shamanic practitioners"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 01, 2010, 06:55:25 pm »

Karen

Im lucky that I live on an island that has areas of very little population. It has vast areas of mountains the indiginous people (Guanche) used to use as sacred spots like marriage and offerings. I live right beside a small mountain and it is used as a peaceful walk for tourists who like treking mountains. But like another person said on this thread about parks, I agree on going off the path and exploring areas that are untouched. I Have made a stone circle of the year that took me a few weeks to create from boulders. Its a perfect spot to celebrate the solar celebrations. The only thing is, it takes a long walk to get there from my house  Cheesy
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 01, 2010, 09:51:58 pm »

Karen

I've been in a townhouse, or 'row house' as you've do eloquently put it for the last few years.  We're finally moving into a place with a fer reals yard, and all but anyways...

I've learned to ignore my neighbors and to take up the space that I need when I need it.  Look out your window.  I'm the gal doing jumping snap kicks and cartwheels in the common area between.

I will also ignore my neighbors when they are being strange or drunk.

That's the deal with close housing.  It may not lend itself to a full sized ritual space, but if you have an outdoor patio and can focus in on the space you mark out, you should be able to do what you need to do.  Creating a checkerboard sized mini ritual space outdoors where you don't necessarily walk far, but have the space to light candles, incense and work outdoors with the set up you'd like can be a good compromise.  Especially after dark. 

I've found my neighbors find me odd yet alright.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
RootRealm
Journeyman
Last Login:August 21, 2010, 07:37:59 am

Religion: Hermetic Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 26, 2010, 01:35:39 am »

Karen

I feel for you!  This can be a dilemma, can't it.  I'm fortunate to live in an area with large parks that "technically" close after dark, but  Cheesy people have been known to enter in after dark, for full moon rituals or long walks.  (I think the rangers are wise to these Pagan antics and wisely choose to ignore them).  I concur with the poster who suggested becoming friends with the mists.  I have found that one of the very, very best times for a walk in solitude in the middle of the city (I live in an urban area) is when it's raining.  THe harder it's raining, the more solitude I can get.  I have invested in raingear and it pays off. 

Is there some cornfield or other field nearby, that might be private land but where you very likely wont' be noticed or bothering anyone, should you enter in after dark? 

You could have your husband come and stay sentinel a distance from you, while you keep enough privacy to conduct your ritual alone, in the parks that have technically closed after dark. 

I have gotten very good at doing aspects of ritual while I walk, so as not to be noticed.  I look like anyone out for a regular walk in the neighborhood, though they might not know that I have my hand on an amulet in my pocket and am saying certain words just in a whisper....

If you live according to an example, you live the life of that example.  There is only one way and that is your way.  You seek the path? I warn you away from my own.  May each go his own way....  ---Carl Jung
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 21, 2010, 06:09:00 pm »

Karen

We currently live in a twin and have a small, fenced yard.  However, our last home was a two-up-two-down row-house with no yard and no private space.  I put plants out around our front step and onto the sidewalk (we were in the back of the complex, so the pots weren't an issue) and a small non-obvious altar set-up.  My rituals were quiet and contemplative (given the space), and no one said boo.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.