The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 18, 2021, 11:44:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2021, 11:44:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 5339 times)
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 24, 2010, 06:51:30 pm »

Anyone else play? Or attempt to play? I have a pile of cards and I keep nagging my husband to look at the rules with me so we can learn the game.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 24, 2010, 10:10:50 pm »

Anyone else play? Or attempt to play? I have a pile of cards and I keep nagging my husband to look at the rules with me so we can learn the game.

I never got into collectible game cards. For some reason the whole thing just did not interest me. Perhaps because I never got into collecting cards of any type as a kid.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 24, 2010, 11:57:06 pm »

Karen

I play, when I have the time and opponents. I prefer the oldschool rules because the know stuff is.... mean. You can get killed before you blink.....

Flee from the slivers! Flee!

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 25, 2010, 07:36:03 am »

I play, when I have the time and opponents. I prefer the oldschool rules because the know stuff is.... mean. You can get killed before you blink.....

Flee from the slivers! Flee!

I had a couple of old school decks. and I can remeber a setup which would drop and kill first turn if the person holding the deck was lucky and 3rd turn in the worst case.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #4: April 25, 2010, 08:05:25 am »

Karen

I've got two sets for years now.
But never really got into playing.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #5: April 25, 2010, 09:30:04 am »

Karen

I have played a few times.  It was okay fun, but I could never bring myself to invest the money you need to be competitive.

Sperran
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 25, 2010, 11:05:10 am »

I have played a few times.  It was okay fun, but I could never bring myself to invest the money you need to be competitive.

Yeah, I'd play with the DH or friends before I'd go and do tourneys. I like collecting the cards but I don't want to invest a lot of time and money in building certain sorts of decks.

We printed out the quick-start rules last night. Maybe we'll play some games today if I decide to procrastinate on my school project some more.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 25, 2010, 12:19:05 pm »

Yeah, I'd play with the DH or friends before I'd go and do tourneys. I like collecting the cards but I don't want to invest a lot of time and money in building certain sorts of decks.

I used to play when I was a teenager. I have 6 decks, one of each color and one combined. I still play with my sister sometimes, but we haven't played in a year or so. I love those cards, and I would still buy them, just for collecting's sake, if they weren't so expensive. The extensions used to cost $5, and are now $35!

Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 25, 2010, 01:22:58 pm »

I have played a few times. If you do not want to get into the collectibles and just like to play with acquintances, there used to be some starter sets or you collect a set and then build not one but two decks, one for the other as well. I never had cards and played it over at a friends house, we usually divided the colors and took turns picking out the artifacts (neutrals). It won't get you into any tournaments, but it functions well as a game to have a nice night with friends, and the possibility of games that are fairly balanced.

I didn't like the big-bigger-biggest ways it went though, because it drained the tactics of playing from the game. However, if you don't play regularly, it's hard to keep up with all the options, and it is mainly lots of reading.
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 25, 2010, 07:38:04 pm »

Karen

I used to play back in the day around 4th edition.  Have not played recently, though.  The old school rules are what I prefer.  

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: April 25, 2010, 07:54:16 pm »

Used to, like, fifteen years ago; it's how I met one of my husbands.  Not these days, and the new stuff is Too Weird For Me.

Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 25, 2010, 10:02:28 pm »

Karen

Funny you should post this now; we've been playing this weekend - for the first time in nearly a decade. I used to be a major collector; got into it right from the start, with the alphas (tho I sold most of those off years ago). I have a smattering of cards from newer releases, but the bulk of our collection is pre-Urza. (I'm not really fond of the new design format either.)

Caroline

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 26, 2010, 06:34:47 am »

Played casually up till the Urza expansions started being churned out and the cards started to get amazingly and weirdly powerful. Gimme those Mirage and Visions days!  Smiley

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
theicon
Last Login:May 07, 2010, 04:37:14 am

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 07, 2010, 03:50:34 am »

eh. I used to play a few years ago. I still really like the graphics on the cards. but Im not very interested in them anymore.

*Link Removed*

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.