The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 15, 2019, 06:51:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2019, 06:51:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Who Made You?  (Read 10158 times)
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 27, 2010, 03:51:46 pm »

I was torn between putting this topic here and in the Gods/Goddesses one, but I feel this might be more of an appropriate place.

Also, it's probably much more of a hard polytheistic question, but here goes.

This question's been rattling around in my head for a week or two.  To start out, I was thinking simply about Hermes, and his role in my life, as well as the goddess I've been struggling to find.  Then something popped into my head that was incredibly disruptive to my way of thinking:

I don't believe Hermes created me. I don't think Belisama or Hathor did, either. Zeus is a chief god in the Greek pantheon, but I don't think HE created me. If none of these deities did, then WHO created me? Or am I a product of nature? If someone else DID, should I be worshipping them? Or is it perfectly all right just to go on acknowledging the deities that I do, while not knowing/ignoring the one who might should be acknowledged?

Though it's been in my head, it's a question that's a bit like a VERY sore tooth. I know it's there, but I don't want to acknowledge it, partially because I'm afraid of the answer..... but I also keep poking  at it.

Thoughts?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 27, 2010, 04:18:05 pm »

Honestly? I have no idea who made me. I also don't know who made the rivers or the trees or the house I live in. Nor do I feel a need to know. I'm made, the stars are made, my car is made- it's what I do with it that counts. If someone wants recognition for making me, they can tell me so and I'll give it to them, but otherwise it's not something that concerns me.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 27, 2010, 04:36:18 pm »

If you mean "made" as in Who influenced you to become the person you are today, then I find this question a strange coincidence, because I've almost come to terms with the idea that Brighid might have made me. I'm not getting a "Hey, we have this special relationship" vibe that I get from Anpu, but I have this strange feeling that She's always been there, inspiring me and urging me to follow Her aspects (broadly, since I'm not a metalsmith).

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 27, 2010, 05:02:56 pm »

Well, when a mommy and daddy love each other VERY much (or probably drunk in the case of my parents)......

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 27, 2010, 05:48:48 pm »

Well, when a mommy and daddy love each other VERY much (or probably drunk in the case of my parents)......

Or, when there's a huge snow-storm and mommy and daddy are trapped on top of a mountain and there's nothing on tv....

Oh wait, that's just me. >.<

In all seriousness, I think I am a product of nature, immaturity, and dropping a little too much LSD (Yeah, part of why I have daddy-issues). That is, that's how my BODY was created. As for ME, as a person, as a spirit/soul whatever have you, I have no idea who/what created me and I don't know that I want to think about it. I'm sure I'd like to know, but I think trying to figure it out would just give me headache.

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 27, 2010, 06:30:28 pm »

<cough, cough, sputter, giggle>

Brina
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 27, 2010, 06:54:05 pm »

*GUFFAWS*

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Miss Kitten
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 21, 2013, 08:44:07 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 27, 2010, 07:07:03 pm »

Once upon a time there was a woman who thought, hmm, I think my husband might leave me.  I know how to keep him!  I'll have a baby!  And I need someone to love and adore me!  Lolz!
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 27, 2010, 07:14:49 pm »

If someone wants recognition for making me, they can tell me so and I'll give it to them, but otherwise it's not something that concerns me.

That is an -excellent- point.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 27, 2010, 07:15:20 pm »

If you mean "made" as in Who influenced you to become the person you are today, then I find this question a strange coincidence, because I've almost come to terms with the idea that Brighid might have made me. I'm not getting a "Hey, we have this special relationship" vibe that I get from Anpu, but I have this strange feeling that She's always been there, inspiring me and urging me to follow Her aspects (broadly, since I'm not a metalsmith).

Oh, I mean more as in ... complete creation, not personality. Smiley

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 27, 2010, 07:16:17 pm »

That is, that's how my BODY was created. As for ME, as a person, as a spirit/soul whatever have you, I have no idea who/what created me and I don't know that I want to think about it. I'm sure I'd like to know, but I think trying to figure it out would just give me headache.

See, that pulls out a completely different aspect to the conversation as well... body vs. soul! Now I've got even MORE to think about.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 27, 2010, 08:10:54 pm »

I don't believe Hermes created me. I don't think Belisama or Hathor did, either. Zeus is a chief god in the Greek pantheon, but I don't think HE created me. If none of these deities did, then WHO created me? Or am I a product of nature? If someone else DID, should I be worshipping them? Or is it perfectly all right just to go on acknowledging the deities that I do, while not knowing/ignoring the one who might should be acknowledged?

Though it's been in my head, it's a question that's a bit like a VERY sore tooth. I know it's there, but I don't want to acknowledge it, partially because I'm afraid of the answer..... but I also keep poking  at it.

Thoughts?

I'm of the "I'm a product of nature" camp. My parents made me, and in my case they were a great (positive!) influence in other areas besides my physical body. They set my spiritual path in motion simply by raising me UU and not only allowing me but encouraging me to explore on my own. When it comes to personality, much of that is definitely inherited, and much is definitely due to the open environment in which I was raised.

I also don't spend time trying to figure out how nature happened, or why it works the way it does. I used to drive myself crazy with origins questions, and finally settled on enjoying the existence instead of wasting time worrying over how it came about.

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 27, 2010, 08:28:02 pm »

Oh, I mean more as in ... complete creation, not personality. Smiley

Well, if you put it that way, then my parents made me.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 27, 2010, 10:10:49 pm »

Funny enough, this was my first thought on seeing this thread too! Cheesy

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: April 27, 2010, 10:18:49 pm »

Funny enough, this was my first thought on seeing this thread too! Cheesy

Awww, you're beginning to take after me?  Either that or I infected you somehow Grin

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)