The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 02:54:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 02:54:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do people still worship the Greek/Roman gods/goddesses?  (Read 20742 times)
Horizons Calling
Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2012, 05:48:19 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 02, 2010, 03:58:49 pm »

Anyway, I always assumed that no one worships (is that the right word to use?) the Greek or Roman gods any more.
Not true at all. I worship Hecate, Zeus, and Apollo every day. My mom also worships Hecate, and I know several other people who worship Greek Gods and Goddesses (not counting the people on this forum, of course).

There are a lot of people in the Pagan community who worship Hecate. She's mixed in with many forms of Goddess worship.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 02, 2010, 06:09:11 pm »

Happy Beltane by the way!

Anyway, I always assumed that no one worships (is that the right word to use?) the Greek or Roman gods any more. I don't know why, but I hear much more about the veneration of the Triple Goddess, Cernnunos and the Green Man than I do of, say, Venus, Apollo or Bacchus. But why is this? Why is that these gods, once so popular in Greece and Rome, have suddenly fallen in numbers of worshippers? The Greeks especially had deities for everything, from a god of silence to a god of dreams.

Although I always got the impression that the Celtic gods from Britain, France and Germany were "older" than the Greek/Roman ones, probably because they seem more primeval and ancient as opposed to sensual and mysterious.

HAHA. Holy crap, I ADORE Hermes. He's my patron god, and I worship him in a completely hard paganistic way. Not a reconstructionist way, exactly, but... yeah. He's Greek. He's a god. And I devote myself to him.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 02, 2010, 06:09:41 pm »

Not true at all. I worship Hecate, Zeus, and Apollo every day. My mom also worships Hecate, and I know several other people who worship Greek Gods and Goddesses (not counting the people on this forum, of course).

There are a lot of people in the Pagan community who worship Hecate. She's mixed in with many forms of Goddess worship.

You know what? I think that's awesome that you and your mother worship the same goddess.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
LuciaStar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 26, 2012, 10:11:48 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Undecided/Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 02, 2010, 06:16:54 pm »

They're still worshiped today but they're not the only pantheon out there, either. I like the Greek/Roman pantheon myself. The Celtic deities do seem to be worshiped a lot, though, but it doesn't mean they're being excluded.

wynterelf86
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 12, 2010, 01:12:19 pm

Religion: hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 04, 2010, 12:52:00 pm »

Yup they still do! I worship Apollo and Dionysus Smiley
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: May 04, 2010, 12:57:07 pm »

Yup they still do! I worship Apollo and Dionysus Smiley

wynterelf86,

Just a friendly reminder, please don't forget to QUOTE.

Melamphoros, TC Staff

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 06, 2010, 01:16:15 pm »

Happy Beltane by the way!

Anyway, I always assumed that no one worships (is that the right word to use?) the Greek or Roman gods any more. I don't know why, but I hear much more about the veneration of the Triple Goddess, Cernnunos and the Green Man than I do of, say, Venus, Apollo or Bacchus. But why is this? Why is that these gods, once so popular in Greece and Rome, have suddenly fallen in numbers of worshippers? The Greeks especially had deities for everything, from a god of silence to a god of dreams.

Although I always got the impression that the Celtic gods from Britain, France and Germany were "older" than the Greek/Roman ones, probably because they seem more primeval and ancient as opposed to sensual and mysterious.

Yes, they are still being worshiped .  I know a few who worship them.  Btw, I never considered Hades evil.  I actually feel drawn towards him, even tho he isn't my God.   My main deity is the Egyptian God, Set.  He has a bad reputation and is considered evil by some people.  I don't believe deities are evil or good, they just are.

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
Horizons Calling
Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2012, 05:48:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 06, 2010, 05:22:53 pm »

I don't believe deities are evil or good, they just are.
I agree. All the Deities are capable of doing nice and not-so-nice things depending on the situation.
theicon
Last Login:May 07, 2010, 04:37:14 am

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: May 07, 2010, 04:37:00 am »

its not a very prominent relgion obviously. but Im positive there are still people who do.

*Link Removed*
Freakshow
Apprentice
Last Login:June 07, 2010, 11:16:02 pm

Religion: Religio Romana

Gettin' Down with 3P!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: May 11, 2010, 11:35:17 pm »

Anyway, I always assumed that no one worships (is that the right word to use?) the Greek or Roman gods any more.

Ummm...Hellenismos or Religio Romana anyone?  We're alive and well, as are our Gods!
Greek Religion:
Hellenismos.us
YSEE.gr/index-eng.php
Theoi.com
groups.yahoo.com/group/Hellenic_Recons

Roman Religion:
NovaRoma.org
SocietasViaRomana.net
ReligioRomana.net
Groups.Yahoo.com/groups/ReligioRomana

...funny, my impression is the exact opposite.  Also, it should be noted, that the Gods of Rome are not the same Gods who were worshipped in Greece.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:37:27 pm by Freakshow » Logged

Frozen in Pose and There's No Way to Move Me
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: May 12, 2010, 11:38:09 am »

Ummm...Hellenismos or Religio Romana anyone?  We're alive and well, as are our Gods!
Greek Religion:
Hellenismos.us
YSEE.gr/index-eng.php
Theoi.com
groups.yahoo.com/group/Hellenic_Recons

Roman Religion:
NovaRoma.org
SocietasViaRomana.net
ReligioRomana.net
Groups.Yahoo.com/groups/ReligioRomana

...funny, my impression is the exact opposite.  Also, it should be noted, that the Gods of Rome are not the same Gods who were worshipped in Greece.

I have a friend in NovaRoma!  And boy, do I love Theoi.net.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Freakshow
Apprentice
Last Login:June 07, 2010, 11:16:02 pm

Religion: Religio Romana

Gettin' Down with 3P!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: May 13, 2010, 01:16:16 pm »

I have a friend in NovaRoma!  And boy, do I love Theoi.net.

Oi...I'll pray for your friend!  That place is a viper's nest...  Trust me, I've been there and done that...lol  And yes, Theoi.com is AMAZING for all things Greek.

Frozen in Pose and There's No Way to Move Me
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: May 13, 2010, 02:18:45 pm »

Oi...I'll pray for your friend!  That place is a viper's nest...  Trust me, I've been there and done that...lol  And yes, Theoi.com is AMAZING for all things Greek.

That's what I've heard her say... especially the online stuff. Yet ANOTHER reason I didn't join. I love Roman stuff, especially the British era stuff... but good lawd, the horrors of NR? No thank you. NOT that there aren't cool folks out there, mind.

And I will get to your amazing email when I can-- on my lunch break.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.