The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 14, 2021, 03:51:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2021, 03:51:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Making the switch?  (Read 4885 times)
desertsong
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 12, 2010, 10:25:45 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

desertsong_

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 05, 2010, 07:55:21 pm »

Hey all,

I have a question for anyone who came to Paganism after being a part of another religion/system of belief, especially one with very different or even opposing tenets. Christianity would be the obvious example, and it's mine. I became a Christian almost four years ago, but ever since I was young I'd been interested in magic and ritual and myth and all things pagan. I've recently started to question whether Christianity is right for me, but at the same time, it's very difficult - I believe in Jesus, or I thought I did, and I don't want to do anything that's wrong in His eyes. Not because I'm afraid of Hell or anything - I've never believed in Hell as most Christians see it - but because if what I've believed about Christianity is in fact true, I'd be hurting God by turning away from Him, and I don't want to do that.

So, as I try to figure this out... I'd love to hear about anything you guys have experienced, or any thoughts on the subject. If you've gone from one belief to another, did you just... stop believing in what you'd believed in before? Do you still believe in it, only more inclusively? Any thoughts are appreciated. Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 05, 2010, 08:24:36 pm »

Hey all,

I have a question for anyone who came to Paganism after being a part of another religion/system of belief, especially one with very different or even opposing tenets. Christianity would be the obvious example, and it's mine. I became a Christian almost four years ago, but ever since I was young I'd been interested in magic and ritual and myth and all things pagan. I've recently started to question whether Christianity is right for me, but at the same time, it's very difficult - I believe in Jesus, or I thought I did, and I don't want to do anything that's wrong in His eyes. Not because I'm afraid of Hell or anything - I've never believed in Hell as most Christians see it - but because if what I've believed about Christianity is in fact true, I'd be hurting God by turning away from Him, and I don't want to do that.

So, as I try to figure this out... I'd love to hear about anything you guys have experienced, or any thoughts on the subject. If you've gone from one belief to another, did you just... stop believing in what you'd believed in before? Do you still believe in it, only more inclusively? Any thoughts are appreciated. Smiley

I'm one of those hard polytheists who still believes in the Christian god, and Jesus, and all. I just don't believe that they are as the Bible says.  I think, in a roundabout way, they've been misquoted, and a lot of who/what they are has been skewed by folks who had a lot of political reasons for writing what they did... especially when it came to the Romans.

There's a lot of evidence to the fact that most of the Old Testament is made up of Egyptian, Assyrian, and Sumerian myths retold, with the names changed.  "101 Myths About The Bible" is one to read for that.

So, for me, the more reading I did on an historical and a religious level, the more I came to realize that a lot of the stuff out there happened to be the same things retold throughout the ages, and that it's all tied together with a hundred thousand different strings of belief.  I slid into paganism more than I fell.   I am still learning about it. I am still finding bits of it that are right for me, and bits that are wrong. You know?

I also acknowledge that what I believe could be absolutely wrong-- that only death will prove once and for all what's really going to be waiting for me on the other side. (That's my personal belief, of course.)

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 05, 2010, 08:37:06 pm »

My advice to you is take your time, and read as much as possible about all of the different things that interest you. The more informed you are the better equipped you are to make  the decisions you have to make. You do not need to dedicate your self to anything right away. Try different things until you find what works for you.

I also came from a christian back ground. I was brought up in a devout roman Catholic house hold and was happy to be there. The change came for me when I hit a very low point in my life and had some serious problems that I won't get into here, but my faith as a christian was seriously shaken and I began to realize that my belief system just did not provide the comfort that it once had, or the answers to my problems. Thus I began to study other religions until I found one that fit.

Although there is much debate on the whole christian pagan combo, there is no hard fast rule that says you can not practice a pagan religion and not worship Jesus or incorporate some of your christian beliefs.

Best of Luck Smiley

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 05, 2010, 08:46:24 pm »

I was raised Lutheran and believed more or less until maybe I was 12 or so although even has a child I had some concerns about some parts of the religion. I think that I just stop believing in anything for a few years until I discovered that pagans still existed and I could be one too. Because I took a long time between beliefs I had enough time ot let go of what I didn't like rather than waking up suddenly all confused. At the moment I am actually having a much much harder time as I was a soft polytheist but have recieved definate communication from a goddess who isn't my God/dess. Now I can't figure out what I think, believe, know and am unduly influenced by any conflicting ideas that I hear.
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 05, 2010, 10:10:49 pm »

I was raised Roman Catholic and actually went to a Catholic school for 1st through 8th grade. I received the first five Sacraments, though when it was time for my Confirmation, I was getting the feeling that Catholicism wasn't right for me. This feeling clung to me and grew stronger as I entered high school, and though I don't remember the details, I'm pretty sure my transition from Catholic to (at the time) Kemetic Reconstructionist was very, very abrupt. I had always been fascinated by the Egyptian Gods, and when I was looking up information on Them, I discovered Kemeticism and, being fourteen, thought it was cool. I decided then that the Abrahamic God didn't exist, because He didn't feel real to me.

Nowadays, though, because I consider myself a hard polytheist, I do recognize Him to exist. I might not pray to Him or have a connection with Him as I do with my own Gods, but I believe that He's there.

Also, what you say about whether the faith of Christianity is true or not: How do we know anything is true, objectively speaking? Even physics might not be true as we know it now. It's my belief that there is no such thing as an objective truth, so to me, it's not a question of if something is true, but whether that truth is applicable to me.

It's just something to think about. Wink

desertsong
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

desertsong_

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 05, 2010, 11:20:03 pm »

I'm one of those hard polytheists who still believes in the Christian god, and Jesus, and all. I just don't believe that they are as the Bible says.  I think, in a roundabout way, they've been misquoted, and a lot of who/what they are has been skewed by folks who had a lot of political reasons for writing what they did... especially when it came to the Romans.

There's a lot of evidence to the fact that most of the Old Testament is made up of Egyptian, Assyrian, and Sumerian myths retold, with the names changed.  "101 Myths About The Bible" is one to read for that.

So, for me, the more reading I did on an historical and a religious level, the more I came to realize that a lot of the stuff out there happened to be the same things retold throughout the ages, and that it's all tied together with a hundred thousand different strings of belief.  I slid into paganism more than I fell.   I am still learning about it. I am still finding bits of it that are right for me, and bits that are wrong. You know?

I also acknowledge that what I believe could be absolutely wrong-- that only death will prove once and for all what's really going to be waiting for me on the other side. (That's my personal belief, of course.)

First off, thanks for the book rec - I'm going to keep an eye out for it, it sounds like something I'd have a lot of fun reading. Smiley

Secondly, when it comes to the polytheism thing... I really think I'm leaning towards hard polytheism as well, because it only makes sense to me. I know the God I've worshipped these past four years is real; the question is more, is He my God anymore, and is it wrong of me to be thinking that way. But the Bible itself speaks of other gods so frequently that it's hard to discount that they exist, from a Christian viewpoint, or at least existed once upon a time. It's not a part of the theology that anyone seems to pay attention to, but it's there.

I definitely know where you're coming from with finding bits that are right and bits that are wrong, too. That's one of the things that draws me to paganism - I'm free to cobble together bits into a cohesive whole. I'm not so much being wrestled into one way of worshipping, with very little wiggle room. I guess you could say it's spiritual claustrophobia. Wink

Anyway, thanks for your wonderful reply!
desertsong
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

desertsong_

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 05, 2010, 11:42:11 pm »

My advice to you is take your time, and read as much as possible about all of the different things that interest you. The more informed you are the better equipped you are to make  the decisions you have to make. You do not need to dedicate your self to anything right away. Try different things until you find what works for you.

I also came from a christian back ground. I was brought up in a devout roman Catholic house hold and was happy to be there. The change came for me when I hit a very low point in my life and had some serious problems that I won't get into here, but my faith as a christian was seriously shaken and I began to realize that my belief system just did not provide the comfort that it once had, or the answers to my problems. Thus I began to study other religions until I found one that fit.

Although there is much debate on the whole christian pagan combo, there is no hard fast rule that says you can not practice a pagan religion and not worship Jesus or incorporate some of your christian beliefs.

Best of Luck Smiley

Wonderful advice, and I'm never going to complain about being told to read. Wink I always have a hard time not jumping into anything right away, but with this, I feel like it's okay if I try things, experiment a little, because it's part of the learning process. But I want to be one hundred percent sure that the path I take is the right path for me now.

I don't know much about blending paganism and Christianity - I didn't even realize it was a possibility until recently, so I still have a lot of research to do on that front! It's going to take a lot of thought and reading and all the usual good stuff, but I think you're right - there's no hard fast rule. And for that I am very glad. Cheesy

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences!
desertsong
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

desertsong_

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 05, 2010, 11:47:01 pm »

I was raised Lutheran and believed more or less until maybe I was 12 or so although even has a child I had some concerns about some parts of the religion. I think that I just stop believing in anything for a few years until I discovered that pagans still existed and I could be one too. Because I took a long time between beliefs I had enough time ot let go of what I didn't like rather than waking up suddenly all confused. At the moment I am actually having a much much harder time as I was a soft polytheist but have recieved definate communication from a goddess who isn't my God/dess. Now I can't figure out what I think, believe, know and am unduly influenced by any conflicting ideas that I hear.

Waking up suddenly confused is exactly what I've done here, so I must say, I envy you a little. Tongue As for soft vs. hard polytheism, that's always been something that's confused me a lot so I don't envy that part of your experience whatsoever! It's almost scary how easily influenced we are in these stages of confusion; it's like all the filters go off, and you really need to concentrate to keep them up.

Here's to figuring out ridiculously confusing things, and thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts. Cheesy
desertsong
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

desertsong_

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 05, 2010, 11:52:21 pm »

I was raised Roman Catholic and actually went to a Catholic school for 1st through 8th grade. I received the first five Sacraments, though when it was time for my Confirmation, I was getting the feeling that Catholicism wasn't right for me. This feeling clung to me and grew stronger as I entered high school, and though I don't remember the details, I'm pretty sure my transition from Catholic to (at the time) Kemetic Reconstructionist was very, very abrupt. I had always been fascinated by the Egyptian Gods, and when I was looking up information on Them, I discovered Kemeticism and, being fourteen, thought it was cool. I decided then that the Abrahamic God didn't exist, because He didn't feel real to me.

Nowadays, though, because I consider myself a hard polytheist, I do recognize Him to exist. I might not pray to Him or have a connection with Him as I do with my own Gods, but I believe that He's there.

Also, what you say about whether the faith of Christianity is true or not: How do we know anything is true, objectively speaking? Even physics might not be true as we know it now. It's my belief that there is no such thing as an objective truth, so to me, it's not a question of if something is true, but whether that truth is applicable to me.

It's just something to think about. Wink

Something to think about indeed! I'll be thinking about that for years, I imagine. Wink

You have some really good points - as with what NibbleKat wrote about the same thing, your statement that you still believe in the Judeo-Christian God, but just don't necessarily connect with him personally, really resonated with me. I think that's a lot of what I'm having to look at - self examination has revealed that I am a hard polytheist deep down, and the big question now is whether it's time to move away from the God I've worshipped for the past four years, or whether that bond that was a little tenuous to begin with can still be salvaged with pagan beliefs behind it. Needless to say I have a lot of research and soul-searching ahead of me. Tongue This is all pretty abrupt for me, too, but I think it's been building for quite a while and it's just now that I'm ready (more or less) to face it.

Thanks so much for your input Cheesy
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 06, 2010, 12:02:06 am »

Something to think about indeed! I'll be thinking about that for years, I imagine. Wink

You have some really good points - as with what NibbleKat wrote about the same thing, your statement that you still believe in the Judeo-Christian God, but just don't necessarily connect with him personally, really resonated with me. I think that's a lot of what I'm having to look at - self examination has revealed that I am a hard polytheist deep down, and the big question now is whether it's time to move away from the God I've worshipped for the past four years, or whether that bond that was a little tenuous to begin with can still be salvaged with pagan beliefs behind it. Needless to say I have a lot of research and soul-searching ahead of me. Tongue This is all pretty abrupt for me, too, but I think it's been building for quite a while and it's just now that I'm ready (more or less) to face it.

Thanks so much for your input Cheesy

When I wondered about a possible connection with one of my Patrons, I was told simply to ask Her. It might seem a little strange, but try it anyway. Ask God if He's still the one for you, and who knows? He might answer in His own way.

Either way, good luck on the search! I hope you find what you're looking for.

desertsong
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

desertsong_

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 06, 2010, 12:09:56 am »

When I wondered about a possible connection with one of my Patrons, I was told simply to ask Her. It might seem a little strange, but try it anyway. Ask God if He's still the one for you, and who knows? He might answer in His own way.

Either way, good luck on the search! I hope you find what you're looking for.

Actually, that seems pretty sensible. I may just give it a try. My fear, of course, is that my answer is going to run along the lines of "You're wrong to even consider any of this" - but that doesn't mesh with the more liberal view of God that I've tended to embrace. Tongue
RedLori
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 12:08:16 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Learner Eclectic Witch
TCN ID: redlori

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 06, 2010, 09:18:05 am »

hi desertsong... Smiley  
I still believe in the 'Christian god'... I guess I just feel like more gods/goddesses exist, but that doesn't mean I can't believe in that god any more.  Smiley
as far as I know, Christianity (at least some branches) acknowleges the existence of other spiritual beings but they are not defined as gods/goddesses (as part of the faith is that the Christian god is 'top god' if you like...) but maybe it's more a difference of terminology and what different cultures/religions think of as a 'god'?  Huh  (just my 2 cents!)

(formerly ladykarina)
desertsong
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

desertsong_

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 06, 2010, 11:30:04 am »

hi desertsong... Smiley  
I still believe in the 'Christian god'... I guess I just feel like more gods/goddesses exist, but that doesn't mean I can't believe in that god any more.  Smiley
as far as I know, Christianity (at least some branches) acknowleges the existence of other spiritual beings but they are not defined as gods/goddesses (as part of the faith is that the Christian god is 'top god' if you like...) but maybe it's more a difference of terminology and what different cultures/religions think of as a 'god'?  Huh  (just my 2 cents!)

Yeah, I believe you're right - critics of Catholicism, for example, tend to focus on how Catholics pray to saints, though Catholics themselves certainly don't think of the saints as gods/goddesses (at least not the Catholics I know). And there are references to other gods sprinkled liberally throughout the Old Testament, up to and including the commandment "you shall have no other gods before me", which acknowledges that there are in fact other gods, at least in the cultures and beliefs of the time. It's funny, because when you think of it that way, polytheistic Christianity seems almost standard, whereas if you even brought something like this up in most modern-day churches, it'd be the equivalent of heresy... but I'm rambling and not really hitting the point. Wink

Since reading, thinking about and replying to the posts on this thread, I've come to realize that yes, I am a hard polytheist, and maybe always have been. It's a good thing to know. Tongue

Thanks for sharing your 2 cents, and I hope you don't mind getting my 4 in return! Cheesy
Ronja
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 12, 2010, 02:48:27 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Christian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 09, 2010, 02:25:54 am »

Hey all,

I'm a Christian, and I've been interested in Paganism for several months now, despite not wanting to give up my Christian beliefs.  Here are some things that I've picked up along the way:
1) Belief in nature spirits.  Sort of.  I believe there's a "godspark" in each part of God's creation, basically.
2) Keeping an altar.  This is pretty easy, as many Catholic and Orthodox Christians have been doing this for a long time.  Just search the internet for ideas that will work for you.
3) Energy work.  I don't see any reason this is contradictory with Christian beliefs.  I haven't spent too much time with this, so I'm no good at it. Smiley
4) Using all sorts of tangible symbols, candles, and other actions in prayer.  I like the idea that I can "leave my prayers" on my altar.  That way I'm not obsessing over them 24/7.  I've expressed myself to God, he remembers, and I only need to bring things up once a day or so.

Finally, about hell.  You should check out this pastor's blog posts about hell, especially his video study (4 videos).  It's a really honest look at what the Bible, particularly the New Testament, actually says about hell.  And more importantly, what it doesn't.  I found this man to speak good sense and research, and he concludes that hell isn't nearly as important as many Christians make it out to be.
http://www.reallivepreacher.com/taxonomy/term/183
sanctuary
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2011, 11:23:23 am

Religion: Taoist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 09, 2010, 02:25:33 pm »

IMHO this is great advice...there is no need to rush into anything. I have spent years researching various religions and belief systems in an attempt to find the 'perfect fit' only to find that, for me, there isn't one. However, taking the time to examine the beliefs of others enabled me to realize what it was that I needed in a religion. Once I figured that out I was able to build and fine tune a belief system that works for me...one that I'm extremely comfortable with. The trick is, I think, not to worry so much about finding that perfect fit...stick to what you know in your heart to be true and build on that. The best thing about my particular journey is that although I may not have found what I was looking for in the numerous religions that I studied I gained a new perspective (and a new appreciation) of the beliefs of others. Good luck! Grin

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”  Lao Tzu

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)