The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 28, 2020, 11:22:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2020, 11:22:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Have you been owned?  (Read 20754 times)
DeCarabas
Apprentice
Last Login:June 18, 2010, 12:07:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic/Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 07, 2010, 04:45:18 pm »

I've heard several Cauldronites say that they "belong" to their Gods. 

Is this true for you? 

If so, what does that mean, in terms of how you interact with your God(s)?

It seems like some folks accept that kind of relationship and others would run screaming in the other direction.
I'm sure there are some people who have tried to run screaming in the other direction and ended up getting "owned" anyway.   Tongue

Insights? Personal experiences?  Chocolate sprinkles?  I'm up for anything tonight.

I'm owned, but my experience of being owned probably isn't the kind of relationship you'd think - I have almost no relationship with the goddess who owns me.  She doesn't seem to care whether I worship her or not.  She's not the first god I'd go to for help.  She hasn't put any restrictions on me that I'm aware of.  The general impression I get from her is that I'm doing her work just by going about my daily life - there's barely any interaction between us because most of the time, there's no need for it.  I wouldn't know how to go about running in the opposite direction even if I wanted to - and I have thought about it from time to time, just because the idea of being owned is irritating, even though in practice it hasn't been any imposition on me.  But trying to run from that makes about as much sense as my hammer deciding not to be a hammer anymore.

With the gods that I do have active relationships with, there are some that I would say I belong to in some sense, but much like everyone else in this thread has described, they don't own me.  It's different.  With Odin, Wepwawet and Khonsu, it was more like meeting extended family: there was already a connection there whether or not you were aware of it, and it's up to you whether you want to build on that relationship or not.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: May 07, 2010, 04:46:22 pm »

Is this true for you? 

The Gods don't own me.  They rent.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 07, 2010, 04:51:47 pm »

That word to me means that I am not free to do what I want. Has Apollo "thwapped" me? Yes, but it doesn't mean I lost my free will.

Ditto on that.

I don't think Wesir would *want* a relationship with me if I didn't choose to have that relationship.  Love and devotion don't mean much if the devotee doesn't have much choice in the matter. 

More thoughts later...
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #18: May 07, 2010, 06:23:03 pm »

The Gods don't own me.  They rent.

That is a wonderful way to put it.  My loyalty may be a given, but my service is negotiated for.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: May 07, 2010, 06:24:32 pm »

Mmm.  I have an explicit d/s commitment with Big Red, which can be expressed as ownership.  The stuff I'd be willing to talk about basically goes down to:

I'm of the "We are the hands of the gods in the material world" school.  In my case, and regarding Neb.y, that is more literal than figurative.

So it goes.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: May 07, 2010, 07:04:09 pm »

That is a wonderful way to put it.  My loyalty may be a given, but my service is negotiated for.

Actually, that was me being snarky but what you said works for me Cheesy

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Nehet
Adept Member

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 07, 2010, 07:52:19 pm »

OK, I'm seeing this thread ended up on the front page.  What's funny is that in my original post I put a  Tongue face.  Instead of the  Tongue face it just says "tongue".  LOL.  I'm wondering what people are going to think about the word "tongue" just randomly being in the middle of the post where it doesn't make sense.
Nehet
Adept Member

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 07, 2010, 08:01:30 pm »

I had to put this in:

http://netjeru.comicgenesis.com/d/20070815.html

When I started this thread I couldn't help thinking of this comic.
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #23: May 07, 2010, 09:26:02 pm »

Is this true for you? 

It seems like some folks accept that kind of relationship and others would run screaming in the other direction.
I'm sure there are some people who have tried to run screaming in the other direction and ended up getting "owned" anyway.   Tongue

I'm not sure exactly how I'd qualify my relationship with my Gods.

See, They don't usually give me specific instructions (unless I have something that they want offered), unless I ask for help, but I get the sense that if They asked something of me, I'd probably need to do it.  It's more like a friendly relationship with a boss.  They can instruct me to do stuff, but I can only ask for things done for me in return.  Doesn't mean it's controlling or detrimental to me, though.

But sometimes I do get the feeling that I'm a little more like property...f'ex, I had a relationship problem that was really bothering me, and Manannan eventually got sick of my whining and got Aenghus to step in for a week to fix it.  It was kind of a cross between lending Aenghus to me and lending me to Aenghus.  So sometimes, I feel like I'm "owned" by the Gods, but it's not a bad feeling.

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
wynterelf86
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 12, 2010, 01:12:19 pm

Religion: hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: May 07, 2010, 10:29:58 pm »

Ditto on that.

I don't think Wesir would *want* a relationship with me if I didn't choose to have that relationship.  Love and devotion don't mean much if the devotee doesn't have much choice in the matter. 

More thoughts later...

Yeah any god that "demands" your worship...is not much of a god to me XP
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: May 07, 2010, 11:36:26 pm »

I belong to him in a similar sort of way as I belong to my husband (though hubby, of course, belongs to me too in the same amount so there).  It's a relationship that had a certain amount of obligation and assumption attached to it - it's not being property, but there is a sense of obligation there.

This is very close to how I perceive my relationship with Brighid.  I consider myself Hers, but not as a piece of property.  More like a *commitment*.

I've promised myself to Her, without coercion or anything like that, and I haven't run across a situation in which I wouldn't do what She asks of me.  Yet.  Tongue  But I *could* refuse, if I needed to.  I don't foresee that happening, though, because I don't think She'll ask me to do something that can't, whether for physical reasons or ethical.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
valentine
Last Login:May 13, 2010, 09:32:09 pm

Religion: Hedge Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: May 08, 2010, 09:52:09 pm »

Is this true for you? 

Insights? Personal experiences?  Chocolate sprinkles?  I'm up for anything tonight.

I hope I do this right-I've never posted in a discussion group before. 

I think I belong to my diety because, to quote Chief Seatle (I think) "The earth does not belong to us, we belong to the earth."

I am totally hers.  She has had my complete and total devotion since I was 12-for 45 years now.  I grew up on a farm and she has been guiding me, holding me, comforting me, chastizing me, empowering me, since the moment I first felt the her life blood flowing in to me. 

And, yes, I always get the chocolate sprinkles!  Who but a goddess could come up with chocolate?

Cannaid
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 22, 2013, 09:32:37 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: May 10, 2010, 09:43:16 am »

Absent

I love, love, love this.  Thanks for sharing. 

Kindness first and in all things...
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #28: May 11, 2010, 10:20:22 pm »

Is this true for you? 

I remember having said that I am Bast's, but I don't think of it as ownership because I still have free will and don't have to honor her.  However she had waited for me for many years- through all my phases, including my atheist phase, in the sense that she kept reminding me that I knew there was something else that I didn't quite realize was there.  What was there was her.  She let me know that she claimed me from the beginning and was waiting patiently for me to realize that.  As far as the relationship goes, sometimes she asks for things, but often doesn't.  Sometimes I offer her things, even if she doesn't ask for them, sometimes I don't.  I rarely ask for anything, but when I truly needed it, she was there for me, and that made all the difference.  I think in the end her constant presence is enough for me to think she truly did claim me as hers in the sense that she takes on all responsibilities that comes with claiming a human as her own, including providing for me in times of need while I reciprocate accordingly. 

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #29: May 12, 2010, 04:48:51 am »

No, I have never been 'owned'. I have a Patron, which in my case is like having a family member that is always there, is incredibly powerful, and that I work with and love very much, but I have never felt like I am owned.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)