The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 08, 2020, 11:11:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 08, 2020, 11:11:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Book Recommendations on Science for the not Scientifically Inclined?  (Read 6018 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 07, 2010, 03:35:42 pm »

Let me first say that I am terrible at science. Really, really terrible. Science and I have never gotten along.

I am trying to build a scientifically plausible world for my multiple series of novels to take place on. The series span about 5,000 years of history and take place all over the world, so I need to understand ocean tides and earthquakes and weather patterns and such. I don't have a clue where to start.

So if you could recommend any books or websites that someone who knows nothing about science could understand that will help me, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks!!

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #1: May 07, 2010, 04:24:10 pm »

We've got two books lying around here that could apply - Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything and The Science of Discworld by Pratchett, Stewart and Cohen. Both are written to entertain and are thus easy reads with pretty decent introductions into science, but both also take the occasional shortcut that may not be quite technically correct.

--Chabas
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 07, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »

I am trying to build a scientifically plausible world for my multiple series of novels to take place on. The series span about 5,000 years of history and take place all over the world, so I need to understand ocean tides and earthquakes and weather patterns and such. I don't have a clue where to start.

Here is a list of online materials (and books) on SF/F worldbuilding:

http://www.specficworld.com/resources/world.aspx

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 07, 2010, 10:15:27 pm »

Let me first say that I am terrible at science. Really, really terrible. Science and I have never gotten along.

So if you could recommend any books or websites that someone who knows nothing about science could understand that will help me, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks!!

Well, people may hate me for linking to the Black Hole of the Internet, but if you read through the Hollywood Science index on TV Tropes, you'll come up with a lot of mistakes that authors often make, and sometimes ways to avoid them.  They're all written by nerds, so I trust most of the information on there, but double-checking is recommended.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodScience

But that's only in relation to works of fiction and fantasy, so there's probably better info out there.  I just find TV Tropes a good place to start off from.

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: May 07, 2010, 10:36:48 pm »

I just find TV Tropes a good place to start off from.

Except for the 'blink and your whole day has disappeared' factor, that site is great.  Somebody who wanted a crash course in western culture could just pick a page and start reading.  After all, those tropes wouldn't work the way they do if they didn't reflect 'us' and our variants of human nature.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 07, 2010, 10:39:12 pm »

Except for the 'blink and your whole day has disappeared' factor, that site is great.

That should be a site disclaimer, because it's so true. TV Tropes has sucked up countless hours of my life.

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 10, 2010, 03:40:46 am »

Not geared towards worldbuilding but a good read anyway: The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science by Natalia Angier. She writes for the New Yorker, so it's very accessible.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 10, 2010, 01:31:42 pm »

Here is a list of online materials (and books) on SF/F worldbuilding:

http://www.specficworld.com/resources/world.aspx

Whoa. A world-building resource site I haven't seen yet. That alone is pretty amazing. Thanks for the link, Randall!

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 10, 2010, 01:44:46 pm »

Thanks for the links and recommendations, everyone! Smiley

alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 10, 2010, 06:33:36 pm »

Ironically, I would recommend Earth Science (textbook) by Edward J. Tarbuck. It's filled with all sorts of basic info on plate tectonics, different types of rocks, some oceanography, and they even found a way to throw in some astronomy. It's a book usually recommended for intro Earth Science classes, but from experience I can say it's readable. You can do a search for that on Amazon and it will show up on the first page, if not at the top.

I took an Earth Science class for the same reason as you started this thread (well, that and they made me take a science course anyway). Hopefully you'll end up enjoying this book (if you choose to check it out), but even if you read through it and don't like it, you'd still be able to take something worthwhile out of it.

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 10, 2010, 08:24:17 pm »

Ooh, thanks! The reviews look great. Smiley Being under $10 is nice, too!

alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 11, 2010, 06:31:11 pm »

Ooh, thanks! The reviews look great. Smiley Being under $10 is nice, too!

If you're lucky, it may still come with the "lab book", and you could do little experiments with each different field if you so desired. That way, you'll be able to tell all your friends about the differences between igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks the next time you're at a party.

The best part is this earth science book also teaches how to measure the surface of the moon. In fact, that was the best lesson I learned in Earth Science class; that I would have done better in an astronomy class!   Tongue

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 28, 2010, 11:47:46 am »

No books or websites really, but perhaps a science museum is a place to visit some time? You know, the ones aimed at kids, with all kinds of stuff to see and try and do and lots of interactive video displays. They usually cover things like tidal motion, vulcanic eruptions, magnetism, electricity, various types of biology, the working of your senses, small psychological experiments etc. Also different mechanical inventions. Seeing it is different from just reading about it. And if you'd feel weird going alone, borrow some neighbouring kid and take him/her along. Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)