The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 01:16:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 01:16:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Worshiping Gods as Family Patrons  (Read 5072 times)
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm
United States United States

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 11, 2010, 12:07:13 am »

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section.

For those of you whose family members also worship Gods, do you have a family or household Patron? Perhaps He or She is a deity not necessarily connected with any particular individual but honored by all members? The idea suddenly popped into my head and I've been wondering if Gods are worshiped in such a way anymore, and if so, how families go about worshiping them.

Any experience or ideas would be appreciated. Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 11, 2010, 12:15:42 am »

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section.

For those of you whose family members also worship Gods, do you have a family or household Patron? Perhaps He or She is a deity not necessarily connected with any particular individual but honored by all members? The idea suddenly popped into my head and I've been wondering if Gods are worshiped in such a way anymore, and if so, how families go about worshiping them.

I can't speak from experience as my family are either Catholic or Atheist, but I don't see why you can't have a family Patron. I believe that my Patron has an interest in looking after my family because they are just that-my family. I worship Him, work with Him and love Him a great deal, and He is well aware of just how much my family mean to me and how they are important to my health and happiness. There is always a chance that someone may decide to follow Him in the future (my 8 year old daughter already shows a great deal of interest in learning about Him) so we may indeed worship Him together at some point. You just never know (he probably does, but that isn't the point, is it?  Wink ).

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Firaza
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 11, 2010, 01:02:40 am »

I believe that my Patron has an interest in looking after my family because they are just that-my family.

This is the kind of vibe I'm getting, though oddly enough, it's not from one of my own Patrons but from a Goddess that my fiancé has had (is having?) interactions with. Neither of us have a relationship with Her, but I can't help the strong feeling that She is important to the both of us.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 11, 2010, 07:00:11 am »

I believe that my Patron has an interest in looking after my family because they are just that-my family.

Yes, this.

I'm the only active worshiper of Brighid or any other non-JCI god in my house.  (My parents live with us and are committed Christians.)  However, it's quite clear that Brighid is a presence in the lives of my husband and daughters, even though they don't "worship" Her, at least that I know of.  She has instructed me to give each of them a Brighid's cross necklace and ask them to wear or carry it for protection.  All three do.  My husband and younger daughter wear theirs all the time, and my older daughter carries it with her when she's not wearing it.

So, I do think Brighid watches over my family.  I'm not sure, though, if that's because they're my family or because She has plans for them in the future and is laying a foundation now.  Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Firaza
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 11, 2010, 12:05:55 pm »

I'm the only active worshiper of Brighid or any other non-JCI god in my house.  (My parents live with us and are committed Christians.)  However, it's quite clear that Brighid is a presence in the lives of my husband and daughters, even though they don't "worship" Her, at least that I know of.  She has instructed me to give each of them a Brighid's cross necklace and ask them to wear or carry it for protection.  All three do.  My husband and younger daughter wear theirs all the time, and my older daughter carries it with her when she's not wearing it.

That's so cool! Smiley Regardless if She has plans or not, it seems like something well within Brighid's domain.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 11, 2010, 12:10:44 pm »

That's so cool! Smiley

Yep.  As I've told my family, "You might not believe in Brighid, but She believes in you."   Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: May 11, 2010, 12:13:41 pm »

I have a house shrine, basically set up for somewhat similar purposes; it honors Brighid and Bast primarily.  (Taweret secondarily, and will also have Bes when I am done with His props.)

Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping up with specific stuff in a while, and my fountain pump broke. Sad

Firaza
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 11, 2010, 01:06:24 pm »

I have a house shrine, basically set up for somewhat similar purposes; it honors Brighid and Bast primarily.  (Taweret secondarily, and will also have Bes when I am done with His props.)

Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping up with specific stuff in a while, and my fountain pump broke. Sad

I was actually considering setting up a house shrine for Taweret and Bes closer to when I intend to have children, so it's good to know that my "house Patron(s)" idea isn't unusual!

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 11, 2010, 01:08:59 pm »

I was actually considering setting up a house shrine for Taweret and Bes closer to when I intend to have children, so it's good to know that my "house Patron(s)" idea isn't unusual!

Yeah, the blue hippo statue wound up there when I got pregnant. Wink

disirdottir
Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2011, 08:50:41 pm

Religion: Mystic Reconstructionist Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 04, 2011, 05:23:01 pm »

Hello,

Pardon if this is out of turn; I've read the rules, but haven't seen any position on reviving long-quiet threads, either positive or negative.

My "household" actually does have two patrons. My husband and I both felt that the Irish deities of love, Aenghus macOg and Caer Ibormeith, were involved in the start of our relationship, in at least a supporting role. *grin* My husband has since decided that he is atheist, but he is open to my continuing to work with Them as relates to our relationship, using Their symbology (swans in particular) in our wedding and household decorations and such. (They told me he was still an excellent match for me, whatever he might think of Them.)

"Household" is a term that lets my husband not feel like he's being dragged into observing something that goes against his current perspective, but which allows me to feel that it encompasses our communal life together.

I maintain a relationship with Them, but it isn't a very intensive or frequent contact one, just an offering and mention when appropriate. (For example, I hosted Samhain at my house last year; I insisted we give the first libation to Aenghus and Caer, as they were hosting as much as the humans were.)

Regards,
-- disirdottir.
Firaza
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 04, 2011, 07:47:40 pm »

I maintain a relationship with Them, but it isn't a very intensive or frequent contact one, just an offering and mention when appropriate. (For example, I hosted Samhain at my house last year; I insisted we give the first libation to Aenghus and Caer, as they were hosting as much as the humans were.)

Thank you for that perspective; I hadn't thought of doing anything like that.

As it stands, I have since separated from my ex-fiancé, so this isn't a pressing matter anymore. It's still something I'd like to think about if I end up getting married, especially since my current significant other is an atheist.

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 04, 2011, 07:56:11 pm »

Even though Sekhmet is my primary deity, I consider her more of a family protector than just simply my patroness. My son helps me to wake her in the morning and speaks to her statue on a regular basis. My Hubby has actually assisted me with offerings when I forgot to remove them from her shrine. So, she's kind of a family entity than just simply "mine".

In regards to familial offerings in her name, there isn't much that I can think of. Or, honestly, how an entire family would recognize and worship one patron for the family... I have always wanted to have a lion's head mounted above my front door to protect the home from intruders. I don't know if that helps you, at all, but that's what I got. (And I'm sorry this sounds so rambly. I've been having a hard time concentrating lately.)

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: April 05, 2011, 07:41:38 am »

Hello,

Pardon if this is out of turn; I've read the rules, but haven't seen any position on reviving long-quiet threads, either positive or negative.

We have no problem with thread necromancy, as long as you realize the original posters might not be there or have changed their opinion on the subject in the meantime. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #13: April 05, 2011, 10:58:18 am »

We have no problem with thread necromancy, as long as you realize the original posters might not be there or have changed their opinion on the subject in the meantime. Smiley

In addition to what Shadow's said here:  If you're ever not sure about whether it's OK to do something, please ask rather than just posting and hoping foe the best.  Saves a lot of time and aggravation all around, if what you want to do turns out not to be OK.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
disirdottir
Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2011, 08:50:41 pm

Religion: Mystic Reconstructionist Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 05, 2011, 12:33:41 pm »

In addition to what Shadow's said here:  If you're ever not sure about whether it's OK to do something, please ask rather than just posting and hoping foe the best.  Saves a lot of time and aggravation all around, if what you want to do turns out not to be OK.  Wink

Fair enough, I will operate on that basis in the future!

-- disirdottir.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)