The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 01:57:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 01:57:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Arizona and Immigration  (Read 15988 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: May 14, 2010, 10:43:34 am »

Sorry for the delay in response- I had responded yesterday, but it would seem that it didn't go through... hmms.
I would like to know what the difference is btwn Fed Agents/ICE/Border Patrol as opposed to local PD? Are they somehow more "qualified" to ask if you're a citizen? I honestly see no difference btwn one or the other- they all uphold the law in one shape or another.

It's a federal issue. That's a big part of the problem. Part of the whole United States thing...some things belong in the hands of federal oversight (and no, I'm not interested in having a discussion on whether the federal government has walked away from this issue...I think they have, but that's a different discussion).

It is my understanding that police officers don't HAVE to ask, it is there own decision when, where and if they want to ask. For me, as stated above, I don't distinguish btwn different law enforcement branches- ICE asking is the same as local PD asking.

No. Actually it's not. Your local police force is there for a different reason. Again, that's a big part of the problem with this bill.

Ironically, when they have the mandatory stops, you're asked not only by ICE, but by local law- usually each standing on each side of the car. Doesn't bother me at all, it's a legitemate question. As for the issue of it being a right- it's not a right to be able to say you're a citizen, and leaving it at that. I'd rather carry around another form of i.d. to prove I'm a citizen, than to have illegal immigration running rampant.

Not to be a smartass, but bully for you. Right before this law was passed in Arizona, there was a trucker who ended up in jail because his driver's license and SS number weren't enough ID. He was brown, so apparently he was expected to carry his birth certificate with him. Sorry, but people shouldn't be expected to cart around their birth certificate to satisfy some cop's curiosity.

The risk I was referring to was the risk of PD abusing the asking about citizen status. I feel it's a necessary risk to try and get our illegal immigration issues under control. We can't just do nothing.

So Arizona citizens are comfortable turning the state into a police state? I'm glad you're comfortable with the "Papers please." mentality, but a whole lot of people see the civil rights problems this law creates.

Frankly the only good thing I can see coming out of it is it may possibly force the US government to address its responsibility w/r/t immigration.

Whose freedom am I giving up?
Anyone who has an issue with a) the constitutionality of this law, b) living in a police state. And anyone who doesn't agree with what Arizona has done (and probably some who do if they knew the full extent of that bill.)

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #31: May 14, 2010, 10:52:26 am »

Who was it that said something to the tune of "Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither"?

That would be dear old Ben Franklin.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: May 14, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

That would be dear old Ben Franklin.

I love that man.

He'd be on my shortlist of invitees to my "Famous Dead People Dinner."

K2Fan
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 31, 2010, 02:55:43 am

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: May 14, 2010, 11:35:30 am »

It's a federal issue. That's a big part of the problem. Part of the whole United States thing...some things belong in the hands of federal oversight (and no, I'm not interested in having a discussion on whether the federal government has walked away from this issue...I think they have, but that's a different discussion).

No. Actually it's not. Your local police force is there for a different reason. Again, that's a big part of the problem with this bill.

Not to be a smartass, but bully for you. Right before this law was passed in Arizona, there was a trucker who ended up in jail because his driver's license and SS number weren't enough ID. He was brown, so apparently he was expected to carry his birth certificate with him. Sorry, but people shouldn't be expected to cart around their birth certificate to satisfy some cop's curiosity.

So Arizona citizens are comfortable turning the state into a police state? I'm glad you're comfortable with the "Papers please." mentality, but a whole lot of people see the civil rights problems this law creates.

Frankly the only good thing I can see coming out of it is it may possibly force the US government to address its responsibility w/r/t immigration.
 Anyone who has an issue with a) the constitutionality of this law, b) living in a police state. And anyone who doesn't agree with what Arizona has done (and probably some who do if they knew the full extent of that bill.)

You pretty much said everything that I was thinking.  Except much more to-the-point then I would have.

† you are my other self. if i hate you, i hate myself. if i love you, i love myself †
"when we're in this classroom and we talk about loving each other!  well...that, They just can't understand."
♪QUE◦Z◦TAL♫
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: May 14, 2010, 12:57:00 pm »

I'm glad you're comfortable with the "Papers please." mentality, but a whole lot of people see the civil rights problems this law creates.

It's not even a question of rights for me (though that's also important). Some people are inclined to trust governments. I'm not, no matter how benign the particular administration in question. This is one of the things I love about the US. A healthy distrust of the government is enshrined in the constitution. In the UK we just tend to look at government as inherently inept (though there is a healthy touch of distrust mixed in with that), and here in Egypt folks seem to think the government is there to solve all their problems (oh, the irony...).

No, I'm not a paranoid conspiracy theorist. I just don't think governments are immune from the human condition of being susceptible to misusing power. Heck, by virtue of the simple fact governments have so much power, I tend to view them as more susceptible. And being able to demand someone's papers without a very good reason? That's power, and easily misused power at that. Think Rwanda (Tutsi/Hutu ID cards were used to sort people for massacre), Nazi Germany ("J" ID cards predated the yellow star and could be demanded without reason), etc. Though the former was misuse by citizens, not the government, it still illustrates the power of the concept. I'm not interested in handing over that kind of power...

So yes, I guess this really boils down to rights. What I'm trying to say is that it's not just some abstract concept - "rights" - it's a very material transfer of power without my consent.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: May 14, 2010, 05:18:23 pm »

EXACTLY. The federal government is responsible for immigration issues, not the state government.

And even ONE person being treated like this is too many.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: May 14, 2010, 05:32:49 pm »

(snip)

Yep, those nasty Federal ICE agents put that man thru so much hassle.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: May 14, 2010, 05:53:14 pm »

Ihre papiere bitte?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: May 14, 2010, 06:00:25 pm »

Ihre papiere bitte?

Been there, done that. Also been asked in England, Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Russia, Japan, Norway, whatever country Amsterdam is in.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: May 14, 2010, 06:05:13 pm »

Been there, done that. Also been asked in England, Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Russia, Japan, Norway, whatever country Amsterdam is in.

The Netherlands

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: May 14, 2010, 08:21:19 pm »

Yeah, as a matter of fact they did. And that's incredibly wrong.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: May 14, 2010, 08:22:31 pm »

Which really is immaterial since they aren't part of the US.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: May 14, 2010, 10:00:07 pm »

Yeah, as a matter of fact they did. And that's incredibly wrong.

And hopefully more info will come out about the story. Such as what was the reason that his CDL wasn't acceptable proof of his citizenship status (wouldn't matter if he's a citizen or is here legally); did ICE overstep their own rules (sounds like they did, but I don't thing we are getting the full story); etc
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: May 15, 2010, 03:45:23 am »

i make no claims to being an expert in UK law (or the law of any other country for that matter), but I'm pretty sure that shouldn't have happened in England, Scotland, or Northern Ireland. We've had the national ID card battle that was intended to curb immigration by utilizing ID cards with one's immigration/citizen status on them. They were never fully implemented and, to all intents and purposes, the "papers please" crowd lost, at least for the time being.

Please, any of the other Brits on here who know more about this than I do, correct me if I've got something wrong here or if I'm ignoring some aspect of UK law that would let the police demand papers without good reason.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: May 15, 2010, 09:34:13 am »

And hopefully more info will come out about the story. Such as what was the reason that his CDL wasn't acceptable proof of his citizenship status (wouldn't matter if he's a citizen or is here legally); did ICE overstep their own rules (sounds like they did, but I don't thing we are getting the full story); etc

At this point in the narrative, I don't think there's much choice but to assume harassment due to his color. And yes, I'm coming firmly down on the driver's side, but I do that because I have serious fears and problems with an agency or governmental employee harassing someone who is here legally or is a citizen. Too much room for abuse from zealous people.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)