The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 02, 2021, 08:57:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 02, 2021, 08:57:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Creating Your Own Spreads?  (Read 5435 times)
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 13, 2010, 08:55:13 pm »

Does anyone here create their own spreads for Tarot Cards (or really any divination tool of that nature)?  If so, how did create the spread?  What made you decide to do it?  Are you willing to share with us?

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 14, 2010, 04:56:19 am »

I do when non of the spreads I already know seems to fit. Usually I phrase the question and break it down into several aspects.

Example: What are my abilities?

Card 1: Ability which is very important at the moment
Card 2: Ability which I can always count on
Card 3: Ability which I will get to know in the future
Card 4: Ability I draw great joy from
Card 5: Ability I deny myself and/or others deny me

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 14, 2010, 01:49:52 pm »

Does anyone here create their own spreads for Tarot Cards (or really any divination tool of that nature)?  If so, how did create the spread?  What made you decide to do it?  Are you willing to share with us?

Yes, I sometimes create them. It's not usually something that I plan beforehand, a spread just comes to my mind and I have to write it down, or I'm reading for someone and the spread just "happens". Example in NibbleKat's Div-Ex thread. Smiley

A couple of weeks ago I went to a friend's house and she asked me to do a reading for her. The spread I used came out in that moment, and it seemed to fit exactly what she wanted to know. To me it was just a pyramid, 3 cards on the base, 2 over them and 1 on top of all. I had seen this layout before, so I didn't think I was creating anything, but then, the position of the cards were very significant for her, and not in the way I usually read this spread. So, that also happens, an already existing spread changes to suit the situation, creating new meanings for the cards.

Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 16, 2010, 12:35:10 am »

This one probably already exists out there, but I've never seen it, so for this case, I pin it as mine.

I kind've adapted the Celtic Tree spread to fit four cards. There's a "base" of one card, which represents the self. Then three cards above the base that are from left to right: past, present, future.

I've always gotten really clear readings with that particular spread.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 17, 2010, 01:09:28 am »

I kind've adapted the Celtic Tree spread to fit four cards.

What kind of cards do you use that spread with?  Tarot, oracle, Lenormand, etc.?

Just wondering because it looks like it would be particularly good with Lenormands.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 17, 2010, 01:21:41 pm »

Then three cards above the base that are from left to right: past, present, future.

For some unknown reason, I read past, present and future from right to left.

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 27, 2010, 11:42:30 pm »

Two, off the top of my head.

ELEMENTS SPREAD (simple enough that I'm sure someone else has come up with it before, heh)

[Earth]

[Water]        [Spirit]        [Air]

[Fire]       

You draw five cards - generally I start with the middle card denoting spirit - which are each linked to an element. Generally, this spread gives you information on what sort of strengths or challenges you've got going for you right now. Earth would be health, wealth, and possessions; air would be education, transportation, and communication; fire would be working of your own volition, your own personal will; water is emotions and psychic abilities.

BIG OL' SPREAD OF DOOM AND GLOOM

This takes /forever/ for me to read, but I've found it's really thorough once all is said and done.

4 --- 5
1 --- 2 --- 3
   7 --- 8

The way you read this spread is on two axes. The first, going from 1 to 3, is from past to future. 1 represents things farthest in the past; 3 represents things farthest in the future. 2 is right now.

The second axis goes from 9 to 6. 9 is generally the "you" card. It's the one closest to your situation and tells you about yourself, right now. 2 is the general situation you find yourself in, and 6 is the overarching theme/god/whatever that's ruling over your reading.

So, it starts off with your basic three-card reading of past-present-future and builds from there. 7 links the "you" card to the past - how did past events in your situation directly affect you? - whereas 8 links you to a future outcome. 4 explains how past events were influenced by the primary power in your reading, whereas 5 suggests what possible outcomes may come from that power.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
AmberHeart
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 07:38:17 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Dianic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 30, 2010, 11:39:02 am »

Lunar Spread
Unless you are using Tarot with small cards, you tend to need a bit of space to lay this out. Or you can overlap the cards though it is a bit of a pain turning them over afterwards.

Start at the bottom left corner of the area and lay out four cards left to right in a row curving up at the end. These are the Waxing or The Maiden's Cards (depending on your belief system).

Then continuing from the last Maiden's card, lay four more cards curving up in a crescent. These are the Full or Mother's Cards.

From the last Mother's card, lay four more cards from right to left curving downward so the last card is a handspan above the first Maiden's Card. These are the Waning or Crone's Cards.

The final card, the 13th is laid inward from the last Crone's Card or placed in the center of what is a truncuated spiral. This is the Hinge Card.

NOTE: if you prefer moving Deosil (clockwise) rather than Widdershins (counter clockwise), start at the right hand corner. Another method is to start with the Hinge Card and lay out the cards moving Deosil.

There are several ways to read this spread.

The simplest is Maidens = how the issue (of the question) began or how it is growing, Mothers = the fullness of the issue including what is hidden and Crones = what needs to be banished or left behind or resolved. The Hinge Card is like the outcome card in a traditional Celtic spread but with the addition that if another spread is needed to clarify, this card becomes the first Maiden's Card.

Another method is Maidens= past, Mother's = present and Crone's = future with the Hinge Card again either as one final message or leading to the next spread.

One can also read each phase as interactive, as in the four Maiden's Cards are read as a single message that is interactive with each other and so on. These are then related to each other and to the Hinge Card.

I often read this spread as an illustrative myth with each card being a chapter in the story whose heart or quest is the starting question.

One can give specific meanings to each card position laid and I have in the past but over time, I've found the simplier or broader designations around M/M/C allow for the symbolic language of the cards to interact better with my intuition. Less chance of being distracted by trying to slot an interpretation of the card into a 'meaning' thus limiting one's initial intuition.

Amber

Unmutual
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 02, 2013, 10:12:32 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bokononism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 06, 2010, 11:00:37 am »

I tend to usually make things up as I go along, and for me the spreads the best bit. For example, last week I did a general reading on myself. Four cards - physical, emotional, mental and a spiritual/big underlying other/sum total/extra card. I should add that's not a spread I created, though I can't remember where I found it.

After I had toyed around with them for a bit, I added two more levels - one underneath with "results if left unchecked, worst case scenario", and one above for "positive acts I could be taking to keep the worst case scenario at bay" for each. A little later, I added a "best case scenario" at the top to see what I should be working towards. The resulting 16 card spread had some marvellous balances and contrasts - in most cases, the best and worst cases were pretty much identical, with a change of emphasis. It's now a spread I'm going to use more regularly.

I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't tamper with the cards after they are laid out, but having a spread adapt as I read it really works for me. Perhaps it matches my scattered mind.
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 06, 2010, 02:10:16 pm »

I created my own spread for general use because some of the classic ones like the Celtic Cross are too long for the kinds of people who ask me to do readings (It usually just happens to come up in conversation and they ask me out of passing interest and not any real belief and I don't get many chances to read for other people so I oblige) and the three card draws don't give enough depth in my opinion. The one I use is a modified Celtic Cross with six cards total.

-----6------
------------
3---2-1----5
------------
-----4------

1 is represents the person I'm reading for. Usually this card will be the suit corresponding to the element that the person connects most to or has the most traits in common with. If this card is numbered card, I rarely read too much into the number. On the rare occasion this card has turned up a major arcana card, it's been rather straight forward to read.

2 is laid crosswise over the 1 card and represents the problem the person is facing or something that has been on the person's mind a lot. If this card is from the major arcana, I usually interpret it as a person in whatever role the major arcana is and if it's a numbered or court card I usually interpret it as an internal problem and flaw the person might be wrestling with.

3 is your classic past card. What has lead the person to this point in time? What has lead to the person to be facing the problem that they are.

4 is your classic present card. How is the person currently feeling? What are they doing about the problem? Are they making it worse? Etc.

5 is your classic future card. This card tends to be the more immediate future. Will the person overcome their problem? What will happen if they don't?

6 is a card that tends to vary depending on who I'm reading it for. If the future card indicates that the person will soon overcome their problem, then this card usually will indicate what they will gain from it, though I've had this card indicate what the person's next problem will be once or twice. If the future card indicates the the problem will not be overcome in the near future this card usually will offer some advice as to what it will take.

I've had pretty good luck with this spread so long as I read it as a story and not as separate cards. The cards often don't make sense unless I relate them back to each other. They each help me uncover the meanings behind the other ones. This spread also is just big enough that it makes people feel like they've really had a reading (and therefore are less likely to ask keep asking for spreads as I've found happens with smaller spreads) yet small enough that I can read it fairly quickly (usually five minutes or less).
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: June 06, 2010, 04:23:12 pm »

I find myself really taken by this spread.  It is different from most of the ones in my common rotation and has a different focus/perspective that I think could benefit some of my clients.

Since you posted it in this spread I am assuming that you don't mind people like me going 'yoink!' with it.  Say now if you do. Cheesy

I would like to add it to my party list, with an uninformative title like 'The Unmu Spread'.  That will get questions and I will explain what it is for without explaining the title.  People like a little mystery with their revelation.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 07, 2010, 03:57:27 pm »

Thanks everyone for your great responses!

I'm thinking about doing some sort of past lives spread and was thinking about how to create the format, etc.  Now I've got some ideas Smiley

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Unmutual
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 02, 2013, 10:12:32 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bokononism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 11, 2010, 11:47:51 am »

I find myself really taken by this spread.  It is different from most of the ones in my common rotation and has a different focus/perspective that I think could benefit some of my clients.

Since you posted it in this spread I am assuming that you don't mind people like me going 'yoink!' with it.  Say now if you do. Cheesy

I would like to add it to my party list, with an uninformative title like 'The Unmu Spread'.  That will get questions and I will explain what it is for without explaining the title.  People like a little mystery with their revelation.

Absent

Please do use it - I hope both you and your clients do indeed find it useful. This is probably also a good time to thank you for your tarot blogs, which I have enjoyed reading and ruminating over Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)