The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 11:48:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 11:48:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Conflicting Afterlifes: Rewards or Punishments?  (Read 5049 times)
DeCarabas
Apprentice
Last Login:June 18, 2010, 12:07:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic/Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 20, 2010, 09:25:32 pm »

Do you think this guy would be punished in the afterlife (I know I know, I'm assuming there IS one here, that's a different discussion, don't mess with my topic), in the Norse Nastrond say, or would he be rewarded by his gods for his "good" deeds?

I'm not sure that it has to be one or the other.  The only reason there would be a conflict here would be if our - soul?  personality?  spirit?  ego?  whatever it is - leaves the body after our death, all in one piece, and goes somewhere that operates just like the physical world in the sense that people can only be in one location at once, and both of the specific visions of the afterlife described by these two religions exist and don't overlap, and our deeds and/or affiliations affect what happens to our soul after death.  Which could all be true; but if any of those assumptions are wrong, the conflict disappears.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hammercrash
Permanently Banned
Apprentice
Last Login:May 28, 2010, 11:46:20 am

Religion: Wotanism

The Hammer shall fly

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 21, 2010, 01:50:22 pm »

Well, first, I'm assuming that each people's pantheon is theirs, i.e. real to them but not to anyone else, because it sprang from their "folk-soul" if you will.  So I'm just saying, suppose you had B people, with somewhat insidious gods, and these people raided A people, with honorable gods who frowned on unnecessary deceit and lies.  Would this guy be punished?  That's the question I'm proposing.

Of course, you do get the problem of "what if a guy lived alone, and created his own personal pantheon?"  I would assume it has something to do with the Atmic dimension, i.e. after you die, people would say "you know, that afterlife you came up with - it's all yours, no one's there.  Come with us to where we live."  And then your gods would kind of melt into the gods of your people whom you never knew.

Maybe it's not about punishment at all... after all, as just a soul pattern, you can't literally be ripped apart by snakes and wolves... maybe that's a reference to having the "bad" parts of your soul ripped out, in preparation to go back to Asgard and live with civilized people.  Maybe then, a person committing such a crime would be being true to his own soul, but his afterlife, full of thieves and scoundrels, would seem like hell to an upstanding person.

-HC

What is and is not made of gods is a discussion entertained solely for speculative purposes and the captivation of intellectuals.  The Universe is my temple, and you are my sacrifice.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: May 21, 2010, 02:29:50 pm »

I believe in afterlife because of cycles.  Trees live, die, live again.  The seasons turn, but they always and surely return.  Day and night chase each other around all worlds.  People are born of people, die, their bodies rot, and fertilize the soil.  Water comes down from the sky, makes plants grow, goes up to the sky, comes down again.  Everything is a cycle, so why should it not apply to the soul?  Why should the soul stop existing upon the death of the body?  Why shouldn't you just experience another dimension of existence, life as it is without a body?  Besides, I do have a memory from before my birth, which leads me to believe that there is both an after-life and before-life, and that Baptism is actually a spell (my memory was Christianized).  I had this explained to me that it's a Thokkian Vortex - when your astral body gets sucked into the other realms by a kind of wormhole in the fabric of existence.  Don't you just love occult science? Smiley

-HC

1) If the soul doesn't exist, there is nothing to be recycled.

2) 'Occult science' sounds rather like pseudo-science.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: May 21, 2010, 05:17:52 pm »

Well, first, I'm assuming that each people's pantheon is theirs, i.e. real to them but not to anyone else, because it sprang from their "folk-soul" if you will.  So I'm just saying, suppose you had B people, with somewhat insidious gods, and these people raided A people, with honorable gods who frowned on unnecessary deceit and lies.  Would this guy be punished?  That's the question I'm proposing.

First of all, who is to say which gods are 'honorable' and which ones are 'insidious'?  Going by the various mythologies that I'm familier with, the nature of deities are similar to that of people -- all of them can be honorable or insidious at various times when it suits their own interest.

Second, 'honor' is an extremely nebulous concept that really can not be defined objectively by any means.  For example, to some dying for one's country is an honorable act while others think it is a foolish and senseless waste of life.

Of course, you do get the problem of "what if a guy lived alone, and created his own personal pantheon?"  I would assume it has something to do with the Atmic dimension, i.e. after you die, people would say "you know, that afterlife you came up with - it's all yours, no one's there.  Come with us to where we live."  And then your gods would kind of melt into the gods of your people whom you never knew.

And this is assuming that these gods were figments of this individual's imagination and not pre-existing gods that nudged hir.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: May 21, 2010, 05:18:29 pm »

1) If the soul doesn't exist, there is nothing to be recycled.

2) 'Occult science' sounds rather like pseudo-science.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love you?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 21, 2010, 08:48:55 pm »

Second, 'honor' is an extremely nebulous concept that really can not be defined objectively by any means.

And this is why I love you, Mel.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: May 22, 2010, 06:06:47 am »

Have I mentioned lately how much I love you?

No.  You're slacking. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.