The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 23, 2019, 03:01:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 03:01:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How Do You Worship?  (Read 5188 times)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 19, 2010, 04:25:47 pm »

I don't worship on a regular basis, although I pray all the time. The rituals that I do perform are fairly lax. I only do what feels comfortable to me, although this may change in the next few months. (I've been feeling the need for a big to-do from the gods lately.) I worship at various times, not always in conjunction with a festival or a feast day, and I never have an altar set up. There are candles, there are offerings, and there is a lot of laughter to be had when I finally do get down to it and have a big ole ritual that everyone [who understands] is invited to. Spells are cast, jokes are told, hymns are sung, and if I had a sistra, I'd probably jingle it now and again.

So, that's how I worship Sekhmet and the various other deities in the Egyptian pantheon that demand my attention. It's probably not "formal" in comparison to other Kemetic Recons' version of ritual, but it's what I can afford (monetarily and mentally) at the moment.

What do you do to acknowledge your deities?

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 19, 2010, 05:14:23 pm »

I don't worship on a regular basis, although I pray all the time. The rituals that I do perform are fairly lax. I only do what feels comfortable to me, although this may change in the next few months. (I've been feeling the need for a big to-do from the gods lately.) I worship at various times, not always in conjunction with a festival or a feast day, and I never have an altar set up. There are candles, there are offerings, and there is a lot of laughter to be had when I finally do get down to it and have a big ole ritual that everyone [who understands] is invited to. Spells are cast, jokes are told, hymns are sung, and if I had a sistra, I'd probably jingle it now and again.

So, that's how I worship Sekhmet and the various other deities in the Egyptian pantheon that demand my attention. It's probably not "formal" in comparison to other Kemetic Recons' version of ritual, but it's what I can afford (monetarily and mentally) at the moment.

Your form of worship sounds like mine.  I know that some folks differentiate between worship and prayer, but I don't, really.  It's all acknowledgement.  I don't do magic or spells mind, but I do offer up incense and candles, and often will give offerings of things I think they'd like.  Hermes gets sesame cakes and cinnamon sticks, and chocolate.  I am very informal with him.

Sirona, the goddess I would like worship, is so new to me that I don't know what she wants, so I'll get back to you on that.

I don't... ever... practice with others, though. My relationship is too personal with my deity to even come close to being comfortable with doing that. 

I do try a lot of meditation, to try and 'listen' to them, but that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I'm not so good at it. HAR.

And when I am driving? Yeah! That's someties worship in itself, because Hermes is the god of travel, so there's a sort of certain joy in some good drives that just brings out the connection with him even more.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 20, 2010, 01:53:40 am »

I recite devotions twice a day to Them, once after I wake and shower, and again right before I go to bed. Occasionally I try to leave them offerings, but I haven't done it enough to know what Brighid wants. (Meanwhile, Anpu has made it clear that He enjoys chocolate.) I also attempt to meditate at least once a week. I hardly do any elaborate rituals for Them, though I have a feeling I'll be writing and performing more when specific holidays come around.

Otherwise, I acknowledge my deities in my surroundings, and in everyday activities.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: May 20, 2010, 07:55:55 am »

Over the years it's become evident that I work best (religiously and otherwise) when I've got a great deal of structure to work within.  Room for improvisation and creativity, but set schedules and methods and rules and things.  Which has led me to a point where my worship is pretty formal for the most part.  To the point that I almost feel a little silly about it after reading the other responses, but--oh, well.  Cheesy

My response comes in a few different levels:

The least formal level is that sometimes I'll pour a libation or give an offering and say a prayer semi-spontaneously in response to something that happens in my life.  To Hermes when I make it home safe despite a particularly difficult commute (maybe with lots of ice or something), for example, or to Zeus during/following a particularly spectacular thunderstorm.  (Just as examples; there are lots of little things like this that might happen.)

Still informal in that I don't make a big deal of it, but moving up in formality in that it's planned and has a set form, would be daily...  devotions, I guess?  Libations and prayers to Hestia, to all the Gods collectively, to Apollo (as my patron), and anyone else who it would be appropriate to honor on a given day.  (That last is partly according to this and partly according to what's going on that day.  I might honor Athena as Goddess of Wisdom on the day my cousins are graduating high school, for example, or Aphrodite on Valentine's Day, or Ares on Veteran's Day, or etc.)  When I write it all out like that, it sounds like this big thing, but it only takes a few minutes at the beginning of the day, really.

Much more formal, full-on ritual:  Noumenia at the beginning of the lunar month.  And I'm trying to develop a calendar of annual festivals to celebrate, although that's a work in progress; they tend to involve full-on formal ritual as well.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 20, 2010, 05:10:08 pm »

I have a permanent altar set up. There will always be incense and candles at the full and new moons, as well as anytime I feel the call. And I do a full ritual circle 8 times a year, with or without the full coven, as well as every full moon. I thank them every meal, and during my thankfulness meditation every night.

Funny thing happened in my home recently though. I spent almost 2 months in India last year, and brought back several god and goddess figurines for myself as well as family and friends. A statue of Netraj was given to me by the folks I was teaching, and I acquired for myself statues of Ganesha, Kali and Hanuman. (I needed an extra suitcase to get home and nearly did not get in under the weight restrictions)

When I got home and went to place the statues around the house, like art, I very soon discovered that I had brought home with me connections to the gods my statues represented. Kali insisted that even if I refused to place her on my altar, she would require a place of honour, and regular candles and incense. Ganesha also insists that there must be balance, so every time she gets goodies, so does he.

Hanmuan and Netraj are happy on the bookcase, and I don't really feel presences from either of them.....although I did add a small tea light candle holder between them as a symbolic offering........

This was a small shock to me as I have never been tapped by any other than my own rather insular deities.

Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 21, 2010, 12:11:53 am »

I'm still in the process of developing daily devotionals, as I solidify exactly what I believe and how to go about expressing it. I have incorporated a nightly prayer, though, right before I go to bed. I have given offerings, but there's not schedule or anything governing them. In the past it's been in gratitude for aid, a kind of thanks. I have set up an altar and am slowly gathering appropriate materials. Just this last week, it felt like something intervened, actually, and I acquired, through the estate sale of an apparently recently deceased neighbor, two pieces that absolutely fit - a carved, wooden cup with wooden saucer and a small piece of coral. (I also picked up a small white statue of what I think is a cockatoo...it was something that just kinda screamed at me: "I NEED TO SIT ON YOUR BOOKSHELF" and I couldn't deny it!) This was kind of a teaching moment for me, too, in the kind of intervention I feel in my life. This woman didn't die so that I would procure these items (which is the viewpoint I'm having trouble getting over, as my very Christian extended family believes God intervenes in their lives on this kind of grand scale, where the actions that benefit them do not necessarily benefit someone else, and I can't/won't worship a God that behaves in that way). Rather, I felt like I was being pulled to this estate sale because these items happened to be there. If that makes sense? I'm still figuring it out.

What I would like to do is write daily devotionals, especially for the God/esses that directly influence my life. Currently, it's mostly thankful thoughts I direct to Them. I'd also like to meditate at least on a weekly basis, if not daily.

I am slowly developing how I am going to worship, and there seems to be no rush or "Hurry up!" at my back. Which makes the whole developing process rather fun. Cheesy

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 21, 2010, 12:30:43 am »

I do Senut, a daily ritual, for Aset and along with that, I give offerings to other Kemetic deities. 

On Wednesday, I offer Oya some wine or another libation of some sort.

On Thursday I offer to Oshun.

On Friday, I clean my house and offer milk or another libation to Frigga and/or Skadhi. 

I also wear certain colors or jewelry for those deities on those days. 

I also read books about said deities and do research to get to know them better. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 21, 2010, 04:05:59 am »

At current, little small informal shout-out type prayers. Like, when I went to the ER, I think I chanted "Please let the baby be okay" over and over again. (We are fine, viral infection and dehydration.) And a "thank you" or "thank the gods," when I feel it's needed. And then the ever lovely "You said you were going to do this," "I know I did, but I have half a million other things on my mind," "Yes, but I want you to do this," arguments, which for right now it looks like I've won, but give it time and I'll soon find out just how wrong I am.

Which reminds me, I need to write that devotional before I regret putting it off for so long.

Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 21, 2010, 08:47:06 pm »

I do Senut, a daily ritual, for Aset and along with that, I give offerings to other Kemetic deities. 

On Wednesday, I offer Oya some wine or another libation of some sort.

On Thursday I offer to Oshun.

On Friday, I clean my house and offer milk or another libation to Frigga and/or Skadhi. 

I also wear certain colors or jewelry for those deities on those days. 

I also read books about said deities and do research to get to know them better. 

You are chock full o' deities! And I am very... thrilled to know someone who is as dedicated as you are, I guess? I don't know how else to describe it.  Embarrassed

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 22, 2010, 09:43:04 am »

You are chock full o' deities! And I am very... thrilled to know someone who is as dedicated as you are, I guess? I don't know how else to describe it.  Embarrassed

Heh.  Thanks.  :-)

Maybe there should be a thread about that.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 22, 2010, 09:47:37 am »

Heh.  Thanks.  :-)

Maybe there should be a thread about that.

Knowing someone who has a lot of deities under their belt or their dedication to providing for those deities or both? Or[/b] a thread for people who are excited to know people as dedicated as you are?

Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 22, 2010, 09:49:01 am »

Knowing someone who has a lot of deities under their belt or their dedication to providing for those deities or both? Or[/b] a thread for people who are excited to know people as dedicated as you are?

Can a staff member tell me why the ending "b" is seen on this post? There isn't a second one anywhere that would cancel it out and render it visible...

SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 22, 2010, 09:57:55 am »

I know some people here have relationships with various deities from various pantheons.  Perhaps a thread about balancing it all out whether eclectic or syncretic or multi-path? 

Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 22, 2010, 12:48:28 pm »

I know some people here have relationships with various deities from various pantheons.  Perhaps a thread about balancing it all out whether eclectic or syncretic or multi-path? 

That would be cool.

Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 22, 2010, 05:14:09 pm »

Knowing someone who has a lot of deities under their belt or their dedication to providing for those deities or both? Or a thread for people who are excited to know people as dedicated as you are?

Sorry, not staff, but I just took the end script out and it previews as normal with the 'or' italic and bold. Which makes no sense to me, because you need the end script.

Just testing something. [/i]
And again.

Okay, what I am seeing is that for some reason once you post the end script for the first customization you don't need to post the end script for the second one. In the first phrase, I did it bold-italic and the ended bold-italic and the end script for italic popped up, but in the second I did bold-italic and ended italic-bold and no script showed. It makes no sense to me, because its never been like that before, but there you have it.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)