The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2020, 01:30:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 01:30:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Initiation / Coming-of-Age Rituals: Advice, Experiences?  (Read 13696 times)
Ali
Master Member
Last Login:January 05, 2012, 02:13:36 pm
United States United States

Religion: Druidry (Celtic Pagan)

/|\ Awen /|\

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 25, 2010, 03:18:28 pm »

Hi there, everyone! Recently reading a book by Bill Plotkin called Soulcraft (in which he explores various methods of and reasons for wilderness initiatory experiences for adults) got me thinking about my partner's oldest daughter (currently 11 yrs old) and what kind of coming-of-age ceremony might help introduce her in a meaningful and healthful way into adulthood. Plotkin talks somewhat regretfully of how our culture lacks supportive environments for young people going through appropriate initiatory experiences as they enter puberty/adolescence, and it struck me that I have sometimes heard Pagans make reference to holding such ceremonies for their children. My partner's daughter may still be several years away from such a transition herself, but in the meantime I would like to do some research and perhaps build a good set of tools and practical techniques that could be useful for such a ceremony.

So I was wondering if any Pagan parents here at TC have had any experiences with such rituals or ceremonies, and if they have, would they be willing to share ideas or advice? I have heard, only briefly, about rituals that focus on "first blood" and concepts of womanhood, as well as ceremonies more akin to "vision quests" where young people are expected to utilize their own skills and inner resources to find "their own truth" and/or perhaps ask for a new name. For anyone who has done this sort of thing, what was the experience like for you and for the child, what went right, what didn't, what was unexpected? What other techniques or rituals did you utilize (or have seen or heard about from others)?

Thanks so much, everyone! I really look forward to hearing more from you! Smiley

--Ali

For the whispering poet and enchanted naturalist that dwells within each of us...

/|\ Contemplations and Practice on the Druid Path /|\

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

john43
Permanently Banned
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 28, 2010, 08:43:07 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Christian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 08, 2010, 10:58:44 pm »

Hello,

My name is John and I just registered on this forum. You posted an interesting read about coming-of-age rituals. I just wanted to say that abstinence, virginity and freedom from marriage is a choice for those who want to do it. From one point of view, the advice is to avoid sex to prevent STDs / HIV / AIDS and prevent unwanted pregnancies. You can also prevent costs such as $300 Divorce cost and prevent risk of divorcing spouse taking half of your assets. Good luck.

John.

***SIG Spam Removed***
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 08, 2010, 11:08:29 pm »

Hi, John.

Welcome to The Cauldron.

Please remember to quote the post to which you are replying.  This is required by our rules, details are here.  Although you may trim quotes to include only the relevant portion(s), as I've done above, it's imperative that you include the linkback code.  This is necessary so we can follow the conversation backward accurately in case there is a need for moderation.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or to contact any other staff members.

Thanks.

~ Moon Ivy
TC Staff

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 09, 2010, 12:31:55 am »

Please permit me to be the first to say that I'm really creeped out by you responding to a request for ritual suggestions for an eleven-year-old with a sexual screed.

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 09, 2010, 12:40:04 am »

Hello,

My name is John and I just registered on this forum. You posted an interesting read about coming-of-age rituals. I just wanted to say that abstinence, virginity and freedom from marriage is a choice for those who want to do it. From one point of view, the advice is to avoid sex to prevent STDs / HIV / AIDS and prevent unwanted pregnancies. You can also prevent costs such as $300 Divorce cost and prevent risk of divorcing spouse taking half of your assets. Good luck.

John.

I hear condoms and other methods of contraceptive can do the same thing. Might just be hearsay, though.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 09, 2010, 12:47:30 am »

Please permit me to be the first to say that I'm really creeped out by you responding to a request for ritual suggestions for an eleven-year-old with a sexual screed.

Darkhawk beat me to it, but I do have to agree.  I can see a bit of a connection between the topic of preparing teens to become adults and to deal with adult issues, but I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at.  I don't know a lot about coming of age rituals, but I can see how some cultures might include some kind of sexual instruction.  However, it's not clear how your comments about sex education and divorces relate to the OP's request for suggestions for rites of passage.

What is the point you're trying to make?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: June 09, 2010, 08:31:46 am »

My name is John and I just registered on this forum. You posted an interesting read about coming-of-age rituals. I just wanted to say that abstinence, virginity and freedom from marriage is a choice for those who want to do it.

Like others, I find this post somewhat creepy in the context of this thread. I don't see what this has to do with coming of age rituals.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Ali
Master Member
Last Login:January 05, 2012, 02:13:36 pm

Religion: Druidry (Celtic Pagan)

/|\ Awen /|\

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 09, 2010, 10:17:12 am »

Hi there, John. Thanks for your reply, though I agree with others that I'm not sure what it has to do with coming-of-age rituals. I see from your profile that you list yourself as "Christian," so maybe if I put my request into a more familiar context, it would help?

Judaism has the Bar/Bah Mitzvah and Catholicism has Confirmation for young people in their early teens. These rituals are a way for the larger religious community to welcome and acknowledge them as adults capable of making their own choices (and with all the responsibilities that go along with it). While some parents choose to talk about sexual maturity and responsibility around this time, I think it's becoming increasingly common for parents to bring up these issues well before the actual onset of puberty (my partner's children have already had talks with us about both sexual and non-sexual romantic relationships, during their parents divorce and their mother's recent remarriage).

Primarily, however, the coming-of-age ritual as I understand it is much more about the relationship between the young person and the community, a way of acknowledging and celebrating their emergence from the dependence of childhood, into independence and participation within the adult community. In many of the Pagan coming-of-age rituals I've heard about, the focus is on giving the young person the space and support to explore their own self-identity away from the community for a time - a retreat into the woods or time doing interior journaling/meditative work - in preparation for a culminating "reintegration" ceremony where they are welcomed back and encouraged to share and express their developing understanding of who they are. The idea being that we cannot be responsible, active members of a community unless we have spent time getting to know our own deep selves.

In Christianity in particular (in my experience - I was raised Catholic), I think there is a much stronger emphasis on learning about and willingly agreeing to the various traditions and doctrines of the religious community, with much less emphasis on self-exploration. Perhaps this is where your comment on sexual relations ties in? (Though I feel like that's a stretch.)

Anyway, for anyone else reading, I'd still very much love to hear ideas or experiences if you're willing to share! I've been doing some research on my own (and may perhaps come back to this thread to post about them eventually), but in the meantime, I'm all ears! Smiley

--Ali

For the whispering poet and enchanted naturalist that dwells within each of us...

/|\ Contemplations and Practice on the Druid Path /|\
Witch Mom
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 16, 2010, 12:36:31 am

Religion: Feri, Radical Faerie

Gravatar

Looking toward Venus...day and night!

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/p

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 22, 2010, 10:00:26 am »

So I was wondering if any Pagan parents here at TC have had any experiences with such rituals or ceremonies, and if they have, would they be willing to share ideas or advice? I have heard, only briefly, about rituals that focus on "first blood" and concepts of womanhood, as well as ceremonies more akin to "vision quests" where young people are expected to utilize their own skills and inner resources to find "their own truth" and/or perhaps ask for a new name. For anyone who has done this sort of thing, what was the experience like for you and for the child, what went right, what didn't, what was unexpected? What other techniques or rituals did you utilize (or have seen or heard about from others)?

Ah! What a great topic. I am hoping that others find it and are able to reply. My son is too young for such a thing, but I think like most pagans, we are "winging it" as our culture does not have such a ritual/rite. I know of several parents who have done things for girls menarche, but now that I have a little boy, I wonder what is appropriate when the time comes...

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 22, 2010, 12:09:08 pm »

Judaism has the Bar/Bah Mitzvah and Catholicism has Confirmation for young people in their early teens. These rituals are a way for the larger religious community to welcome and acknowledge them as adults capable of making their own choices (and with all the responsibilities that go along with it).
(snip)

A bar or bat mitzvah in Judaism is sort of about making their own choices as adults.  It's that they are now responsible, instead of their parents, for keeping the 614 commandments (mitzvot). They are also eligiable to lead religious services and be counted as part of the minimum number of people needed to say certain prayers.

In a pagan context they'd be allowed to lead a circle instead of just being part of it.

Depending upon the pagan tradition, leading a ritual may be one way to cap or start the cerimony.

I will suggest that after going thru the ceremony, that there really be a change of status, either within the US legal framework or within the religoius community framework.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: July 22, 2010, 07:52:42 pm »

I will suggest that after going thru the ceremony, that there really be a change of status, either within the US legal framework or within the religoius community framework.
THIS.

IMO, it's not whether there's a formal ritual or ceremony to mark it that's significant, it's whether the young person is treated as an adult member of the community after passing the milestone in question.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 22, 2010, 08:38:25 pm »

my oldest will be ten in November, and I look at a few things when going for rite of passage demarcations.  First and foremost, it can't be made up.  It has to be something real and significant in which you can give an appropriate degree of adult privilege and adult responsibility in a way that the person experiencing the passage is prepared for and capable of handling successfully.  Giving someone a rite of passage to have them feel they failed to maintain the degree of responsibility that passage involves wouldn't be confidence building.

A watch has been the most significant rite of passage that my oldest has received.  The responsibility to keep time, to be allowed the privilege of walking to a friends house without an adult holding his hand and being given a time to be home by.

Presentation of said watch might have been done in a shiny and significant way.  We're sort of understated so he was given the watch as a condition of some additional freedom.

Perhaps an introductory initiation to the stove or an allowance increase might be things you can work into a ritualized moment but I would be careful to avoid rituals that focus on the giving up of one thing for another at this point.  I know at 11 I was in no way ready to give up dolls for dating.  I was probably somewhere around playing with the dolls when no one was looking and pretending I knew what boys liked and what was 'fashionable' at the time.

Maybe an introduction to the hair straightener, or a first trip to get a pedicure might be age appropriate and a bonding experience, with a token gift like a charm or an inexpensive watch or scarf.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
bradsmokess
Permanently Banned
Last Login:February 26, 2011, 06:27:37 am
Austria Austria

Religion: later

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 24, 2011, 12:55:24 am »

A bar or bat mitzvah in Judaism is sort of about making their own choices as adults.  It's that they are now responsible, instead of their parents, for keeping the 614 commandments (mitzvot). They are also eligiable to lead religious services and be counted as part of the minimum number of people needed to say certain prayers.

In a pagan context they'd be allowed to lead a circle instead of just being part of it.

Depending upon the pagan tradition, leading a ritual may be one way to cap or start the cerimony.

i do not think i was ready for you to put words in quotation marks. i'll think about what you really want when you put your search in quotes and try to return something that makes sense.

brad
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 24, 2011, 06:02:22 am »

i do not think i was ready for you to put words in quotation marks. i'll think about what you really want when you put your search in quotes and try to return something that makes sense.

Uh, what? Your post makes zero sense to me.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 24, 2011, 12:34:39 pm »

Uh, what? Your post makes zero sense to me.

ESL troll?

Brina

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.