The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 22, 2021, 12:55:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2021, 12:55:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook Etiquette Question  (Read 6511 times)
Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 27, 2010, 09:48:52 am »

There have been a few times that I've considered unfriending someone due to what they've posted as their status.  I decided however, that it's a GOOD thing to see views that challenge my own.

I would generally agree with you, however this particular person posted some fairly hateful racist remarks, and then wished death upon someone because of their religious views all in the same sentence. That was about as much of their view as I wanted to see. lol.

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #16: May 27, 2010, 09:56:31 am »

The aforementioned conspiracy-theorist cousin never posted anything but batshit crazy conspiracy stuff, and it wasn't even...  I mean, it wasn't even an exercise in other points of view.  It was just dumb, and easily-discredited, and nothing to do with anything approaching reality.  I finally decided it wasn't worth the frustration it caused me to read his posts.

I can see both viewpoints on this.  I sort of feel an obligation to throw these people a lifeline of sanity in their self-imposed batshit crazy isolation.  But sometime the toll on the blood pressure just isn't worth it.

Sperran
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 27, 2010, 09:58:35 am »

It was just dumb, and easily-discredited, and nothing to do with anything approaching reality. 

this particular person posted some fairly hateful racist remarks, and then wished death upon someone because of their religious views all in the same sentence.

Those are definitely more extreme cases than my own.  I'd probably block those people too.

I'm generally annoyed by the people that are very, very Conservative, or the one who waits to see what the most popular opinion is, and then sides with the opposing one.  Sometimes their opinions can be worth reading, even if only to strengthen my own.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 27, 2010, 10:27:15 am »

There have been a few times that I've considered unfriending someone due to what they've posted as their status.  I decided however, that it's a GOOD thing to see views that challenge my own.  It keeps my mind open and working and keeps me from being ignorant to what's happening in the world. Not agreeing with someone is not a good enough reason for me to end interaction with them.

But, if someone posted their crap on MY wall, that would be a different story, agreed.  (There are times when I have to try really hard not to do the reverse.  Like when I really want to comment on my cousin's "God is the ONLY way" statuses.)

I agree this to the point that some people's status updates can oppose my own and get the rusty wheels in the head turning.  However, everything has limits IMO to which point it will be tolerated.  For this purpose I have several groups set up for these instances, and no I do not un-friend people over status updates, but instead I relegate them to the Turd Pile(actual name, it makes me chuckle okay!) group.  Unless I feel inclined to see what they post I do not and they cannot post on my wall.  If you are curious, yes I have relatives in the Turd Pile, which is why I have it.

Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 27, 2010, 10:33:55 am »

I'm generally annoyed by the people that are very, very Conservative, or the one who waits to see what the most popular opinion is, and then sides with the opposing one.  Sometimes their opinions can be worth reading, even if only to strengthen my own.

I have to admit, that as much as I enjoy seeing the opinions of others, especially those who greatly differ from my own, I keep those people on my list more for the amusement of reading their posts than the worth of their opinions. Don't judge me I have very little to do in the run of a day. lol.

I can see both viewpoints on this.  I sort of feel an obligation to throw these people a lifeline of sanity in their self-imposed batshit crazy isolation.  But sometimes the toll on the blood pressure just isn't worth it.

Sperran

I agree, I sometimes feel that obligation as well, but more often than not I find trying to talk someone out of their " self-imposed batshit crazy isolation" Just throws them further into their insane rants, and to hold onto their beliefs more tightly. Which equals more facebook posts.

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)