The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2020, 01:03:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 01:03:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Questions, questions... (Being Drawn to Deities)  (Read 11816 times)
LuciaStar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 26, 2012, 10:11:48 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Undecided/Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 26, 2010, 09:03:55 pm »

A lot of stuff has been popping in my mind...I'm sorry for bombarding you all with questions. Wink
1. How do you know what type of deities you are drawn to?
2. Does it have a lot to do with your values, what characteristics or aspects of people you seem to be attracted to?
3. Would this deity you're drawn to turn out to be a patron or at least a worthwhile ally?
4. How understanding would a deity be if you're not too entirely sure of your religious/spiritual path?
5. Last but not least, if someone was thwapped by a Trickster deity, how would one really know? (...That's been on my mind a lot. If it's too personal, you don't have to answer. Smiley )
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:09:07 am by Star, Reason: Making subject line more specific » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 26, 2010, 09:30:34 pm »

A lot of stuff has been popping in my mind...I'm sorry for bombarding you all with questions. Wink
2. Does it have a lot to do with your values, what characteristics or aspects of people you seem to be attracted to?
3. Would this deity you're drawn to turn out to be a patron or at least a worthwhile ally?
4. How understanding would a deity be if you're not too entirely sure of your religious/spiritual path?
5. Last but not least, if someone was thwapped by a Trickster deity, how would one really know? (...That's been on my mind a lot. If it's too personal, you don't have to answer. Smiley )

1. You just are! For me, it helps to take a look at what I do in my mundane life and trying to make links from there. For example, a lot of the deities I've worked with have had gender nonconforming roles (for example, Athena the virgin warrior goddess who crossdresses all the time), and I myself have always identified more masculinely than the "average" (I use this term very lightly) females in my peer group. Also, pick up a mythology book or skim Wikipedia and see which names and stories catch your attention. I never would have thought of Dionysus if I hadn't been reading Bullfinch's Mythology one summer, had Dionysus' name catch my eye, and basically read everything about him a couple times.

2. Sometimes, sometimes not. Making relationships with deities is very similar with making relationships with human beings, just that deities are more likely to be invisible. Wink What sorts of people are you attracted to in your life? What sort of people do you respect?

3. Not everyone has a patron, and a patron definitely isn't necessary. I myself have only had one god declare himself to be my patron (hi there, Pan!), though I consider my relationship with Dionysus and Athena to be close enough that I use the term patronage without worrying too much. However, just like not every friend you meet is going to be your BFF, and not everyone you go out on a date with is going to be who you spend the next twenty years of your life with, don't put the cart before the horse.

4. How do you understand deities? What does "deity" mean to you? Forget labels, forget paths. How do you see divinity working in the universe, and in your life? For example, I'm a pretty hard polytheist, which is way different than how I saw deity when I was Baptist. Wink And I've been polytheist since I started my Pagan journey, which has encompassed several different paths including Wicca, Asatru, Druidry, Taoism, and a pinch of Hellenism.

5. Trickster deities can be blunt, just like other deities. Like Loki. Oh my god, that boy doesn't know the meaning of subtle. (My friend is a Lokiswoman and says that his idea of helping you through significant life changes is to burn down your house, break down your car, and have your dog run away. XD) Basically, if you feel drawn towards one of them, or start seeing their symbols everywhere, or you meet them in meditation, I'd say they might be poking you in the head a bit. Definitely don't stress on it. They aren't evil, and they're not necessarily malicious - they have a role to play, just like everyone else in their pantheon.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 27, 2010, 01:46:30 am »

Well, I've been interested in polytheistic belief systems and the myths about deities in other cultures since I was in 4th grade, so for me, it's about reading everything in the world until I feel a ping! somewhere inside. I can't really explain it better than that.

In general, it has more to do with my life experiences than my values. I'm chronically depressed and usually suicidal. I have an obsession with underworld deities -- when I was a kid hyped up on Greek mythology and going through my parents' horrible divorce, I saw my mom as Demeter and myself as Persephone. I continue to do research into deities who are associated with the underworld, death, or facing the darkest parts of the world and yourself.

There also seems to be an abundance of "healer" type deities that I'm drawn to, and I've often thought of myself as a wounded healer.

As for values, my values more or less align with my two Ladies' values...which is probably the reason They chose me. But that's not the deciding factor for what deities I'm going to be drawn to, or what deities will be drawn to me. (Well, I don't think it is; I can't really speak for Them.)

Not necessarily. I was drawn to Morrigan before She thwapped me, but Brighid came up rather unexpectedly. In the past I've been drawn to Dionysus, Persephone, Ixchel, Kali, Tara, Pele, and countless others. The few I've actually had contact with were Dionysus, Pele, and Thoth, who was my patron for many years. The rest I've felt nothing, or very little, from.

This made me laugh. I have been bumbling around in the dark for years trying to figure out what the hell it is I believe. I think I may have finally got a grasp on it. Whenever I do figure something out, I invariably turn to Morrigan and go "Look what I figured out!" and She rolls Her eyes in an affectionate way and says "Duh." She and Brighid are incredibly patient with me.

Other gods? Maybe They'd be patient, maybe not. I don't really know.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: May 27, 2010, 07:18:04 am »

To me, that's a lot like asking, "How do you know what kind of ice cream you like?"  Not to compare the gods to ice cream, obviously, but just in the general sense of how you know you prefer or are attracted to one sort of thing over another in any circumstance.

::shrug::  I think there has to be some level of compatibility or attraction, somewhere.  Otherwise, what is it that's catching your interest?

Could be.  I'd caution against getting too invested in the idea of a patron in the sense of "deity who takes a special personal interest in you", though.  I know we seem to have a high concentration on deity-tapped people here, but I don't think that's actually the way things usually go.  Which...  honestly, is fine.  Most people get along just fine without a deity messing around with them.  Wink

That probably depends on the deity and what they want of you.  They may have a specific way they want you to honor them, or they may just want you to pay attention and not care that much about the details.

Not having been thwapped by a trickster, I'm afraid I can't answer that, sorry.  I will say that I don't think you can ever know for absolute certain, in the sense of being able to prove that a thwap happened (Trickster or otherwise).  At some point you're probably going to have to decide that as far as you can tell, it happened, and you're pretty sure this is who's calling you, and act as though your perceptions are correct.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
LuciaStar
Senior Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 27, 2010, 08:30:40 am »

What sorts of people are you attracted to in your life? What sort of people do you respect?
I sort of wanted to reply to these questions. I find myself generally attracted to people who are intelligent, mischievous (almost all my friends are mischievous..sometimes malicious, sometimes not malicious.) and confident...or at least have pride in the things they do. :/
As for people I respect....I'm mostly going to say intelligent people are whom I respect, ironically, they usually end up having a mischievous streak.

Thanks for the replies(so far). Smiley I laughed at the bit about Loki's idea of helping someone. It sort of reminded me of the time were I severely wanted my father to set his priorities straight and the next thing I know we get a notice of Vacant. I think all it did was make my dad more cautious...maybe. That might be a good thing.

Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 27, 2010, 10:00:44 am »

All of the deities I have been drawn to have "called" me. I usually receive visions of them, dream about them, or they end up helping me with something. Normally, it's a gutteral response, and I feel that they are trying to tell me something. That's normally where I start. From there, I decide if the relationship will be short term or long term.
I have no idea. I try not to "picK" gods, but let them pick me. I relate to almost all of the deities in my pantheon to some degree or another.
I think the god/desses I work with would be a good ally. Any deity is a good ally, imo.
Depends on the deity. I have no idea how my gods would have been- I was pretty set on my path by the time that they came around.
5. Last but not least, if someone was thwapped by a Trickster deity, how would one really know?
I don't know if people would consider Setekh a trickster deity, but if they did, I know he wants something because I get this loud, obnoxious white noise in my head. If I ignore it, it gets louder. And the longer I ignore it, the louder it gets until I can't ignore it anymore. So that's how I knew- plus I kept having urges to look stuff up about him, various images in my head, and whatnot. He made it very clear that I needed to pay attn to him.

My .02

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 27, 2010, 10:16:31 am »

Thanks for the replies(so far). Smiley I laughed at the bit about Loki's idea of helping someone. It sort of reminded me of the time were I severely wanted my father to set his priorities straight and the next thing I know we get a notice of Vacant. I think all it did was make my dad more cautious...maybe. That might be a good thing.

Sometimes the most effective change is ripping up the entire yard and planting a new garden. I'm fond of tricksters because they give a good balance and almost force you to acknowledge the wilder, untended side of life. Or in other cases, they highlight the fact that we're not as perfect as we'd like to believe. Take Eris, for example - the whole getting Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite into a "who's the fairest of them all" contest highlights those goddesses' faults. I know I tend to be less cognizant about Athena's bad sides, which to me suggest that yes, Athena can be just as vain as any other deity, and her temper can match if not outright overshadow that of her father's. The same way, tricksters like Eris and Loki can whack us on our butts and make us take a good, long, honest look at our own characters.

</slightly off topic!> I may have found my new favorite thing to ramble about, can you tell? Cheesy

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
LuciaStar
Senior Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 30, 2010, 08:03:42 am »

There is definitely something attractive about the Tricksters. P: Especially Loki, for some reason. I like Loki, there's just something about him.

(I have a favorite thing to ramble about, too. P: Though some people might not like it very much.)

Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 30, 2010, 08:24:08 am »

Whenever I do figure something out, I invariably turn to Morrigan and go "Look what I figured out!" and She rolls Her eyes in an affectionate way and says "Duh." She and Brighid are incredibly patient with me.

This made me really chuckle, thanks for sharing. I do love ladies with attitude. :')

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
LuciaStar
Senior Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 30, 2010, 04:53:02 pm »

This popped in my mind: I have a very "I don't want to be restricted in one pantheon or one religion" mindset, which would probably make some gods whom deal with liberation appeal to me. I have a soft spot for gods of wisdom; because I'm always wanting to gain more knowledge and I do have a faint attraction to Tricksters...mainly because they're...interesting and it's pretty hard to deny the fact I'm drawn to mischievous people; malicious or not, whom are ironically either very creative and/or intelligent.

(slightly on topic, slightly off topic) There is one deity in particular, or at least, I consider him a deity, that I've been studying about for 4-5 years. It's been a very knowledgeable and enlightening quest. That deity is Lucifer, whom is commonly seen as a fallen angel and the devil (which, honestly, I don't believe the two are the same).
...I've noticed that my curiosity about him grew into fascination, which grew into a attraction... (...I'm prepared to be call crazy. P:) hmmm..

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 30, 2010, 07:53:59 pm »

(slightly on topic, slightly off topic) There is one deity in particular, or at least, I consider him a deity, that I've been studying about for 4-5 years. It's been a very knowledgeable and enlightening quest. That deity is Lucifer, whom is commonly seen as a fallen angel and the devil (which, honestly, I don't believe the two are the same).
...I've noticed that my curiosity about him grew into fascination, which grew into a attraction... (...I'm prepared to be call crazy. P:) hmmm..

I've worked with a version of Lucifer before, so don't worry on it. Smiley Dionysus is another good truth-liberation deity, I've found.

LuciaStar
Senior Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 30, 2010, 08:30:30 pm »

I've worked with a version of Lucifer before, so don't worry on it. Smiley Dionysus is another good truth-liberation deity, I've found.
I've looked at Dionysus and found myself liking him (though originally, I didn't really look into him since all he seemed to be to me at the time was a god of wine.)
I'm curious as to which version of Lucifer you have worked with. :O (Though that might be making my own topic off topic.)

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 30, 2010, 08:53:34 pm »

I've looked at Dionysus and found myself liking him (though originally, I didn't really look into him since all he seemed to be to me at the time was a god of wine.)
I'm curious as to which version of Lucifer you have worked with. :O (Though that might be making my own topic off topic.)

"My" Dionysus (I call him that because at this point, I don't know how much is UPG and how much is based in at least some sort of historicity) is first and foremost a god of revealing truth and breaking down barriers. He's about poking the fourth wall and then bulldozing right through it, making you face your own restrictions and giving you another option. Getting yourself totally smashed is one way to do that. Orgies are another. For me, I use writing to get myself to that point of ecstasy (it sounds so much more exciting than it actually is xD) that I can break out of a mundane frame of mind. So yes, the god of wine and drunkenness is there, but that's not the depth of what he's about.

As far as Luce goes, I worked with my own version of him. XD A few years back I wrote bits of some novels and roleplayed in a universe that was basically a reworking of some Judeo-Christian mythos, and Luce was one of the main characters. Basically the plot saw God (who was turned into Goddess in this 'verse) go from being a pretty okay creator person to being more than a little nuts. He didn't like the plans so he left Heaven while the going was good and accidentally triggered a rebellion in his wake. Coulda happened to anyone.

So basically, I see him as the uncoverer of truths, having the cajones to loudly call bs and take a stand for the right thing. Not putting up with authority just because they've got a crown. Not being afraid to be selfish, if it means you're taking care of yourself. Not compromising, even if it brings you to the end of the world. (Oh my gosh that sounds so intense. XD)

LuciaStar
Senior Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 31, 2010, 08:28:42 am »

"My" Dionysus (I call him that because at this point, I don't know how much is UPG and how much is based in at least some sort of historicity) is first and foremost a god of revealing truth and breaking down barriers. He's about poking the fourth wall and then bulldozing right through it, making you face your own restrictions and giving you another option.

Oh boy. That sounds pretty close to my impression of him. Haha.

As far as Luce goes, I worked with my own version of him. XD A few years back I wrote bits of some novels and roleplayed in a universe that was basically a reworking of some Judeo-Christian mythos, and Luce was one of the main characters. Basically the plot saw God (who was turned into Goddess in this 'verse) go from being a pretty okay creator person to being more than a little nuts. He didn't like the plans so he left Heaven while the going was good and accidentally triggered a rebellion in his wake. Coulda happened to anyone.

So basically, I see him as the uncoverer of truths, having the cajones to loudly call bs and take a stand for the right thing. Not putting up with authority just because they've got a crown. Not being afraid to be selfish, if it means you're taking care of yourself. Not compromising, even if it brings you to the end of the world. (Oh my gosh that sounds so intense. XD)

I see Lucifer a bit like that myself. : O (Ironically, I was thinking about writing a story involving him as a character, and a few others. I just don't know how I'm going to go about the plot and stuff. A friend suggested I should try to show the darker side of Christianity.) I also see him as someone who would encourage you to step away from the norm, question your beliefs and dogma, find what speaks with you, and discard what doesn't. To me, I think the best way you can describe him is that he's Christianity's Prometheus. (if you take some interpretations into account...and I have a bit of a Gnostic/Luciferian view on the serpent P:)
My friend has noticed my attraction to Lucifer has turned into a adoration, she says I think of him as a role model  Cheesy.(It's kind of hard for it not to turn out like that.) She really has no qualms about it, though, since she's told me she views Lucifer as relatively the same as I do which makes me a happy girl to say the least.
you can tell I love talking about him. Tongue I can go on for hours about him but I'm pretty sure no one wants to hear me go on for hours. Cheesy

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 31, 2010, 08:52:29 am »

Oh boy. That sounds pretty close to my impression of him. Haha.

Niiiiiiiice. I love it when UPG matches up. Cheesy

you can tell I love talking about him. Tongue I can go on for hours about him but I'm pretty sure no one wants to hear me go on for hours. Cheesy

You could always make another thread! Then it is completely permissible to ramble on as much as you want.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.