The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2020, 04:48:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 04:48:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Questions, questions... (Being Drawn to Deities)  (Read 11818 times)
LuciaStar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 26, 2012, 10:11:48 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Undecided/Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 31, 2010, 10:02:00 am »

Niiiiiiiice. I love it when UPG matches up. Cheesy
I know  Cheesy

You could always make another thread! Then it is completely permissible to ramble on as much as you want.
That's very tempting. I just don't know how I would start it or where I would post it. Wink

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 31, 2010, 01:09:12 pm »

I know  Cheesy

That's very tempting. I just don't know how I would start it or where I would post it. Wink

The Gods, Goddesses, and Mythology thread? Could discuss different interpretations of the Lucifer mythos. Might also be interesting to cobble together some research links on it.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Siya
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 07, 2011, 02:52:24 am

Religion: polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 08, 2010, 01:57:01 am »

A lot of stuff has been popping in my mind...I'm sorry for bombarding you all with questions. Wink
1. How do you know what type of deities you are drawn to?
2. Does it have a lot to do with your values, what characteristics or aspects of people you seem to be attracted to?
3. Would this deity you're drawn to turn out to be a patron or at least a worthwhile ally?
4. How understanding would a deity be if you're not too entirely sure of your religious/spiritual path?
5. Last but not least, if someone was thwapped by a Trickster deity, how would one really know? (...That's been on my mind a lot. If it's too personal, you don't have to answer. Smiley )

1. For me, it was mostly to do with my interests. I was always kind of interested in the Greeks, and love anything Celtic. And when I started getting into family history, I became more interested in the deities from my family's cultures.

2. I think one might become attracted to a deity (or attract the attention of a deity) if you have certain values. In the pantheons I am exploring now, the deities I tend to be most attracted to are sea deities, tricksters, crafters and animal-lovers, and I do think a big part of it is that I love the ocean and animals, like making things, and tend to be a prankster. I definitely think one can feel a bit closer to a God or Goddess based on shared character traits.

3. So far, I haven't found myself at odds with any of them. I hope I never do!

4. I think it depends on the deity, and the other path. I was basically a polytheist with very Discordian leanings for years, when I decided that I wanted to actually explore Catholicism as a way to honor my grandmother (I was raised nominally Catholic, but had been to church maybe 8-9 times in my life and my parents are agnostic at best). Eris was cool with that until the question of initiation and the required belief in monotheism came up. And then she was not really at all understanding and let it be known. She does not, however, seem to have the least bit of a problem with me exploring other pantheons, so long as I'm not excluding her. I can't speak for the others I followed before then, although I feel MUCH closer to them now that I'm "back" than I did when I was still contemplating testing the Christian waters, so maybe they felt the same and were just a bit more gentle about it.

5. I don't -think- I was thwapped by Eris. I ran across a copy of the "Principia Discordia" online, thought it was intriguing, kind of sent out questioning thoughts, and got a few pretty clear signs that she was quite fine with me following her. But from my experience with her and from what I've heard from a few others I've talked with who ended up following trickster deities, I have to agree with what Ellen M. said. They don't seem to see much point in subtlety. If one wants you to follow them, they'll let you know, and if you don't pick up on it fast enough, they'll let you know harder. Grin
LuciaStar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 26, 2012, 10:11:48 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Undecided/Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 08, 2010, 02:02:29 pm »

5. I don't -think- I was thwapped by Eris. I ran across a copy of the "Principia Discordia" online, thought it was intriguing, kind of sent out questioning thoughts, and got a few pretty clear signs that she was quite fine with me following her. But from my experience with her and from what I've heard from a few others I've talked with who ended up following trickster deities, I have to agree with what Ellen M. said. They don't seem to see much point in subtlety. If one wants you to follow them, they'll let you know, and if you don't pick up on it fast enough, they'll let you know harder. Grin
This sounds slightly familiar to me. I was posting some stuff on Luci a few weeks ago, and it awakened a spark in me and...well, the general feeling I got was I kept being hit over the head and kept feeling like I was being told to follow the path I want to follow, and not hide behind something "accepted". To clarify, the path I wanted to follow was Luciferianism, since it coincided with a lot of my beliefs and views but I didn't feel it would be "accepted" and figured whatever path I followed would offer me the same things. Didn't think a few weeks later I would have been basically pounded on the head and being told to stop denying my beliefs just to be "accepted"
...it really did feel like I was being hit over the head just so I would get the "stop following what is acceptable and follow what you want to follow" message. Cheesy
I'm still a little confused, but since my mind kind of came to the conclusion to follow what I desire, I'm not getting pounded/hit/bonked over the head anymore. Smiley

RootRealm
Journeyman
Last Login:August 21, 2010, 07:37:59 am

Religion: Hermetic Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 13, 2010, 10:57:28 pm »

A lot of stuff has been popping in my mind...I'm sorry for bombarding you all with questions. Wink
2. Does it have a lot to do with your values, what characteristics or aspects of people you seem to be attracted to?
3. Would this deity you're drawn to turn out to be a patron or at least a worthwhile ally?
4. How understanding would a deity be if you're not too entirely sure of your religious/spiritual path?
5. Last but not least, if someone was thwapped by a Trickster deity, how would one really know? (...That's been on my mind a lot. If it's too personal, you don't have to answer. Smiley )

I approach all these things vis a vis Hermetic Witchcraft, which for me means combining the wisdom of Alchemy and the Hermetic psychologist Carl Jung, with my own intuition. 
(1) You FEEL what type of deities you're drawn to, by exposing yourself to a variety of world mythology and Gods and Goddesses, and then just allowing yourself to be very childlike and say "I like that God/dess!!" the way a child would say, "I like that cake and I want to eat the WHoooooOLE thing!" 
(2) The deities, guides, spirits or archetypes that I'm drawn to seem to have to do both with what I most identify with in myself, as well as what I feel a need for in order to work on my own Alchemical transformation aka psychological integration or individuation.  My orientation to the Great Mother goddess is  erotic.  She is often the embodiment of the type of woman I am most attracted to, but she is more than that, since there are some things that are more powerful than sex.  There are also psychological reasons, from my own personal history, why a Mother figure is far more important to me than a father figure, and I also believe there are cultural reasons why the Great Mother is very important to us all at the present time.
(3) I am drawn to the Great MOther primarily, but also to other deity figures, and my relationship with all is as allies.  I see no enemy deities out there. I would be friends with them all.   
(4) NOt understanding one's path, is part of the path.  Any wise one would see that clearly, and to my view, deities are all wise ones.  Any deity who is upset with you for not being "sure" or "Certain" of anything, I wouldn't see as a deity, because it's the attitude of being completely certain which actually closes us off from deities more than anything else.  We're too confident, full of ourselves, we have no need of them.  It's when we don't know and feel lost or unsure that we're actually likely to be most receptive and open. 
(5) I think there are a lot of things that happen to all of us that we don't understand, and I don't think we're "supposed" to understand everything, or know exactly what all the gods and spirits are doing with us.  Just staying open, listening as best we can, being grounded and centered and receptive, trying to find the meaning of what occurs and accept all that happens to us as our teacher(s) is the best we can do.  Given the thousands of deities that exist, it doesn't make sense to me to be constantly scanning my experience looking for signs of any particular one of the thousands, such as a Trickster,  trying to contact me.  I trust that if I'm meant to be aware of something, by staying open, I'll be aware of it, it'll arise to my consciousness.   

If you live according to an example, you live the life of that example.  There is only one way and that is your way.  You seek the path? I warn you away from my own.  May each go his own way....  ---Carl Jung
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 25, 2010, 02:28:41 pm »

They don't seem to see much point in subtlety. If one wants you to follow them, they'll let you know, and if you don't pick up on it fast enough, they'll let you know harder. Grin
  Yes, that's exactly the experience I've had Cheesy [with the Egyptian God, Set].  The Gods/Goddesses  certainly let me know.

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
Nomad of Nowhere
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2012, 01:48:26 am

Religion: Slavic Polytheist

Gdje Yarilo hodi, tu vam polje rodi.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: July 26, 2010, 07:51:58 am »

1. The appealing part of a deity's character is complex. To me, every myth, belief, or story about them is just a feature of their face, their total mythos. In addition, ruling over elements or things that are appealing to me helps.

2. I'm attracted to many different types of traits. When I was first interested in pagan religion I was attracted to the Egyptian Tahut, which fit my writing/reading personality. However, later I became more attached than ever to a warrior God of all things; Perun. This is because his myth is so vivid, partially. It seemed odd at first that I'd be drawn to strength, but I've come to believe that even goodness is often just a form of strength. I mean it's hard to be a weak man and also a good one. Being drawn to or "thwapped" by a deity can be caused by or accompany an addition or change to one's older values.

3. I'm not sure what makes an official "patron deity", but I do consider myself inextricably bound to him- not exclusively, but in some form. Even my emphasis on loyalty as a value is part of that, and Perun is a God of oaths.

4. I wouldn't really expect that much understanding. I mean, it seems natural to be mad. If I tried to break with him completely, I don't think he'd punish me in any overly bad way. However, I feel like maybe I wouldn't be able to go back to him.

5. Well, my UPG suggests genuine control of thunder and lightning. Something I don't think a trickster God has any control over. Really though, I've noticed trickster Gods don't get away with everything. I imagine impersonating other Gods has its own risks and deterrents.  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 07:54:47 am by Nomad of Nowhere » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.