The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2022, 03:41:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2022, 03:41:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your definition of Faith  (Read 11510 times)
Lovesdalionking
Master Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:39:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Searching Solitary Human Being

You are beautiful, no matter what

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 28, 2010, 11:51:20 am »

The point I want to make with this topic is what YOUR definition of faith is. People can use the word "faith" differently.

The usages include:

-Trusting in the outcome of something.
-Faith being defined as religion, as in "Many people have different faiths".
-Trusting that a certain deity

That's all I can really think of at the moment, but I'm sure you guys have different thoughts and definitions about it. Smiley

So what do you think faith is?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 28, 2010, 12:10:06 pm »

The point I want to make with this topic is what YOUR definition of faith is. People can use the word "faith" differently.

The usages include:

That's all I can really think of at the moment, but I'm sure you guys have different thoughts and definitions about it. Smiley

I really like the fact you used the word "trust." For me, there's a huge difference between believing that something exists and trusting in a person. For example, my hard polytheism lends to the belief that each and every god that ever has, is, or will be thought of (and all the ones that haven't) are just as real as all the others. Does that mean I still have faith in the god presented to me as a Christian going up? Hell no. He dropped the ball, and I can't trust him anymore.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 28, 2010, 12:21:58 pm »

The usages include:

Faith, to me, is the ability to move forward and trust that things will get better.  That people are basically decent and given a chance will perform as such.  That the world will accept me as I am.

Faith, to me, is active, not passive.  I don't *have* faith - I *live* faith.  If it's not active, I'm doing it wrong. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 28, 2010, 04:30:06 pm »

Very simple: belief without evidence.
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 28, 2010, 04:51:33 pm »

Very simple: belief without evidence.

Any sort of evidence, or the scientific proven-in-laboratories kind?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 28, 2010, 05:21:14 pm »

Any sort of evidence, or the scientific proven-in-laboratories kind?

Any really.  The degree of evidence really depends on the particulars.  Of course I'm the one that gets to decide if the evidence is enough.

There is also a further addition for 'blind faith', which is belief in spite of evidence.
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 28, 2010, 06:46:58 pm »

Any really.  The degree of evidence really depends on the particulars.  Of course I'm the one that gets to decide if the evidence is enough.

There is also a further addition for 'blind faith', which is belief in spite of evidence.

That's interesting, because the way I've always defined "blind faith" is believing without any evidence (and usually without any questions). Belief in spite of evidence is, in my opinion, ignorance.

mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 28, 2010, 08:10:20 pm »

The usages include:

My moment of Blind Faith occurred when  all else failed (everything I tried or thought of did not work), and things worked out as they were supposed to.  At that moment  I also understood, that I did not create myself.   [There had to be something there].

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 28, 2010, 10:10:14 pm »

That's interesting, because the way I've always defined "blind faith" is believing without any evidence (and usually without any questions). Belief in spite of evidence is, in my opinion, ignorance.

That's very much like I see it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 29, 2010, 05:39:44 am »

I use it both as a verb and as a noun. As a verb it means trusting in my beliefs to such an extent that they become the conscious and sometimes subconscious foundation of my actions and choices. As a noun I use it to mean a system of beliefs supported by various degrees of evidence (from zip to empirical). Belief entirely in the absence of evidence I call blind faith. For me ignorance isn't any type of belief; it's the absence of knowledge.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 29, 2010, 08:51:21 am »

I use it both as a verb and as a noun. As a verb it means trusting in my beliefs to such an extent that they become the conscious and sometimes subconscious foundation of my actions and choices. As a noun I use it to mean a system of beliefs supported by various degrees of evidence (from zip to empirical). Belief entirely in the absence of evidence I call blind faith. For me ignorance isn't any type of belief; it's the absence of knowledge.

What about evidence to the contrary? For example, someone who continues to hold racist or sexist beliefs after interacting with people outside their race and sex group, for example. Or for something much more simple, someone who refuses to believe that yes, every single stove eye that you leave on until it's bright red will hurt if you touch it.

Sarena Rose
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 02, 2011, 11:31:03 am

Religion: Wiccan

If nothing lasts forever, will you be my nothing?

Blog entries (0)

secretsserenity 1jillyjill

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 30, 2010, 04:15:13 am »

When I first think of faith I think of how of…

I should have faith or trust in something or someone.

I believe think this can apply in different ways. For example, if you believe that having faith in the gods that your job interview will go well. Maybe having faith that Jesus will relieve you of your sins. Perhaps having faith that the ritual you did last night will grant you everlasting beauty.

The point is having faith in what you believe in.
Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 30, 2010, 04:25:04 am »

Faith, to me, is active, not passive.  I don't *have* faith - I *live* faith.  If it's not active, I'm doing it wrong. Cheesy

Exactly how I see it; since I started exploring my beliefs, the main obstacle was becoming active with it. I believe what I believe, but I'm not really of a faith if these beliefs are lying dormant, or in hibernation, and aren't being allowed to flower and blossom like they should.

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:June 19, 2022, 03:47:05 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: May 30, 2010, 02:46:18 pm »

Deliberate action to invest trust.

It's also, colloquially, a religion, but I try to avoid that usage because of its creedal implications.

BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 30, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »

What about evidence to the contrary? For example, someone who continues to hold racist or sexist beliefs after interacting with people outside their race and sex group, for example. Or for something much more simple, someone who refuses to believe that yes, every single stove eye that you leave on until it's bright red will hurt if you touch it.

I view such people as lacking in understanding (and possibly in the capacity to understand). If the case is actually that they do believe that the new information is true, but refuse to incorporate it within their world view, I call it wilful ignorance.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)