The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2020, 11:05:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 11:05:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Superstitions  (Read 5158 times)
WingedCoyote
Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 02:49:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Searching

I Eat Planets

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 02, 2010, 11:52:11 am »

A friend of mine recently told me that I should never, ever buy books about paganism/occult/anything related for myself. Similarly, I should never buy any magic(k) tools or divination tools for myself. Apparently if you buy them for yourself it diminishes their power. Has anyone heard anything like this, or any other superstitions related to practicing magic(k)?

Its turtles all the way down.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: June 02, 2010, 11:59:50 am »

A friend of mine recently told me that I should never, ever buy books about paganism/occult/anything related for myself. Similarly, I should never buy any magic(k) tools or divination tools for myself. Apparently if you buy them for yourself it diminishes their power. Has anyone heard anything like this, or any other superstitions related to practicing magic(k)?

I've heard a lot of things I would personally tend to classify as "superstition" related to the practice of magic, the obtaining of tools and materials, etc.  But...  You know, some of it looks a little silly to me maybe, but I don't really practice magic myself.  So I'm not sure I'm that qualified to judge.  And it seems to me that a lot of magic (though perhaps not all) relies at least in part on creating the right mindset, the right atmosphere.  Even if I think someone purchasing a tool for themselves is just fine, if they look at it and think, "Oh gods this thing is not as powerful as it could be because I bought it myself," then...  Well, I can't say that might not have an effect on the work they're trying to do.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 02, 2010, 12:12:09 pm »

Being gifted with magical tools or such is always a lovely surprise, and tends to bring positive associations to mind when using them. However, those purchased by the user, especially if they are particularly attractive, are just as useful. I have found no difference in using either, and honestly, I tend to favour those I picked for myself, as they tend to be more in tune with my own energies/vibrations/etc.

My particular flavour of craft has no prohibition to buying your own tools or books, etc. We do have a sort of onus to pay fair price for such, and are urged not to bargain with a craftsman over the price of a certain tool.....perhaps as a way to honour the value of the tool to both the crafter and the final user.

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 02, 2010, 12:12:24 pm »

A friend of mine recently told me that I should never, ever buy books about paganism/occult/anything related for myself. Similarly, I should never buy any magic(k) tools or divination tools for myself.
So you're just supposed to sit around and twiddle your thumbs until people buy stuff for you?

Apparently if you buy them for yourself it diminishes their power.
I personally think you're more likely to end up with a powerful tool if you go shopping for tools yourself and choose one that calls to you rather than accepting one from someone whose intentions you can never been entirely sure of.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 02, 2010, 01:25:06 pm »

I don't agree with this piece of advice at all. Magic is a mindset - ultimately, the tools are just aids to get your brain working the way it needs to. Scott Cunningham once told an anecdote where he had to construct a quick Wiccan ritual out of a paper cup, a salt packet, a plastic knife, and a birthday candle, and apparently all was fine and sundry.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 02, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »

A friend of mine recently told me that I should never, ever buy books about paganism/occult/anything related for myself. Similarly, I should never buy any magic(k) tools or divination tools for myself. Apparently if you buy them for yourself it diminishes their power.

This is silly. I've heard it over the years about various magic tools and items, but I've never found it to be true. The tool that works best is the one that calls to you. It doesn't matter if you buy it, make it, or someone else buys or makes it for you. At least as far as I've seen.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 02, 2010, 07:17:50 pm »

This sounds relatively similar to the superstition regarding never buying your own tarot deck, whether its your first or just another one. SunflowerP made a post about this a long time ago (here, for those interested -- ironically, it was my post about it that sparked her making a new topic about it  Cheesy) asking about it, as well as how common it was.

Like Fierflye said, are we just supposed to sit around waiting for it to happen? Honestly to me it seems to stem from the idea of "the Universe/Divine/etc will provide for you", tacking on a "sit and be patient".. which eventually leads to these "never buy your own tarot deck/magical books/tools/etc" mess. The idea that one should not take the initiative in something they are interested in sounds really silly, and at worst lazy, to me. Not everything is going to be handed to you on a silver platter.  Roll Eyes

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Sarena Rose
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 02, 2011, 11:31:03 am

Religion: Wiccan

If nothing lasts forever, will you be my nothing?

Blog entries (0)

secretsserenity 1jillyjill

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 02, 2010, 09:59:36 pm »

This is what I'd heard when I was starting my search for my first deck of tarot cards. In the end my mother's friend ended up purchasing my set. I felt a great connection to them when I first touched them. They are the best. It's my belief that it doesn't matter if you buy them or of someone else does as long as they feel right. I've bought all my tools, and a few books myself.
thetwitchyone
Apprentice
Last Login:June 22, 2010, 02:43:31 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Nonpracticing Bahaí and something of a pagan...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 07, 2010, 07:16:05 pm »

This is silly. I've heard it over the years about various magic tools and items, but I've never found it to be true. The tool that works best is the one that calls to you. It doesn't matter if you buy it, make it, or someone else buys or makes it for you. At least as far as I've seen.

Much of the 'tools' I use are hand made by myself.  I wouldn't say that buying your own tools is a problem, tho.  IMHO, you do need to wait for something to 'call out' to you, though.  If it happens to be a found item (a chipped rock for a blade), a repurposed item (old snake oil bottles to hold liquids or powders), or a item that just calls to your sense of 'right' ( a beautiful silver chalice from an old tea set), if it's right you'll know. 

(BTW, all the above are things I've used.  If you're open to new ideas, sometimes the best things just come to you.)
LunaNoir
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 19, 2011, 04:28:13 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 08, 2010, 01:12:06 pm »

Merry Meet Winged Coyote,

When I first began my magickal practice, I heard the very same thing regarding being gifted your tools. Basically what I have found to be true for me is that it depends on how a person feels about the "rule/superstition" as it would apply to them.

However, there are a few problems that I have with that "rule". First, if I were in a situation where I was not out of the broom closet, then who would know to even consider purchasing any magickal tool(s) for me? Second, if I don't know someone all that well, I'd be less inclined to take any magickal tool or item from them as I am not sure what spiritual path or otherwise they follow/practice. Lastly, I am a solitary practitioner and I am very sensitive to energies and would want the pleasure of searching and connecting with the tools that I were going to use.

So with those few issues, I've always felt that if and when I needed any magickal tools, that they would call to me.

Blessed Be,

Luna N.

RootRealm
Journeyman
Last Login:August 21, 2010, 07:37:59 am

Religion: Hermetic Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 27, 2010, 08:22:44 pm »

That seems very odd advice to me, as my view is exactly the opposite, namely that if you don't buy or obtain (or make, if you're not going to buy) the things yourself, there would be less power in them. 

If you live according to an example, you live the life of that example.  There is only one way and that is your way.  You seek the path? I warn you away from my own.  May each go his own way....  ---Carl Jung
Serpent
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 30, 2012, 10:23:36 pm

Religion: Kemetic Ceremonial Magician

The twin pillars open the way

Blog entries (1)

Cyclopean Seeker Zachary Kolb Serpent

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 27, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »

See, I've heard something like this but about Tarot instead. That you should always have your cards be gifted to you. I've also heard that anykind of tool you have is supposed to be made by yourself and to never be shown to anyone, else they steal your power.

And I've also heard the reverse, that having items gifted to you makes you bound to the person who gifted the item to you. That you should buy anything you use yourself or make yourself so that it is bound to you, and not to someone else.

Personally, I'm of the mind that if someone gives you something then take it and treasure it greatly, and if something really calls out to you in the store then by all means snatch it up. The items you have only carry as much power as you're willing to let be carried in them.

"Do as Thou Wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

What is the Law?

"Love, love under Will, that is the Law"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)