The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 29, 2020, 02:20:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 02:20:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gemstones/Minerals/Crystals ~ Which are you most drawn to?  (Read 16752 times)
Pogue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 29, 2007, 05:33:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: exploring Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: August 08, 2007, 03:52:09 am »

Which type of stone, mineral, or crystal would you say you felt most drawn to -- or most useful to you personally?  AND... why?  Smiley

I have made a bracelet of Garnet, Hemitite, Green Adventurine, and Amethyst. I have acctualy made 3 of these bracelets. One for myself, and one for each of my bestfriends. I keep mine with me at all times. At work in my pocket, at bedtime on the table next to a pink agate necklace that one of my above mentioned friends made for the three of us.

The bracelet is made out of chips of the stone so that each one is of a diffrent shape and intensety in color. I have gotten more complemnts on that bracelet than I have on anyother peice of jewely that I own. I think that the stones/crystals chose me. I went through several strands of them at the store, each one beautiful in their own right. However the ones that I bought seemd to call to me.

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
                                   H.G.Wells

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

lilacgoddess
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 11, 2007, 11:37:51 am

Religion: Pagan, spiritual seeker

"Follow my lead, not my footsteps."

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: August 08, 2007, 11:41:45 am »

Ive never Bathed with crystals before.. wow.. im going to have to try that... Thanks..  Just use normal crytals or are they special ones? Like specifically for water? do they melt? or just toss some of the gem stones in??

Most stones are water acceptable, but there are a few soft stones that you need to be careful with. There are some stones that release toxic chemicals when put in water, and there are some that are not dangerous, but will melt away, such as selenite and desert rose(which is a type of selenite). Before you go throwing just any old stone into water, research it first.

Also be aware that some stones are extremely toxic when ingested, so also do research before making any elixers. For the most part, stones are safe in the bathtub. They can be like the ole' rubber ducky, its not a real bath without them. Grin

"Always remember who you are and where you came from, and never shy away."
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: August 08, 2007, 04:03:07 pm »

Ive never Bathed with crystals before.. wow.. im going to have to try that... Thanks..  Just use normal crytals or are they special ones? Like specifically for water? do they melt? or just toss some of the gem stones in??

I just take baths with my crystals I normally use in healings, meditations, etc.  They are normal, everyday crystals.  Well, one of them is my little crystal ball, but still just made of normal crystal.

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #48: August 08, 2007, 11:45:49 pm »

Most stones are water acceptable, but there are a few soft stones that you need to be careful with. There are some stones that release toxic chemicals when put in water, and there are some that are not dangerous, but will melt away, such as selenite and desert rose(which is a type of selenite). Before you go throwing just any old stone into water, research it first.

Also be aware that some stones are extremely toxic when ingested, so also do research before making any elixers. For the most part, stones are safe in the bathtub. They can be like the ole' rubber ducky, its not a real bath without them. Grin

Will Do.. thanks a bunch.. I never thought to make sure they werent toxic..  Shocked
maybe I will leave them outside the water and just place them around the tub.. along with my candles and insense..
lilacgoddess
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 11, 2007, 11:37:51 am

Religion: Pagan, spiritual seeker

"Follow my lead, not my footsteps."

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: August 09, 2007, 01:00:11 pm »

Will Do.. thanks a bunch.. I never thought to make sure they werent toxic..  Shocked
maybe I will leave them outside the water and just place them around the tub.. along with my candles and insense..

I did not mean to disturb you Embarrassed . Most crystals and stones are water tolerable, such as quartz, tiger eye, amethyst, citrine, bloodstone, hematite, hard stones such as that. And some stones are only toxic in large amounts. Don't be afraid to experiment, for they are lovely in bath companions

And please do not be afraid to place them in the water, as their energy actually "modifies" the molecules of the water, almost like infusing it with the energy. (I read a book on how different energies actually change the shape of water molecules(it was a scientific study)). Another point is that stones in the water and out of water are two different matters, just like a spell that specifies in water may turn out quite differently out of water. You will feel the effects differently.

Although ultimately it comes down to your comfort level with where and how you use each stone. Most good books will tell you if the stone is good for the bath or an elixer. If it says nothing about being toxic or soft, it is probably alright to bathe with it. Good luck and enjoy!!!!!! 

"Always remember who you are and where you came from, and never shy away."
SearchingTiger
Apprentice
Last Login:April 04, 2008, 09:55:39 pm

Religion: Exploring Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: August 09, 2007, 11:03:06 pm »

From what I have heard, malachite, sodalite, and lapis lazuli shouldnt be soaked in water either! This is good to know for baths AND crystal cleansing! They dont get toxic, it just damages them (which is NOT good!)

I just got the most beautiful specimen of smoky quartz...I am so excited!
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #51: August 10, 2007, 12:43:00 am »

From what I have heard, malachite, sodalite, and lapis lazuli shouldnt be soaked in water either! This is good to know for baths AND crystal cleansing! They dont get toxic, it just damages them (which is NOT good!)

In some cases, the stones are dyed.  This is especially common with Lapis Lazuli, IIRC.  Soaking the stones makes the dye come out.

If you look at online beadstores, f'ex, the good ones will tell you when the stones they're using for beads have been dyed or heat treated to intensify the color or whatever.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Pixie Tales
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2008, 11:04:22 pm

Religion: Celtic Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: August 11, 2007, 10:55:44 pm »

I just got the most beautiful specimen of smoky quartz...I am so excited!

I am sooooo excited too.. I just bought a whole bunch of new crystals and ones ive never heard of.. they are soooo cool... the woman had/has an ebay store and recently opened this shop within 20 minutes of my house..  I did buy a Lapis Lazuli.. it's my first one..  Grin

I believe lodestones as well are not to be near water or oils because of the seperate magnetic shavings you have to keep applying to the stone.. i didnt buy one of them cause they seem kinda weird and I was afraid of it..  Embarrassed
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: August 12, 2007, 12:50:27 pm »

I did buy a Lapis Lazuli.. it's my first one..  Grin

Lapis caught my interest when reading up on Sumer.  It was very prized - in Inanna's descent to the Netherworld, she carried a lapis rod like a scepter.  If IRC, there were large vases carved from single chunks of lapis unearthed by the Woolley expedition.

For millennia, it was only mined in one area of Afghanistan, and while that is the source of the finest lapis and lazurite, other mines exist:

http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/silicate/lazurite/lazurite.htm

I have one little piece of it on my altar. Smiley

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: August 12, 2007, 03:10:07 pm »

Which type of stone, mineral, or crystal would you say you felt most drawn to -- or most useful to you personally?  AND... why?  Smiley

(and include a little information about your favorite if you'd like)

Hmm, interesting question. I'd have to say that I have been drawn to different stones at different times in my life, and it is only within the last few years that I have really begun to pay attention and work with the Stone People at all. Most recently I have been drawn to blue lace agate, moss agate, rose quartz and boji stones. However, Amethyst, amber, silver, pearl, geodes, and hematite are all Stone People that I have loved and been fascinated with since I was a little girl.

www.crystalsandjewelry.com ...

www.peacefulmind.com

To me, Amethyst has always been a comforting stone. I love the energy and ageless memories of Amber. Silver helps me with soul/spiritual work. Geodes remind me of the wonder of Nature, and hematite is a Must! lol Grounding, excellent for helping me remove energy blockages, drawing or repelling darn near anything!

Once I reached an age and time in my life where I began researching such thing, I have to say that I found it Hilarious that so many of the stones I am drawn to are meant to help you with Math! I'm Terrible at math lol. My algebra teacher from high school once spent an entire period with me trying to figure out how I could show all my work in a problem and come out with the right answer, even though the work didn't seem to take me there in the "correct" way.. nor could I explain how I had done it! lol Yeah, not my best subject. Thanks for the chance to share some of my favorite stones, as that is Not something I get to do very often lol.

wishing you laughter

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 01:03:28 am by Entwife » Logged

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #55: August 12, 2007, 05:41:43 pm »

Taken from www.crystalsandjewelry.com ...

[Long quote removed because it probably is way past fair use under US Copyright law -- RSS]

(from www.peacefulmind.com)

[Shorter quote removed for the same reason -- RSS]

Please see our copyright rules (and US Copyright Law).  Fair use is normally 2-3 sentences out of a long work.  Giving credit is not enough, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Seeker11
Apprentice
Last Login:October 07, 2007, 10:45:16 pm

Religion: Gwyddon

Judge me by my questions, not by my answers.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: August 13, 2007, 01:22:51 am »

(and include a little information about your favorite if you'd like)

Well, let's see. I've always been drawn to moonstone, but it's my birthstone so that would explain that one. Always been a fan of tourmaline (pink) and quartz (blue), and amethyst and obsidian.

Moonstone has always helped me harness my empathetic nature, and helps with my natural intuitive nature. Definitely helps with inspiration, in my writings and in my photography.

Pink Tourmaline helps me 'focus,' persay. During certain rituals and things where I'm trying to get to know my god/ess, it's helped me focus (rather, lose focus) and quiet my inner psycho so that I can 'hear' what I'm being told. Definitely helps alignment with spirituality, in my observations.

Blue quartz has always had a calming effect on me. I'm naturally busy and multitasking, so when I need to chill out and just be, my blue quartz ring and a few loose stones I have, I just have to hold them and breathe, and they'll seemingly cool off and help me cool down.

I know it sounds hokey, but Amethyst has always helped me sleep better. If I can't sleep for some odd reason, I'll clear my mind, focus on my stone and then I wake up. It's amazing!

I was in a car accident back in 2004, and I lost the ability to play my musical instruments. I was given a snowflake obsidian necklace, earring and ring set by a friend of the family, and after it became attuned to me, it has helped immensely with my depression since the accident.

And that's Kendra's stones in a nutshell. There are various others, but these are the most impactful (not a real word but oh well!) stones in my possession. Thanks for reading!

Kendra
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #57: August 13, 2007, 03:48:11 pm »

Eudialyte is a stone sacred to me and is important in reinforcing my sense of ancestry, it is commonly mined from the Kola Peninsula and the red flecks in the stone represent the blood of my ancestors, particularly those who practiced 'shamanism.' One earns the right to wear this stone by proving their ability in methods of soul retrieval and working / negotiating with upper and underworld spirits / demons. I have a eudialyte ring, but I still don't feel strong enough to wear it while shamanising yet.

Wow, that's interessting.
Thanks for the Info - just read it in time, on wednesday I'll be 'stonehunting' with a few friends Wink

I like to have an Eudialyte for quite some time, because of it's energetic properties (what I've read, it seems to be a 'kick in the butt' stone). But there is also some warning not to wear it to long.

None of the books mentions such a lore about it of course. Never thought it would be such an otherworldly stone. I only know it from pictures and hadn't yet a chance to touch one.

Since I've no desire to be disrespectful to any spirits I'll make really sure it wants to come with me, more than usual. That is, if I find one of course.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: August 14, 2007, 12:59:41 am »

Please see our copyright rules (and US Copyright Law).  Fair use is normally 2-3 sentences out of a long work.  Giving credit is not enough, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Hmmm, my apologies!

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
Liadine (dragonflyeyes)
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 09, 2011, 04:04:36 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Religious hearthwitch

we owe it to each other to tell stories

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #59: August 14, 2007, 05:12:03 am »

Oh, geez. I'm only beginning to work with stones (though my mum's a big fan of stones in general just because they're so pretty, so I've always had a few around) and already I've accumulated a bit of a collection.  My favourites, though, would have to be:

Hematite was the first stone I was ever drawn to in any real way. I was in high school science class and the teacher was passing around stone samples - after class I immediately asked her if I could have the hematite sample. She agreed, and I still have it; it's perfectly shaped for my palm, and it really helps me when I'm having patches of mental-issue instability. I also have a gorgeous hematite bracelet my co-worker made me, for days when I have to bring in the 'big guns'.

Tiger's Eye is another early favourite. My brother had a large-ish stone, and since he wasn't all that attached to it (and is the best big brother ever) he gave it to me. Helpful with lots of things, but especially if my thoughts are all over the place in a bad way.

Amethyst is one I've always had around, since it's my birthstone. It's one of those ones where I don't feel any particular connection to it, but I'd also feel kind of lost if I didn't have any. Very calming, especially if I'm feeling stressed-out by work.

Leopard Jasper is the newest addition to my collection. I'm still not quite sure what drew me to it (other than the stone I have looks like snow leopard rosettes), but as soon as I saw my stone I knew I had to have it.

There's quite a few other particular stones I love (and a few I'm 'flirting' with  Wink), but those are the big four (especially right now). If I'm not careful this could become an obsession!

Some days, although we cannot pray, a prayer
utters itself. So, a woman will lift
her head from the sieve of her hands and stare
at the minims sung by a tree, a sudden gift.
[Carol Ann Duffy]

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)