The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 08, 2020, 11:13:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 08, 2020, 11:13:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mommy's Exhausted: Help!  (Read 5868 times)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 04, 2010, 12:00:37 pm »

We just switched Rowan's bed into a toddler bed about two weeks ago. Now, he is up at 5:30-6:30 every morning. I moved his fan (for background noise) closer to him so that it would drown some things out. I also put an energy efficient light-dampening curtain in his room, thinking that the sun rising earlier was effecting his sleep schedule. We keep him up at night until 8:30/9:00 and he is still up insanely early. I'm exhausted and I need help.

Parents who have had to go through this stage in their child's development: How did you cope?

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 04, 2010, 12:13:22 pm »

We just switched Rowan's bed into a toddler bed about two weeks ago. Now, he is up at 5:30-6:30 every morning. I moved his fan (for background noise) closer to him so that it would drown some things out. I also put an energy efficient light-dampening curtain in his room, thinking that the sun rising earlier was effecting his sleep schedule. We keep him up at night until 8:30/9:00 and he is still up insanely early. I'm exhausted and I need help.

Parents who have had to go through this stage in their child's development: How did you cope?

I hate to tell you this but my daughter is 8 and she is still getting up at 6.30am every day, no matter what time she goes to bed. She is getting better because she goes to bed at 8pm as she has to get up for school. I find that a set ritual of bath, book and bed with a hot milky drink settles her down quite well. The older she gets, the later she will sleep (or so my mother assures me). If I can ask, how old is Rowan?

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 04, 2010, 12:15:55 pm »

Put him to bed earlier.  Sometimes the kid's schedule will just be different, and the option is adapt or go insane.  Can you go to bed earlier yourself, or somehow get naps or something in?

Swug is up by 7.  7:30 if he's VERY tired and the stars are aligned correctly.  It's just how he is, it's what his clock does.  Far easier to adjust to it than try to adjust IT to US!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: June 04, 2010, 12:26:24 pm »

I've got an insanely early schedule myself (5:30-6:30 is sleeping in for me), and my daughter oddly enough likes sleeping in, so I haven't had to deal with it--but a memory from my childhood that might help...  I think I must have gone through a stage where I was doing the same thing, because I clearly remember my parents showing me the clock and telling me that I couldn't get up until the hands were in a particular position.  (In my case it was 6am--I shudder to think how early I must have been waking them.)  I couldn't tell time; I didn't know it was 6am, I just knew that if the clock hands were like that, I could get up.  This was when I was probably about 3-3.5.

If Rowan's just switched to a toddler bed, though, he might be a little younger than that?  Would he freak out if you closed his bedroom door?  My daughter's only just managed to open her bedroom door on her own (at nearly 3 years old)--up to now, if she's woken up early she's sort of been stuck in there, so she's just played quietly.  (We still use the baby monitor, so that if there are problems we can still hear her.)

If you have some spare cash, there's also this clock:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/a6c0/

If the green light is on, he can get out of bed.  If it's not, he needs to stay there.  That simple (if you can get him to do it, which of course is always the trick).  Also useful for teaching time as he grows, and as a cute alarm clock later in life.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 04, 2010, 02:07:03 pm »

I just went through this switch with my twins 4 months ago, just after they turned two. I've had them on the same schedule since they were 6 months old. They go to bed at 6:30 and are up at 6:30/7:00 am, and this carried over to their toddler beds as well. Maybe try changing his schedule so that he is napping, and going to bed at night at exactly the same time every day if you are not already, or if you think he is getting up to early , maybe he is getting too much sleep during the day, but 6:30 is pretty standard for waking up for most toddlers I think. When it comes right down to it every kid is different and so is every parent. So what works for me may not work for you, but hopefully it helps.

Put him to bed earlier.  Sometimes the kid's schedule will just be different, and the option is adapt or go insane. 

I agree, if the time you are putting him to bed at night seems to have no change on what time he gets up in the morning, then put him to bed earlier at night and get more quiet time for your self on that end.

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 04, 2010, 10:41:04 pm »

I hate to tell you this but my daughter is 8 and she is still getting up at 6.30am every day, no matter what time she goes to bed. She is getting better because she goes to bed at 8pm as she has to get up for school. I find that a set ritual of bath, book and bed with a hot milky drink settles her down quite well. The older she gets, the later she will sleep (or so my mother assures me). If I can ask, how old is Rowan?

He is two and a half.

Put him to bed earlier.  Sometimes the kid's schedule will just be different, and the option is adapt or go insane.  Can you go to bed earlier yourself, or somehow get naps or something in?

Swug is up by 7.  7:30 if he's VERY tired and the stars are aligned correctly.  It's just how he is, it's what his clock does.  Far easier to adjust to it than try to adjust IT to US!

Naps are almost impossible unless it's one of my days off. My work schedule doesn't really allot for such "decadence." (I think they made the schedule on purpose, just so people like me can't nap.) Going to bed early is an iffy solution. It can work out three days a week, but that's because I have to be getting up and going to work when he gets up.

If Rowan's just switched to a toddler bed, though, he might be a little younger than that?  Would he freak out if you closed his bedroom door?

He sleeps with his door closed. He's been able to open doors since he was a year to 15mos.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 05, 2010, 12:30:47 am »

He's been able to open doors since he was a year to 15mos.

Oh you lucky thing.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 05, 2010, 09:28:47 am »

Oh you lucky thing.

Yep.

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #8: June 05, 2010, 05:12:14 pm »

He sleeps with his door closed. He's been able to open doors since he was a year to 15mos.

Have you ever used one of those things that slip over the door know so he can't get a grip on it?

Sperran
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 06, 2010, 10:40:44 am »

Have you ever used one of those things that slip over the door know so he can't get a grip on it?

Sperran

Not really. He was always pretty good about not opening them unless we told him it was okay. Now, it's a whole new ball park. The only time it becomes a problem is when he and I are taking the dogs for a walk and he has the door open, waiting for the furballs to dart out.

ladydelina
Last Login:February 14, 2011, 02:17:07 pm

Religion: Wiccan Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 24, 2011, 01:28:02 pm »

Find a wall clock (cheap at 5-10 or you may have one).  Paint the hour hand bright pink or yellow.  Paint a circle around the hour you would like to sleep till.  Tell him that he cannot come to get you until those two match up together.

Good luck though.  Both my boys do this.  The oldest grew out of dawn awakenings and now I tell the middle child to bother his older brother Smiley Revenge is sweet.  Unfortunately their younger sister is a dawn riser too.  Ah well.
sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 24, 2011, 04:47:01 pm »

My friend was an early riser as a child. Her parents put a digital clock by her bed with a piece of paper above it with 7:00 written on it and told her she was NOT to get out of her room or be noisy before the clock matched that picture.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)