The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 24, 2020, 09:45:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 09:45:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Strange find on Titan sparks chatter about life  (Read 4501 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: June 08, 2010, 07:25:45 am »

Strange find on Titan sparks chatter about life
Studies may suggest methane-based organic processes ... but maybe not

New findings have roused a great deal of hoopla over the possibility of life on Saturn's moon Titan, which some news reports have further hyped up as hints of extraterrestrials.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37556728/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 08, 2010, 07:53:32 am »

IMHO, it's WAY too early to be thinking "certainly methane-based life" (or life at all) based on this type of evidence. However, you'll never convince the news media of this.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 08, 2010, 10:17:57 am »

New findings have roused a great deal of hoopla over the possibility of life on Saturn's moon Titan, which some news reports have further hyped up as hints of extraterrestrials.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37556728/ns/technology_and_science-space/

I think those findings were published waaaaay too early - or at least the spin around them cropped up too soon. It's a shame. Unfortunately, until we develop faster than light speed travel, it doesn't look like we'll be able to get to Titan to check things out any time soon.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 08, 2010, 12:29:09 pm »

I think those findings were published waaaaay too early - or at least the spin around them cropped up too soon. It's a shame.

It's the spin. The actual findings are fine. They could be a sign of life, but there are other things that need to be ruled out first. Reporters tend to focus on the "signs of life" bit and play down the fact that there are all sorts of other possible explanations to rule out first.  I know of several cases where scientists discussing certain speculative thing that attract reporters like magnets have started using very obscure terms to describe things so that the average reporter looking for a wild story will not notice. Time travel, for example, isn't referred to that way any more as any research published always got over the top news reports.

Unfortunately, until we develop faster than light speed travel, it doesn't look like we'll be able to get to Titan to check things out any time soon.

FTL drives aren't need to go to Saturn. You wouldn't want to send people for something like this anyway, robotic spacecraft are better for this type of early exploration. Robotic probes are what was used to make these observations.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 08, 2010, 12:38:48 pm »

It's the spin. The actual findings are fine. They could be a sign of life, but there are other things that need to be ruled out first. Reporters tend to focus on the "signs of life" bit and play down the fact that there are all sorts of other possible explanations to rule out first.  I know of several cases where scientists discussing certain speculative thing that attract reporters like magnets have started using very obscure terms to describe things so that the average reporter looking for a wild story will not notice. Time travel, for example, isn't referred to that way any more as any research published always got over the top news reports.

FTL drives aren't need to go to Saturn. You wouldn't want to send people for something like this anyway, robotic spacecraft are better for this type of early exploration. Robotic probes are what was used to make these observations.

Not needed to get there, but to get there within our lifetime, right? (Actually, I have no concept of how far Titan is from Earth, just that it takes years to get to Mars with the technology we've got now.) Ah well, this is where it comes out that most of my scientific knowledge comes from fiction and TV shows. Wink

That's curious about scientists using different language to sidestep crazy reporters. What do they refer to time travel as? "Advanced chronological displacement"?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 08, 2010, 03:18:40 pm »

Not needed to get there, but to get there within our lifetime, right? (Actually, I have no concept of how far Titan is from Earth, just that it takes years to get to Mars with the technology we've got now.) Ah well, this is where it comes out that most of my scientific knowledge comes from fiction and TV shows. Wink

That's curious about scientists using different language to sidestep crazy reporters. What do they refer to time travel as? "Advanced chronological displacement"?

Naw, I think you can send a robot probe to Titan within a decade of launch to reaching it, if timed right.  Something like that.

It takes two years at optimum to send a HUMAN mission to Mars, but remember, human missions have little issues robot ones don't.  Like G-forces.  And survivability.  Robots can take a lot more. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: June 08, 2010, 03:36:30 pm »

Naw, I think you can send a robot probe to Titan within a decade of launch to reaching it, if timed right.  Something like that.

I think it's about 7 years, depending on where the earth and Saturn are in their orbits.

I don't think I'd want to spend 7 years in a spacecraft, even if humans could physically do that!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 08, 2010, 03:45:32 pm »

It takes two years at optimum to send a HUMAN mission to Mars, but remember, human missions have little issues robot ones don't.  Like G-forces.  And survivability.  Robots can take a lot more. Cheesy

Ohhhh okay. The only thing I know, space wise, is that Alpha Centauri is the closest star to us besides the Sun and is four light years away. Cheesy Thank you Asimov!

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: June 08, 2010, 05:00:54 pm »

With current/near current technology, a manned mission to Saturn would take about 3-4 years one way (if I remember correctly) assuming you launch at when the Earth and Saturn are in good positions. Recent missions take much longer because they aren't going directly there. Instead they head to other planets first and slingshot around them, gaining a free speed boost. This makes getting there much cheaper, but it takes much longer.

Randall
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 08, 2010, 07:38:35 pm »

Regardless of life or not, it's enthralling that our own little solar system is populated by so many diverse worlds. I yearn for an unmanned probe to give us a better glimpse of them, but I dread that, if any life does exist on any or our immediate neighbors, our very attempts to learn about them could prove devastatingly disruptive to them.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 08, 2010, 08:00:15 pm »

Regardless of life or not, it's enthralling that our own little solar system is populated by so many diverse worlds. I yearn for an unmanned probe to give us a better glimpse of them, but I dread that, if any life does exist on any or our immediate neighbors, our very attempts to learn about them could prove devastatingly disruptive to them.

Given our track record with other forms of life on our own planet....

Hell, just our track record with members of our own species!

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: June 08, 2010, 09:57:08 pm »

....but I dread that, if any life does exist on any or our immediate neighbors, our very attempts to learn about them could prove devastatingly disruptive to them.

Another good reason not to rush a manned mission to Titan.

Randall
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 22, 2010, 03:42:02 am »

until we develop faster than light speed travel, it doesn't look like we'll be able to get to Titan to check things out any time soon.

I'm not sure FTL would be practical for use over inter-planetary distances
Remember, you have to stop this thing, too

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 22, 2010, 03:47:55 am »

It's the spin. The actual findings are fine. They could be a sign of life, but there are other things that need to be ruled out first.

Kind of like the Viking missions on Mars
Yes, we observed interesting chemical reactions in the soil
And yes, these reactions could have been the result of biological activity
But they could also have been simply interesting chemical reactions in the soil
We don't have enough evidence to rule out either possibility

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: June 22, 2010, 07:50:19 am »

We don't have enough evidence to rule out either possibility

Exactly.

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)