The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 24, 2020, 09:57:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 09:57:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: In the market for a digital camera  (Read 2524 times)
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 09, 2010, 05:20:56 pm »

I've wanted a digital camera for awhile now, but I know absolutely nothing about what's good in the market and what might be best for me. So I'm tapping into the collective knowledge of TC and hoping someone either knows a lot about cameras or has a specific model they'd like to recommend. Cheesy

First off, I'm a newbie at all this and would be using the camera on a pretty regular basis. I've started a jewelry business and need to take good quality closeups of my products to put online. Also I'd like to carry my camera with me on hikes and take pictures of all the lovely scenery VA has at this time of the year. Smiley

If it matters, my replacement laptop will probably be whatever the newest version of MacBook is. The camera doesn't need to be utterly spectacular and fantastic - honestly, cheaper is better - but I don't want to just shell out $99 for the ones they have at Wal-Mart and end up getting my money's worth.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 09, 2010, 06:51:44 pm »

I've wanted a digital camera for awhile now, but I know absolutely nothing about what's good in the market and what might be best for me. So I'm tapping into the collective knowledge of TC and hoping someone either knows a lot about cameras or has a specific model they'd like to recommend. Cheesy

First off, I'm a newbie at all this and would be using the camera on a pretty regular basis. I've started a jewelry business and need to take good quality closeups of my products to put online. Also I'd like to carry my camera with me on hikes and take pictures of all the lovely scenery VA has at this time of the year. Smiley

If it matters, my replacement laptop will probably be whatever the newest version of MacBook is. The camera doesn't need to be utterly spectacular and fantastic - honestly, cheaper is better - but I don't want to just shell out $99 for the ones they have at Wal-Mart and end up getting my money's worth.

Be sure and see how many batteries the brands you look at take. I had an earlier Canon and it had 4 AA batteries. There was a pretty significant delay when you would shoot and then reset, but since I was taking stationary photos it didn't much matter. We bought another Canon (A590 IS) to replace it a couple of years ago and they had gone to using 2 AA batteries. OHMIGOD. It is AWFUL!

I love my Canon, but the change to using just two batteries is the worst decision they've ever made.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 09, 2010, 07:23:36 pm »

Be sure and see how many batteries the brands you look at take. I had an earlier Canon and it had 4 AA batteries. There was a pretty significant delay when you would shoot and then reset, but since I was taking stationary photos it didn't much matter. We bought another Canon (A590 IS) to replace it a couple of years ago and they had gone to using 2 AA batteries. OHMIGOD. It is AWFUL!

I love my Canon, but the change to using just two batteries is the worst decision they've ever made.

I have one of these:   
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=16307
except 2 years old.  I love it - and it uses long lasting rechargeable batteries and the lenses change out - but it may be fancier than you want.  We need to do product pictured for our website.

AntlerandHerb.com
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 09, 2010, 09:23:59 pm »

The decision to sacrifice use time for lighter weight was stupid, IMHO.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: June 10, 2010, 07:17:21 am »

I have one of these:   
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=16307
except 2 years old.  I love it - and it uses long lasting rechargeable batteries and the lenses change out - but it may be fancier than you want.  We need to do product pictured for our website.

(Mostly just jumping off your post here.)

::nods::  We have an EOS 10D, about 6 years old and still doing wonderfully, and I've heard excellent things about the newer models--but, again, probably more than is required here.  Especially if cheaper is better.  There's a reason why I keep having to talk Hubby out of upgrading.  LOL

We also have one of these:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14227
Which might be a potential option here.  It's a little point-and-shoot, pocket-sized, lightweight, easy to carry on hiking trips and stuff and takes wonderful pictures of scenery.  (Although as far as quality of photos goes, really it's more important to know how to use the camera you've got than to have a fancy camera.)  It can be a little dicey on focusing properly for close-ups sometimes, but that all depends on how close up you're going and how you're setting up the shot.  The battery in this one is a long-lasting rechargeable, so you don't have to carry around a Sam's Club pack of AAs all the time.  Wink  Hubby used it to document his week-long trip to Ireland with pretty much no problems...  (I think he charged the battery once every day or two, but I'm not sure.  No more often than that, anyway.)  Here's his gallery from the trip if example shots are desired:
http://qnarf.zenfolio.com/p301810324

In general, we're pretty pleased with it.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 10, 2010, 10:16:59 am »

Ahhh the photos are gorgeous! Thanks Star and everyone for the suggestions. I'm looking into them right now and going to get my dad (who knows a touch more about cameras than I, being a journalist and all Wink) to help me when I compare specs.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 10, 2010, 01:46:17 pm »

I have a Canon Powershot A540 which I like quite a bit. http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_a540/

It uses two AA batteries and they battery life seems pretty good.  It does have a bit of delay while saving the photos to the memory card.  I've reformatted the card and that doesn't help speed it up any. I don't remember the delay being so long when I first got it.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)