The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2021, 06:55:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2021, 06:55:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Are your gods from a "familiar" pantheon?  (Read 10624 times)
Ygraine
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 06, 2008, 10:11:07 am
United States United States

Religion: pagan-influenced seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 29, 2007, 04:44:23 pm »

For those of you who have had contact with gods in some way: Did your gods come from a pantheon you were already familiar with, or did they come from a completely unexpected direction?

I am much more familiar with the Greek pantheon than any other. Part of this may be that exposure to Greek myth in school might have been more common than exposure to the mythology of another culture. Yet I have always been interested in Greek religion, even before I identified as pagan, from a historical perspective. It’s possible that I just happened to retain the Greek stuff, but I don’t remember learning too much about myth from other cultures.

I’m wondering if my perceived nudges from gods appear to be from the Greek direction because it is the pantheon I am most familiar with, or if I became familiar with Greek religion over the past several years as a result of unrecognized nudges.   

Did your exposure to a particular pantheon from an early age push you in the direction of the gods you work with, or did you come across a less familiar pantheon as a result of later contact from a certain god?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 29, 2007, 05:01:37 pm »

For those of you who have had contact with gods in some way: Did your gods come from a pantheon you were already familiar with, or did they come from a completely unexpected direction?

Did your exposure to a particular pantheon from an early age push you in the direction of the gods you work with, or did you come across a less familiar pantheon as a result of later contact from a certain god?

I have always been interested in mythology, actually. I'd look at all the mythology books I could find. Yeah, they were probably watered down and rather crude compared to "the truth", but I loved them. I'd read the bible too. To me.. I suppose it was just the same.

So.. I guess when I finally did get interested in religion outside of Wicca, I already had some pretty basic knowledge on it, although not alot on Dionysos. So I went looking.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 29, 2007, 05:08:11 pm »

I have always been interested in mythology, so most pantheons I was at least a little bit familiar with prior to becoming pagan. When I was little I was a HUGE nerd for Greek myth especially... but the Greeks are one pantheon I've never worked with.

It's not surprising I wound up dedicated to a Celtic goddess, I don't think, because I am of drunken Irish descent. What was a tad surprising was the Egyptian pantheon knocking me over the head. Up until a few years ago aside from learning how to hook the brains out of mummies I never had any real interest in anything Egyptian at all.

So, yeah, I wound up working with a pantheon as a result of one deity pecking me in the skull, and a pantheon I never would have picked on my own to boot.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: May 29, 2007, 05:31:40 pm »

Familiar:  Greek. 

I don't think so, no.  The Greek pantheon is most familiar to me because that's what they teach in schools, with not so much focus on any other pantheon (except maybe Roman, which in school got conflated with Greek a lot), but it didn't hold any real religious interest for me until I got thwapped by Apollo.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Lorraine
Journeyman
Last Login:January 26, 2021, 10:25:36 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: polytheist but drawn to more than one pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 29, 2007, 07:26:46 pm »

Most come from the Greek pantheon, which was familiar to me.

I’m wondering if my perceived nudges from gods appear to be from the Greek direction because it is the pantheon I am most familiar with, or if I became familiar with Greek religion over the past several years as a result of unrecognized nudges.   

I've wondered the same, but I haven't figured out if this was definitely  the reason.  It's certainly a possibility.  It must have been the first pantheon and (watered-down) myths I learned about as a child.  Later on as a pagan I was pretty much ignoring that pantheon for some reason for many years, perhaps because they seemed neither local nor ancestral, but when I started getting various hints here and there from that direction I eventually began to take more notice. 

Lorraine
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 29, 2007, 09:29:50 pm »

I am much more familiar with the Greek pantheon than any other. Part of this may be that exposure to Greek myth in school might have been more common than exposure to the mythology of another culture. Yet I have always been interested in Greek religion, even before I identified as pagan, from a historical perspective. It’s possible that I just happened to retain the Greek stuff, but I don’t remember learning too much about myth from other cultures.

I'm another mythology geek, so most pantheons were at least passingly familiar to me.  I've been working solely with Brighid of late, though I've recently developed a nagging interest in Lugh as well - but that hasn't developed into anything at the moment.  To be honest, in spite my Irish (and English) ancestry and love of Irish art, literature, and music, the Celts were honestly the last pantheons I'd expected to find myself being drawn to (since my mythological interests were mostly Norse, Greek and Sumerian), but that looks like the way I'm headed. 

Though, I've also developed a similar "nagging interest" in Athena.  So go figure.
Ygraine
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 06, 2008, 10:11:07 am

Religion: pagan-influenced seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 30, 2007, 12:13:51 am »

I don't think so, no.  The Greek pantheon is most familiar to me because that's what they teach in schools, with not so much focus on any other pantheon (except maybe Roman, which in school got conflated with Greek a lot), but it didn't hold any real religious interest for me until I got thwapped by Apollo.

Until very recently, the Greek pantheon held no interest for me, either, mainly because I approached it as an outsider--that these were someone else's gods that I studied from the outside.

I have always been interested in mythology, so most pantheons I was at least a little bit familiar with prior to becoming pagan. When I was little I was a HUGE nerd for Greek myth especially... but the Greeks are one pantheon I've never worked with.

It's not surprising I wound up dedicated to a Celtic goddess, I don't think, because I am of drunken Irish descent. What was a tad surprising was the Egyptian pantheon knocking me over the head. Up until a few years ago aside from learning how to hook the brains out of mummies I never had any real interest in anything Egyptian at all.

So, yeah, I wound up working with a pantheon as a result of one deity pecking me in the skull, and a pantheon I never would have picked on my own to boot.

Maybe I should try and research other pantheons, then. I haven't been thwapped yet, and I'm wondering if I'm getting the nudges wrong because I'm limiting myself. I didn't even discover the Celtic pantheon until I read fiction that involved it. That's a bad way to get into something, even if the books are well researched. Other cultures have scared me away with big words. I should really get some books; big words in books are more manageable than they are on a computer screen.

I've wondered the same, but I haven't figured out if this was definitely  the reason.  It's certainly a possibility.  It must have been the first pantheon and (watered-down) myths I learned about as a child.  Later on as a pagan I was pretty much ignoring that pantheon for some reason for many years, perhaps because they seemed neither local nor ancestral, but when I started getting various hints here and there from that direction I eventually began to take more notice. 

Local (I guess that would mean Native American, in my case) gods would be interesting to explore, but as I'm not Native American myself (my ancestry is all over the place), it's something I've shied away from. 

What sort of hints did you get?

Though, I've also developed a similar "nagging interest" in Athena.  So go figure.

If there's a deity that's nagging me right now, it very well may be Athena. I'm just not sure yet if it's her, or if I'm projecting that because she has qualities I admire. Guess I'll just have to pay more attention to things and see. In the meantime, I'm rereading the Iliad.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 30, 2007, 01:00:59 am »

I didn't even discover the Celtic pantheon until I read fiction that involved it. That's a bad way to get into something, even if the books are well researched. 

I'd have to say the same, lol. I had never had much interest in the Celtic (or Celtic-influenced) pantheon. Um. Hard to explain. Either way, I got my interest into Celtic myths via the Merry Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton. Technically, the Tuatha de.. Something. Gah.

I'm sorry. ^^;

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Lorraine
Journeyman
Last Login:January 26, 2021, 10:25:36 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: polytheist but drawn to more than one pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 30, 2007, 07:29:20 am »

What sort of hints did you get?

Quite a few which were varied in nature.  A couple of figures from Greek mythology turning up during meditations unexpectedly (I recall that Ariadne was one of them).  I was trying to write a novel over several years and one character became progressively more like Apollo over time (I wasn't deliberately trying to achieve that similarity).  I'd persevered with the book mainly because I grew so fond of that character I wouldn't drop it!  Also, I had spent some time focusing on Brighid although she'd seemed to have disappeared for a while.  When I made an effort to get back in contact during meditation, and asked her if she was a patron, she sent me in the direction of Artemis instead.
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 30, 2007, 09:57:17 am »

Familiar:  Greek. 

I don't think so, no.  The Greek pantheon is most familiar to me because that's what they teach in schools, with not so much focus on any other pantheon (except maybe Roman, which in school got conflated with Greek a lot),

Yeah, same here. I realized some time back that I actually know like, nada about the Romans. The first mythology that was taught to me in school was Greek and Roman, and then a few years later some Arthurian, and a dab of Anglo-Saxon and Norse...though my first exposure to mythology was Welsh. After I first read Susan Cooper's Dark Is Rising books, (although she uses some Arthurian myth with plenty of liberties taken), I decided that Welsh mythology was fascinatng and read what I could find on that...which there isn't a lot available for third-graders.

As stated above, already familiar, but it all fell out after a period of time where I was checking out various pantheons and practices, including Aztec, Finnish and Polynesian

See...one of the great thigns about being a Hellenic Polytheist is that there is sooooooo much original source material available. And if you go to a bookstore or the library and ask for a copy of the Iliad or the Homeric Hymns, even in the most conservative little town, no one is going to bat an eyelash, and if you're in school and still living with parents, they'll just think it's school work...lol...pagan reading material a la Poe's purloined letter...

I think that's a mystery we'll never solve...

I found Greek mythology to be very interesting but in 7th grade I was still trying to be Christian and the thought that these gods were ever real was kinda hazy, and even if they were, I didn't think they actually existed anymore, but later on...oh, they exist alright. Though, I couldn't exactly pinpoint when or where I first actually realized this anymore.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: May 30, 2007, 10:16:06 am »

Quick note, Fiamma...  Could you quote/reply to each poster separately, please, so that we get the link-back to each post you're replying to rather than just one?  Smiley  Thanks!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 30, 2007, 10:22:23 am »

Well, one did.  I loved Norse and Greek Mythology as a kid.  So my norse patron was kinda familiar.  I say kinda cause the library only had one book on Norse Mythology.

My second patron is Celtic and I had absolutely no clue about her or Celtic Myths.  She just popped up and said "Here I am!"

Truthfully, I think my familiarity with Greek myths might be the reason I've never been interested in trying to work with them.  But it could be I just haven't been drawn that way yet too. Never know.
Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 30, 2007, 10:36:19 am »

When I first chose to work with individual deities I chose from the pantheon I was familiar with.  When a deity chose me She did it from a pantheon I had no knowledge of.  I even tried to avoid it since I felt that particular culture was trendy and perhaps I was just falling in with that, but She wouldn't let me go.  I've felt nudges from Goddesses in other pantheons I know nothing of over the past few years.  So I don't feel They necessarily only come through the lens of a pantheon you know well. 

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 30, 2007, 12:07:31 pm »

I work with a handful of Irish Celtic deities on a regular basis, and I'm testing the waters, so to speak, with a Kemetic deity. Neither are all that surprising; I loved Celtic and Kemetic history when I was a child.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: May 30, 2007, 02:05:26 pm »

Ummmm.  Actually, I think it was Brighid who caused me to do all that research into Celtic mythology so I would finally figure out who she was.   Wink

Before that I had been interested in Summerian, Greek, Egyptian, and Hindu (a little) mythologies.  But that nudge kept pushing back to Celtic, and it all finally clicked.

~MI

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)