The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2021, 07:56:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2021, 07:56:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Are your gods from a "familiar" pantheon?  (Read 10625 times)
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 30, 2007, 02:15:05 pm »

Did your exposure to a particular pantheon from an early age push you in the direction of the gods you work with, or did you come across a less familiar pantheon as a result of later contact from a certain god?

I was familiar with the Greek pantheon growing up. I lovedlovedloved the stories and had quite the crush on Hermes.  Wink

However, the gods that chose me were Egyptian. I knew nothing about them, and the only story I was vaguely familiar with was the Aset/Wesir story. But it turned out that Anpu had been with me since I was little (I saw Him regularly, but had no idea who He was), so it made sense once I was brought to Him that I was His. I would say that I came across a less familiar pantheon as a result of earlier contact from a certain god, one that I had forgotten about until after I started to familiarize myself with the Egyptian Netjeru.

I certainly didn't pick the Egyptian gods,and they were the furthest thing from my mind. But they certainly chose me!  Undecided  Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: May 30, 2007, 02:35:45 pm »

For those of you who have had contact with gods in some way: Did your gods come from a pantheon you were already familiar with, or did they come from a completely unexpected direction?

I was mostly familiar with the Graeco-Roman myth-set when I was young (I was taught them as equivalents with very similar myths, though I know now this isn't as true as some people would make it), with a vague acquaintance with some of the Norse stories, which never caught my attention as well as even the Greeks.

I referred to my Lady as Baubo on and off for a while, which She seemed mostly amused by in a very, "No, that's not my name, but it's cute that you're calling me that so I'll put up with it" sort of way.

I did a little research into the gods of my ancestral lines -- Germanic, Celtic, and Slavic -- and while Slavic thoughtpatterns worked for me better than anything I'd encountered before that point, none of the gods seemed interested in me.

When I got kicked sideways into the Egyptian stuff, I spent a lot of time trying to get my Lady to say whether or not she was a netjeret.  (She wouldn't.  Gods are perverse.)  And I read a lot of Kemetic discussion forums where people were posting things like, "Oh, I've always loved ancient Egypt" and ... I hadn't.  But the Egypt I got exposed to was all obsession with King Tut and kings and pyramids, none of the philosophy, and none of the ordinary-people stuff.  I engage really strongly with the thinking and the ordinary people, and kings bore me.

Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 30, 2007, 02:46:43 pm »

When I got kicked sideways into the Egyptian stuff, I spent a lot of time trying to get my Lady to say whether or not she was a netjeret.  (She wouldn't.  Gods are perverse.)  And I read a lot of Kemetic discussion forums where people were posting things like, "Oh, I've always loved ancient Egypt" and ... I hadn't.  But the Egypt I got exposed to was all obsession with King Tut and kings and pyramids, none of the philosophy, and none of the ordinary-people stuff.  I engage really strongly with the thinking and the ordinary people, and kings bore me.

Same here. I had never been interested in Egypt. It would never in a million years have occurred to me to even read about it, let alone follow their gods. It just didn't cross my mind.
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 30, 2007, 09:59:26 pm »

For those of you who have had contact with gods in some way: Did your gods come from a pantheon you were already familiar with, or did they come from a completely unexpected direction?

The only god I've had personal contact with is Thoth, and He was unexpected insofar as I had only really studied Greek and Roman mythology systems, and hadn't branched out to study the rest quite yet. (I already knew quite a bit about Egyptian history, but not the pantheon.) Since He came into my life, I've studied more about the Egyptian pantheon, and was surprised to note that the Eye of Horus, which I had a tattoo of (Horus is my Egyptian astro-sign), was a symbol that appeared with Thoth quite often. I figured it had to be more than coincidence.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 01, 2007, 06:16:04 pm »

Completely unexpected. I was dreaming up a science-fiction novel dealing with humanity in the distant future, and for background I tried to work out what their religious system would be. In the process, I ended up mapping my own unconscious beliefs...which is how my gods presented themselves to me.

It took me a while to realize this, but about the time I discovered there was this stuff called paganism that was everything I already lived and breathed and believed, I accepted the gods I'd been writing about as my own. The novel is long since discarded, but the mythos it revealed to me continues to evolve.

Like most, I learned some of the Greco-Roman myths in school, and *loved* them. Any other pantheons I found out about as a kid, I tended to love those myths as well (mostly we're taught the G-R stuff in the States, however). And I wrote my own myth or two, even back then.

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 16, 2007, 08:19:56 pm »

[xanax talking... be ware...]

When I first started looking at paganism I was in love with the whole Celtic thing.  I chased Taliesin and Cerridwen for many miles before I realized there was nothing there for me.  Everything I was getting out of it was purely placebo.  Substituting one set of false beliefs for another.

Only when I started looking closer to home did I feel home.

It's a miracle I got through that.  Mozilla and the red underlines saved my spelling.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 16, 2007, 11:44:40 pm »

Did your exposure to a particular pantheon from an early age push you in the direction of the gods you work with, or did you come across a less familiar pantheon as a result of later contact from a certain god?

I was formally introduced to Ancient Egypt via a project in the fifth grade and it just seemed so open and kinda familiar to me. I read almost every book in my city's public library system on ancient Egypt in a very short span of time but the religious aspect never really grabbed me. It was like They were waiting until I could appreciate it on a more mature level.
Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 17, 2007, 12:03:47 am »

I was chosen by a particular goddess (Asherah).  I had never heard of her or the pantheon before she spoke to me.  I have always loved the Greek pantheon and its mythology, but I guess the god had other plans for me!
I have not had much experience with Asherah's pantheon (Canaanite/Hebrew), but I hope to in the future.  I actually found an amazingly detailed list of Canaanite deities on a recon. forum and I was hoping to copy & save the list.  unfortunately, I lost the link to the forum.  Darn.  Anyone here heard of it?  It had two names. . .the first was "Axel" or "Axes" or something.  Oh well.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 05:08:13 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: June 17, 2007, 01:54:39 pm »

I actually found an amazingly detailed list of Canaanite deities on a recon. forum and I was hoping to copy & save the list.  unfortunately, I lost the link to the forum.  Darn.  Anyone here heard of it?  It had two names. . .the first was "Axel" or "Axes" or something.  Oh well.
Would it be Axe & Oak?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: June 17, 2007, 07:40:57 pm »

Would it be Axe & Oak?

Sunflower

Yes!  Thank you so much. 
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 18, 2007, 05:06:04 am »

Yes and No.  I studied the Egyptian mythology from when I was nine; I recieved  George Hart's Egyptian Myths and a necklace of Aset as gifts.  I've been hooked on Aset/Isis ever since.  I wanted to worship her then.  I feel a connection to Aset that I have never felt with another deity and this is still true now that I worship her. 

Oya and other Orisha showing up in my life was unexpected.  I didn't know much about their mythology and only a sentence or two about the deities.  I've since learned more about them both academically and through UPG. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
TribalCat
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 15, 2008, 11:50:33 pm

Religion: Solitary Shamanic Witch/Seeker on the White Lotus Path

*** Mrrowr!***

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: June 18, 2007, 05:42:18 am »

Pele has always been here in my life.  We moved to Hawai'i when I was five, and immediately I felt Her welcoming me home.  Kuan Yin was a surprise.  I'd never felt any connection to the Chinese pantheon, although I am part Chinese.  When She called on me, I had to do some research but felt a very natural connection.  Bast made Her presence known when I was a child.  I began working with the Horned Lord of the Forests after I joined a Wiccan coven.  Artemis feels the newest to claim me, although as I look back upon my life, I see Her there clearly, and of course we had studied Greek mythology in school.

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." ~ Albus Dumbledore
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 18, 2007, 07:05:07 am »

The only god I've had personal contact with is Thoth...

Quoting myself because there has been a change.

I've recently been looking to the Celtic pantheon in an effort to reconnect with my roots, and the Morrigan revealed Herself as my matron goddess.

Which makes me ecstatically happy. I'd always been fascinated with Her, before even studying Celtic pantheons that much, but thought that maybe....I don't know how to put this except this way: maybe I wasn't "good enough" for Her. To know that I am, and that I'm Hers...well, I'm soaring on the wings of a raven.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 05:08:13 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: June 18, 2007, 08:40:17 pm »

the Morrigan revealed Herself as my matron goddess.

Which makes me ecstatically happy.
Mwahahahaha.  Just you wait....

I'd always been fascinated with Her, before even studying Celtic pantheons that much, but thought that maybe....I don't know how to put this except this way: maybe I wasn't "good enough" for Her. To know that I am, and that I'm Hers...well, I'm soaring on the wings of a raven.
That I can relate to.  I recall, in a thread not long ago, describing in detail my Morrigan-thwapping, and that was the part I couldn't figure out how to put into words - that I was so interested in her, I was very hesitant to suppose that the incident in question really did mean she was claiming me.  Not exactly that I might not be "good enough", just... not sure I was acceptable.  (If I had a nickel for every fluffy bunny who claims to be thwapped merely because they think the deity in question was super-cool, I'd have a nice chunk of spare change - plenty, f'ex, to cover a certain trip I'd love to take.)

Welcome to "the sisterhood"  (um, not intentionally leaving out any of tM's male devotees here).

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #29: June 18, 2007, 08:49:38 pm »

Mwahahahaha.  Just you wait....
That I can relate to.  I recall, in a thread not long ago, describing in detail my Morrigan-thwapping, and that was the part I couldn't figure out how to put into words - that I was so interested in her, I was very hesitant to suppose that the incident in question really did mean she was claiming me.  Not exactly that I might not be "good enough", just... not sure I was acceptable.  (If I had a nickel for every fluffy bunny who claims to be thwapped merely because they think the deity in question was super-cool, I'd have a nice chunk of spare change - plenty, f'ex, to cover a certain trip I'd love to take.)

Welcome to "the sisterhood"  (um, not intentionally leaving out any of tM's male devotees here).

Sunflower

funny thing is... I don't know if it's come up here or not but that whole 'super-cool' thing - or rather, not wanting people to think that was what I was thinking - is one of the things that held me off dedicating for as long as I held off for... I was on the scary side and the WHY ME? side btw Tongue

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)