The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 26, 2021, 10:47:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2021, 10:47:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Resources: Where to start?  (Read 2928 times)
Aithne
Apprentice
Last Login:April 10, 2011, 07:37:43 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Just thwapped by Brighid, figuring it out from here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 16, 2010, 10:17:54 pm »

Brighid made a sudden appearance in my life last week and has made it very clear that she will be in my life but that I also need to do my research! Eventually I want to join the Cill, but I want to start my research first. Luckily for me, being a poor uni student, I have access to a library which has a few books mentioned on the Brighid Resources topic. The thing is, I can only borrow a couple of books at a time, and am a complete beginning at Celtic studies. Here are a list of the books I have access to, and if anyone can tell me which ones would make a good starter or are just so good I have to read them soon, I would really appreciate it Smiley Any recommendations would be appreciated as well Smiley

Green, Miranda, Celtic Goddess: Warriors, Virgins and Mothers, British Museum Press, 1995.

Berger, Pamela, The Goddess Obscured:  Transformations of the Grain Protectress from Goddess to Saint, Beacon Press, 1985.

Clark, Rosalind, The Great Queens:  Irish Goddesses from the Morrígan to Cathleen ní Houlihan, Barnes and Noble Books, 1991

Condren, Mary, The Serpent and the Goddess:  Women, Religion, and Power in Celtic Ireland, HarperCollins Publishers, 1989.

Hutton, Ronald, The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles:  Their Nature and Legacy, Blackwell Publishing, 1993.

Hutton, Ronald, Stations of the Sun:  A History of the Ritual Year in Britain, Oxford University Press, 1996.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 16, 2010, 11:09:45 pm »

Green, Miranda, Celtic Goddess: Warriors, Virgins and Mothers, British Museum Press, 1995.

Berger, Pamela, The Goddess Obscured:  Transformations of the Grain Protectress from Goddess to Saint, Beacon Press, 1985.

Condren, Mary, The Serpent and the Goddess:  Women, Religion, and Power in Celtic Ireland, HarperCollins Publishers, 1989.

I'd start with Green's book, then the others listed above.  They all have decent sections on Brighid.

Clark's book does have some material on Her, but not all that much, IIRC.  Neither of Hutton's books includes a lot of Brighid material.  Stations of the Sun has a brief section on the traditions surrounding Imbolc.  The other Hutton book you listed does not discuss Brighid, other than generically and in passing, but it's a great book for an all-around understanding of ancient Celtic society and religion, so I'd definitely recommend it.

As far as other recommendations go, I try to list everything I come across in the Cill's resources thread.  If you want more info on specific books or websites, let me know.

If you can get your hands on Devoted to You, by Judy Harrow, definitely grab it.  The subtitle implies that it's just about Wicca, but the chapter on Brighid is NOT.  It was written by Alexei Kondratiev, a well-respected Celtic studies scholar, and it's jam-packed with good info.  And you'll see in the Cill resource list that there are a few books out specifically about Brighid.  You'll want to get into them when you can. 

Hope this helps.  Have fun!   Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aithne
Apprentice
Last Login:April 10, 2011, 07:37:43 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Just thwapped by Brighid, figuring it out from here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 21, 2010, 05:03:09 am »

I'd start with Green's book, then the others listed above.  They all have decent sections on Brighid.

Clark's book does have some material on Her, but not all that much, IIRC.  Neither of Hutton's books includes a lot of Brighid material.  Stations of the Sun has a brief section on the traditions surrounding Imbolc.  The other Hutton book you listed does not discuss Brighid, other than generically and in passing, but it's a great book for an all-around understanding of ancient Celtic society and religion, so I'd definitely recommend it.

As far as other recommendations go, I try to list everything I come across in the Cill's resources thread.  If you want more info on specific books or websites, let me know.

If you can get your hands on Devoted to You, by Judy Harrow, definitely grab it.  The subtitle implies that it's just about Wicca, but the chapter on Brighid is NOT.  It was written by Alexei Kondratiev, a well-respected Celtic studies scholar, and it's jam-packed with good info.  And you'll see in the Cill resource list that there are a few books out specifically about Brighid.  You'll want to get into them when you can. 

Hope this helps.  Have fun!   Cheesy

Thankyou very much! I got those three out from the library today and am really looking forward to reading them Smiley Also, Devoted to You is available online at a bookshop in my country which often has online sales. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in my price range then. Thanks so much for your help Smiley
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 22, 2010, 06:45:01 pm »

Thankyou very much! I got those three out from the library today and am really looking forward to reading them Smiley Also, Devoted to You is available online at a bookshop in my country which often has online sales. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in my price range then. Thanks so much for your help Smiley

You're very welcome.   Cheesy

If you need more recommendations, feel free to ask.  This is one of my favorite subjects.   Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 28, 2010, 08:48:00 am »

I'd start with Green's book, then the others listed above.  They all have decent sections on Brighid.

Is that in print, or will I have to haunt Powell's to get it? My local public library's getting better with the pagan books, but they don't have any of the older stuff.

If you can get your hands on Devoted to You, by Judy Harrow, definitely grab it.  The subtitle implies that it's just about Wicca, but the chapter on Brighid is NOT.  It was written by Alexei Kondratiev, a well-respected Celtic studies scholar, and it's jam-packed with good info.

Gods rest his soul. Is that book in print? I have a copy of Alexei's Apple Branch around here somewhere but I can't frickin' find it. It must still be in the boxes I haven't unpacked. Guess what I'm digging through tomorrow?

Karen
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:48:20 am by Star, Reason: Fixing quote code » Logged

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 28, 2010, 11:40:44 am »

Is that in print, or will I have to haunt Powell's to get it? My local public library's getting better with the pagan books, but they don't have any of the older stuff.

Gods rest his soul. Is that book in print? I have a copy of Alexei's Apple Branch around here somewhere but I can't frickin' find it. It must still be in the boxes I haven't unpacked. Guess what I'm digging through tomorrow?

Karen

Try Amazon's used book sellers.  That's where I've gotten most of my Celtic library.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)