The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 01, 2020, 06:49:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2020, 06:49:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pet Door Training  (Read 1366 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: June 18, 2010, 10:07:04 pm »

We keep the cats' litterbox in the laundry room and we had to keep the door open so they can get to it.  We finally got sick of listening to the loud washing machine and had a pet door put it.  Now one cat seems to be getting the hang of it but the other two not so much (one of them is 11 and quite set in his ways so that complicates it further).  Does anyone know how long it normally takes cats to get use to something like this?  Is there anything we can do to help them along?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 18, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »

We keep the cats' litterbox in the laundry room and we had to keep the door open so they can get to it.  We finally got sick of listening to the loud washing machine and had a pet door put it.  Now one cat seems to be getting the hang of it but the other two not so much (one of them is 11 and quite set in his ways so that complicates it further).  Does anyone know how long it normally takes cats to get use to something like this?  Is there anything we can do to help them along?

We had three cats (of the seven total that we've had over the years) that didn't understand that that particular portion of the door moved; we spent some time training them by putting a string through it and having them try to chase it through the door, as well as pushing on it ourselves and peering at them through the hole. All of them figured out how to use the door, but one of my kittens still refused to, so we ended up taking the door off and covering the hole with a velcroed-up fringe of fabric on either side. She's the only cat I've ever encountered that knows how to use a cat door and just won't, though. I don't recall how long exactly it took them, but certainly no more than two weeks.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 19, 2010, 06:07:31 am »

We had the same problem with our cat, we tried pushing him through the door, and sticking our head through but he still refused. We eventually we ready to give up when my husband suggested we put him in the wood room ( where the litter box is) and put his food dish just out of reach out side kitty door, and shook his food bag. it took about 45 minutes but it worked. we didn't let him have the food the first time,we had him go through 4-5 times. now he uses it no problem.

we spent some time training them by putting a string through it and having them try to chase it through the door,

This is a great idea!

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote
Rationality
Apprentice
Last Login:June 28, 2010, 11:40:29 am
Canada Canada

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 19, 2010, 12:52:39 pm »

Why not try the Whiskas way?
Close the door and shake the food thing and according to the adds, the cat should Burst through the door.
Might want to get some other doors ready though, in case the cat bursts through the whole door instead of the little kitty door. >.>

Ain't I funny? :D Honestly, the thought did make me laugh tho.. Sorry.

Otherwise, try puttin everything (meaning food, water and the likes) on the other side of the door and, in thoery, cats being clever and all. Or maybe just because dying of starvation is not something animals tend to be fond of, mister (or miss) cat should eventually find a way in. But then again, it might jsut be that my cat is jsut obsessive with food.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)