The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 06:39:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 06:39:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How do you pray?  (Read 6329 times)
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 10, 2010, 10:45:33 pm »

Hi there... I will pray to abstractions... I don't like it... but I will...

Mostly I pray to actual things... you know... like a rock or an ocean... maybe the sky. I will pray to beetles in a moment.... but I don't mean symbols... I make prayer to things.

Can you please be clearer on what you mean when you differentiate between "to pray" and "to make prayer"?

I'll pray to physical things, abstractions, symbols, animals, interesting objects... you name it..

Emphasis mine. You just said you would pray to symbols. And why do you draw the line at praying to humans? They're physical things. They have just as much worth as clouds and beetles.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ghost Dog
Apprentice
Last Login:July 11, 2010, 01:21:53 pm

Religion: yes

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 10, 2010, 10:54:05 pm »

Can you please be clearer on what you mean when you differentiate between "to pray" and "to make prayer"?

Emphasis mine. You just said you would pray to symbols. And why do you draw the line at praying to humans? They're physical things. They have just as much worth as clouds and beetles.

Hiya Ellen

Thanks for hanging out this evening and posting back and forth. I really enjoy it.

I find the term "pray to" to be unacceptably normal... for one thing... the other thing is that it means to ask beseechingly, or as we say in the venacular, "to beg".... and I find begging to be an inappropriate way of addressing anything.

Heh... about praying to humans... I actually do it... but only at the point of orgasm.

Ghost Dog
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: July 10, 2010, 10:55:48 pm »

.... you know... assuming prayer to be a specialized form of communication
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: July 10, 2010, 10:56:49 pm »

I find the term "pray to" to be unacceptably normal... for one thing... the other thing is that it means to ask beseechingly, or as we say in the venacular, "to beg".... and I find begging to be an inappropriate way of addressing anything.

There's a difference between asking and begging. I don't beg my gods for anything. What then do you do when you "make" prayer?

Heh... about praying to humans... I actually do it... but only at the point of orgasm.

...thank God you felt comfortable enough to share that with the class.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 10, 2010, 10:57:08 pm »

...is prayer not even communication at this point?

Ghost Dog
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 10, 2010, 11:01:47 pm »

...is prayer not even communication at this point?

Well prayer is a specialized form of communication. It's one of the few things that religions have in common. Some folks say it isn't prayer unless you're asking a god for something... but that's just their religious bias.

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: July 10, 2010, 11:03:59 pm »

Well prayer is a specialized form of communication. It's one of the few things that religions have in common. Some folks say it isn't prayer unless you're asking a god for something... but that's just their religious bias.

Ahh, that's what you meant. I thought your statement had been questioning that prayer was communication, but I see where you were coming from.

Some folks say a lot of things. There are plenty of people who pray for devotions, or thanksgiving, or just to keep in contact with their deity in addition to asking for blessings and such.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 15, 2019, 12:34:15 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: July 10, 2010, 11:11:14 pm »

I find the term "pray to" to be unacceptably normal... for one thing...

Huh? Most words are quite "normal"

...the other thing is that it means to ask beseechingly, or as we say in the venacular, "to beg".... and I find begging to be an inappropriate way of addressing anything.

There are a number of types of prayer. Yes, petition (or begging as you want to call it) is one. Some other types are praise and thanks. Prayer is just a form of communication. And communication need not always be about asking for favors.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #23: July 10, 2010, 11:30:10 pm »

Please make sure to quote, even if you are just adding a comment on your own post.  We have a limited staff, and quoting is very important for efficient board management.

Thanks,
Sperran
Cauldron Staff.
Ghost Dog
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: July 10, 2010, 11:37:33 pm »

Please make sure to quote, even if you are just adding a comment on your own post.  We have a limited staff, and quoting is very important for efficient board management.

Thanks,
Sperran
Cauldron Staff.

Dang... tough crowd around here
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #25: July 10, 2010, 11:54:05 pm »

Dang... tough crowd around here

This has nothing to do with being "tough."  We remind everyone, especially new people, about the importance of quoting.  We understand this is not standard on many boards and so many folks need reminders.  We are much busier than many boards and we have a very small volunteer staff.  If there is a problem happening in threads, we have to be able to find the source quickly.  Otherwise, the board simply could not function as it does.  If I was "tough," I would have issued a formal warning...which this was not.

Sperran
Cauldron Staff
Cybella
Master Member
Last Login:January 23, 2011, 10:38:37 pm

Religion: Hearthwitch

Cybella Mathúin

Blog entries (0)

mensachick mensachickie

Ignore
« Reply #26: July 11, 2010, 12:48:53 am »

Huh? Most words are quite "normal"

There are a number of types of prayer. Yes, petition (or begging as you want to call it) is one. Some other types are praise and thanks. Prayer is just a form of communication. And communication need not always be about asking for favors.

I'm trying to get myself in habits without becoming complacent, I usually (almost always remember to say a thank you prayer before bed) but I'd like to get in the habit in the morning and before meals too.  And maybe before work, usually if I remember it's an Oh My please help me get through the next 12 hours without throttling a paramedic, emt, nurse or really anyone lol  Cheesy

Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts, Study Hard, Be Evil!

There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.
Ronald Reagan

There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Ronald Reagan

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)