The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 02:36:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 02:36:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 2503 times)
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 24, 2010, 04:11:29 pm »

I've lately been feeling a pull toward some Greek deities, which is strange for me because I have mostly worked and honor Celtic deities since the beginning. I find that I am having a hard time changing my perspective though. I have read and known Greek mythological stories pretty much my whole life, the problem is I am having a hard time trying to turn those stories into something spiritual... does that make sense?

Perhaps I am just looking at it wrong, my perspective is blocked by all the years of just thinking of them as stories instead of something more meaningful. So I ask: How do you view you deities (especially the Greek ones)? Can you give me any ideas as to how to view the stories and mythologies?

I really don't know what my problem is with this and I hope I have not offended anyone here. I guess I find myself in a rut and I'm looking for a way to see things differently.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 24, 2010, 04:36:43 pm »

I've lately been feeling a pull toward some Greek deities, which is strange for me because I have mostly worked and honor Celtic deities since the beginning. I find that I am having a hard time changing my perspective though. I have read and known Greek mythological stories pretty much my whole life, the problem is I am having a hard time trying to turn those stories into something spiritual... does that make sense?

Are certain deities calling to you in specific?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 24, 2010, 05:35:13 pm »

How do you view you deities (especially the Greek ones)? Can you give me any ideas as to how to view the stories and mythologies?

They are my Gods. I view the myths about them the way I do the myths surrounding any Gods, human stories designed to teach important truths about the world and the gods.  I don't think they are literally true, especially where they contradict history or science, but I think they still teach us about the Gods, how they think, and our relationship to them.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 24, 2010, 06:32:20 pm »

Some are just stories created by poets and not necessarily meant to be true, others are actual, true stories, and others are variations of stories but are no less true than the 'original' story. Some are also 'coded' tellings of the rites of the Mysteries, which I'll admit to sound weird when taken at face value, but when you really get into them they make more 'sense'. Some are also 'creation myths', aition, which were created or re-told to explain something that already existed. Personally, I give these a bit more room because while I don't view them as being false, I believe that they cover an underlying truth that got buried with the 'creation' of the new myth, and that kind of peeves me.

The thing about Greek (and by extension, Roman) myths is that there is a massively amount of varied versions on particular myths, because their culture survived relatively unmolested yet changing for a long period of time. Celtic and Norse myths (perhaps not the right terms, but bare with me?) didn't exactly fair the same. Egyptian myths I think fall somewhere in between, because we are still trying to uncover it all, and its boucing between pre-concieved notions of the Egyptians, the ignorance that has been given towards that culture, as well as trying to expand our knowledge of that particular culture that is NOT royalty-based. If that makes sense.

I think each particular version of a myth can tell something about the Gods and how they interact/interacted with us, as well as how each particular person thought of the Gods, as well as from what culture and time period they were from. Herodotus didn't view the gods the same as say Nonnus.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 24, 2010, 07:56:48 pm »

Are certain deities calling to you in specific?
Yes. Apollo has been in and out for over a year now and Selene came to me recently in a strange and unexpected manner.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)