The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 01, 2021, 07:05:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2021, 07:05:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: GM Foods  (Read 5885 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: June 26, 2010, 08:52:25 am »

So how do you feel about this sort of thing?

Genetically Altered Salmon Get Closer to the Table

The Food and Drug Administration is seriously considering whether to approve the first genetically engineered animal that people would eat — salmon that can grow at twice the normal rate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/business/26salmon.html?hp

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 26, 2010, 09:09:07 am »

My husband actually spent 6 years working with these exact salmon in a DFO (department of fisheries and oceans) lab. I see no problem with it my self. As natural fish stocks deplete, fish farming is going to become a much more viable option. So why not have fish that produce twice the meat is the same time frame of growth of normal fish. I would however like to see a study done to see if there are any long term effects in human maturation i.e., early puberty and such.

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 26, 2010, 09:14:41 am »

My husband actually spent 6 years working with these exact salmon in a DFO (department of fisheries and oceans) lab. I see no problem with it my self. As natural fish stocks deplete, fish farming is going to become a much more viable option. So why not have fish that produce twice the meat is the same time frame of growth of normal fish. I would however like to see a study done to see if there are any long term effects in human maturation i.e., early puberty and such.

So what happens when and if they escape to the wild?  This is the biggest problem I have with plant Gmo, and fish gmo may fit under that concern, if they can escape.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 26, 2010, 09:37:28 am »

The Food and Drug Administration is seriously considering whether to approve the first genetically engineered animal that people would eat — salmon that can grow at twice the normal rate.

I'm cool with it. We need more food for a growing population and the salmon in the wild aren't doing so hot, so this seems like a good solution.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 26, 2010, 09:52:35 am »

So what happens when and if they escape to the wild?  This is the biggest problem I have with plant Gmo, and fish gmo may fit under that concern, if they can escape.

The biggest concern with transgenic salmon escaping, is are they going to deplete the natural food sources of the wild fish because they consume in much higher quantities, however it seems that the wild fish have superior instincts and survival skills, and the possibility of escape is a real one if they are farmed in sea cages. However if they are raised in a hatchery type farm, where the fish are in tanks on land than the possibility of escape is NIL. I should also point out that the likely hood of these fish being farmed and sold at market, even if this is approved is probably not in the near future. The Transgenic salmon are much more susceptible to disease, and it causes problems when trying to keep them in mass quantities.

-Truman Capote
mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 26, 2010, 10:11:31 am »

The biggest concern with transgenic salmon escaping, is are they going to deplete the natural food sources of the wild fish because they consume in much higher quantities, however it seems that the wild fish have superior instincts and survival skills, and the possibility of escape is a real one if they are farmed in sea cages. However if they are raised in a hatchery type farm, where the fish are in tanks on land than the possibility of escape is NIL. I should also point out that the likely hood of these fish being farmed and sold at market, even if this is approved is probably not in the near future. The Transgenic salmon are much more susceptible to disease, and it causes problems when trying to keep them in mass quantities.

the issues of mass quantities is a different problem, i've read a little, ( a very little) that there is parasite issues as well, that make fish farming have the same problems of animal cruelty that the intensive hog farms have.

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 26, 2010, 10:43:50 am »

I'm on the fence with genetic foods.

On the one hand, I know that local farms cannot handle the growing population. However, on the other hand, I can't help but wonder what the genetic anomalies of food that has been tampered with could do to the human body that we haven't foreseen yet. Children are growing up faster because of all of the hormones we give to animals that we eventually eat from and drink from. What's to say that the changes made to these fish won't push for children to grow up even faster?

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
skyth
Journeyman
Last Login:February 25, 2014, 07:45:14 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 26, 2010, 11:01:31 am »

I'm on the fence with genetic foods.

On the one hand, I know that local farms cannot handle the growing population. However, on the other hand, I can't help but wonder what the genetic anomalies of food that has been tampered with could do to the human body that we haven't foreseen yet. Children are growing up faster because of all of the hormones we give to animals that we eventually eat from and drink from. What's to say that the changes made to these fish won't push for children to grow up even faster?

I realy doubt it will.  The hormones in animals can affect us because they are chemicals that our bodies use also.  Our bodies, however, do not combine the genetic code of what we eat with our own. 
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #8: June 26, 2010, 11:33:39 am »

I realy doubt it will.  The hormones in animals can affect us because they are chemicals that our bodies use also.  Our bodies, however, do not combine the genetic code of what we eat with our own. 

No. However, if the fish grow faster because they're genetically engineered to produce more growth hormone, that means we will consume more growth hormone as well.

--Chabas
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 26, 2010, 01:12:23 pm »

the issues of mass quantities is a different problem, i've read a little, ( a very little) that there is parasite issues as well, that make fish farming have the same problems of animal cruelty that the intensive hog farms have.

I think that the problem of mass quantities and of parasites are pretty much the same problem. They cannot be kept in mass because they are very susceptible to disease and it will spread rampant through an entire tank infecting the entire stock, the same can be said of parasites. They just cannot fight them off on their own. So the ability to produce enough fish to be sold in any quantity is unrealistic. I am not familliar with the hog farm problems your talking about, I will have to check it out.

-Truman Capote
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 26, 2010, 03:22:30 pm »

I think that the problem of mass quantities and of parasites are pretty much the same problem. They cannot be kept in mass because they are very susceptible to disease and it will spread rampant through an entire tank infecting the entire stock, the same can be said of parasites. They just cannot fight them off on their own. So the ability to produce enough fish to be sold in any quantity is unrealistic. I am not familliar with the hog farm problems your talking about, I will have to check it out.

The intensive hog farms (and chicken coops) have major air quality issues for the animals.  WOrker have to wear protective gear not just to keep pathogens out, but to keep the workers healthy from the air.  Then there's the lagoons of animal waste that can basically destroy land values for living on for miles around.  THeres usually too much of it to even properly use it as fertiliser.

Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 26, 2010, 04:09:19 pm »

The intensive hog farms (and chicken coops) have major air quality issues for the animals.  WOrker have to wear protective gear not just to keep pathogens out, but to keep the workers healthy from the air.  Then there's the lagoons of animal waste that can basically destroy land values for living on for miles around.  THeres usually too much of it to even properly use it as fertiliser.

Ok I see what you mean as far as animal cruelty in that context, but I am curious as to why you think that fish farming is comparable to what you said above.
( I am genuinely interested in your perspective I am not trying to come across as snarky.  Smiley I am completely immersed in the scientific part of this because of my husbands profession that I really like to hear an outside perspective.)

Mindy

-Truman Capote
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 26, 2010, 05:23:59 pm »

Ok I see what you mean as far as animal cruelty in that context, but I am curious as to why you think that fish farming is comparable to what you said above.
( I am genuinely interested in your perspective I am not trying to come across as snarky.  Smiley I am completely immersed in the scientific part of this because of my husbands profession that I really like to hear an outside perspective.)

Mindy

Well, I don't remember if the book was Animal Factory by David Kirby or Eating Animals, by Jonathon Safran Foer, but in talking about the life and death of the animals, the author was talking about the cleanliness of the water and the sea lice eating the fish's faces down to the bone, and it was because of the crowding.  Basically, the fish are living in fish poop and lice, and there's not that much that can actually be done about it given the densities needed to make this profitable.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 26, 2010, 05:47:04 pm »

Then there's the lagoons of animal waste that can basically destroy land values for living on for miles around.  THeres usually too much of it to even properly use it as fertiliser.

We live down river(s) from some industrial dairies. You have NO idea what it's done to the drinking water for Waco. There are times I  can open my dishwasher and smell cow shit. Walk by the bathrooms and smell it. Walk outside in the summer and can tell the neighbors have been watering their yards.

And then some jackass writes a letter to the editor of the local paper and talks about the "frivolous lawsuits" against the dairies.

Right. We pay out the ass for the water the city provides and we can't drink it. My language turned the air blue.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 26, 2010, 06:26:53 pm »

We live down river(s) from some industrial dairies. You have NO idea what it's done to the drinking water for Waco. There are times I  can open my dishwasher and smell cow shit. Walk by the bathrooms and smell it. Walk outside in the summer and can tell the neighbors have been watering their yards.

Thats really gross. I think that I would definatly be more than pissed.

-Truman Capote

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)