The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2021, 02:00:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2021, 02:00:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: GM Foods  (Read 6000 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: June 26, 2010, 06:56:37 pm »

Thats really gross. I think that I would definatly be more than pissed.

Oh you have no idea.

Both the Leon and Bosque rivers are considered compromised because of the runoff from these dairies. The problem started in the mid-90s and has just gotten worse and worse. You know when its rained in Leon and Bosque counties because the water here becomes so smelly you can barely stand to turn on the tap.

The dairymen say they'll be put out of business if they have to change their practices. I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever. I hope they ARE put out of business. These aren't family farms we're talking about. These are dairies with 30K-40K head of cattle. The rivers and lake can't support the shit that runs into them.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 26, 2010, 06:58:11 pm »

Thats really gross. I think that I would definatly be more than pissed.

basically, the cost of really dealing with the waste has been passed on to the locals, the neighbors and the town and county authorities, rather than the consumers of the milk and hamburger that those cows become.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: June 26, 2010, 07:01:34 pm »

basically, the cost of really dealing with the waste has been passed on to the locals, the neighbors and the town and county authorities, rather than the consumers of the milk and hamburger that those cows become.

Yep. Our water rates went through the roof, and because of the alerts, it's triggered the building of a new "flotation system" water plant...the taxpayers are, of course, signing the checks. The problem is there's no consensus on whether this type of plant will fix the water problem.

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 26, 2010, 11:14:33 pm »

Yep. Our water rates went through the roof, and because of the alerts, it's triggered the building of a new "flotation system" water plant...the taxpayers are, of course, signing the checks. The problem is there's no consensus on whether this type of plant will fix the water problem.

Not to get off topic, but we had water issues when I was living in Corpus Christi. There were always water alerts for E. Coli contamination and whatnot. Port Aransas (where I worked) was never issues bans because they doubly treat the water that came onto the island. Unfortunately, the treatment worked well enough to decontaminate but left the water smelling heavily of chlorine. =/

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 26, 2010, 11:17:13 pm »

No. However, if the fish grow faster because they're genetically engineered to produce more growth hormone, that means we will consume more growth hormone as well.

I have a buddy with a PhD in Poultry Nutrition, meaning he would know about this kind of thing, so let me get his thoughts on that and get back to you

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 26, 2010, 11:25:50 pm »

We live down river(s) from some industrial dairies. You have NO idea what it's done to the drinking water for Waco. There are times I  can open my dishwasher and smell cow shit.

I'm surprised they aren't telling you there's no connection

A few years ago, the county dumped something like a quarter million gallons of raw sewage into one of the local lakes, then closed the beaches for most of the summer because of unsafe bacteria levels in the water.

They insisted that the bacteria had nothing to do with the sewage dump, but you don't need to be a microbiologist to figure out where something called "Fecal Coliform" comes from ....
The very name suggests sewage

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: June 27, 2010, 08:39:49 am »

I'm surprised they aren't telling you there's no connection

A few years ago, the county dumped something like a quarter million gallons of raw sewage into one of the local lakes, then closed the beaches for most of the summer because of unsafe bacteria levels in the water.

They insisted that the bacteria had nothing to do with the sewage dump, but you don't need to be a microbiologist to figure out where something called "Fecal Coliform" comes from ....
The very name suggests sewage

It is too well documented. Everyone knows EXACTLY where it's coming from.

pashley
Last Login:December 07, 2011, 10:57:06 pm

Religion: none

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: July 07, 2010, 08:22:45 pm »

I think that the problem of mass quantities and of parasites are pretty much the same problem. They cannot be kept in mass because they are very susceptible to disease and it will spread rampant through an entire tank infecting the entire stock, the same can be said of parasites. They just cannot fight them off on their own. So the ability to produce enough fish to be sold in any quantity is unrealistic. I am not familiar with the hog farm problems your talking about, I will have to check it out.

i have a small tropical fish hatchery in my garage and i know from experience that crowding and water conditions will cause disease and parasite problems. i have run into problems getting fish from others for breeding purposes and finding out they are parasite infested or shortly after i get them i get deadly bacterial infections that no amount of antibiotic will treat. i basically am very careful in my own hatchery, if i don't have space to raise the babies i will sacrifice the spawn, i also cull a lot of babies because of their not meeting certain criteria. i have to play mother nature sometimes, i don't like to do it, but it is necessary. i can't sell my fish if they are sick, parasite infested or deformed because of bad water, stress, or overcrowding. this is really upsetting when the project i am working on is with a new color morph and they are hard enough to get a hold of and have shipped in, the stress alone can trigger all types of illness. i have to do a lot of  out crossing to keep the strains strong and healthy. sometime the fish i get in are inbred, and if i don't cross them with stronger genetics or strains i could lose all my hard work due to them being more susceptible to disease or genetic faults.

this genetically modified stuff really scares me. if it happens naturally like what i am working with, it is a different story, but to do what they are doing in the labs and then try to sell it as safe and healthy, is another story. i try really hard to not use lots of chemicals, antibiotics etc. on my fish. when i  get them healthy, i feed them well (make my own fish food) and do lots of water changes and give them as much room as possible.

sorry this is so long, hope it is understandable. i could go into much greater detail on things, but it probably would get boring.

patty

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)